Building a House in Thailand and what it cost.

Social Media

We've been lucky enough to keep it around 10k per m²

... present house build (2021) 120m², contracted at ฿1.1M.  

... previous build (2011) 160m², contracted at ฿1.7M

Just the main build, with a few add-ons later, and not including land price. Or any appliances.

I would expect to pay about ฿15k m², if building another, any time soon.

Reference to vid, 2.3M and used krap red block...

... no thanks

OK, had to peek...

Noticed 2 other 'titles' of his vids ...

... 'HH World's best place to retire'

... 'HH the Jewel of TH'

He needs to get out more.

Edited by KhunLA
  • Thumbs Up 1

As KhunLA mentioned,   10k baht  per/sqm will be sufficient as a low budget figure but enough to build a three bed, block construction, tiled roof, tiled floors throughout, standard fixtures & fittings.

something like this would cost slightly more  ....

image.png.33f1054dd5167c22537fdc0c4bfeea47.png

something like this could be done for 10k /sqm  ...

image.png.d66f962d4ceeca18ac4bcb2c89202227.png

Edited by steven100

We used the AAC block throughout, and rolled steel roof.

Why the same price for a build 10 yrs after the previous ?  That was an 'open', unfinished, 2 story house with raised roof.  Throw up some walls, and you doubled your living space. 

Basically one large veranda (flat roof), with raised rolled steel roof above, JIC needing a 2nd floor.  Extra concrete and steel of potentially added a 2nd floor.

I think current house builder, wanted like 500k more, to make present house 2 story.

Edited by KhunLA
  • Thanks 1

The cost per square meter is dependant on the way you calculate the area if your house, if in the U.K.  balconies, terraces and patios are excluded, and in the past rooms sizes plus stairs and landings was used. This makes sense as the roof overhang is usually zero or close to it. 
In Thailand where much greater use is made of shaded space outdoors, along with the shade of overhanging roofs the calculation is rather less clear or obvious as do you use 1) the living area, 2) the outside wall measurements or 3) the roofed area.

for us the difference between using the living area and the roofed area doubles the square meter cost 

• Thumbs Up 1

34 minutes ago, sometimewoodworker said:

The cost per square meter is dependant on the way you calculate the area if your house, if in the U.K.  balconies, terraces and patios are excluded, and in the past rooms sizes plus stairs and landings was used. This makes sense as the roof overhang is usually zero or close to it. 
In Thailand where much greater use is made of shaded space outdoors, along with the shade of overhanging roofs the calculation is rather less clear or obvious as do you use 1) the living area, 2) the outside wall measurements or 3) the roofed area.

for us the difference between using the living area and the roofed area doubles the square meter cost 

Yes, for me, it's walled in floor area, nothing outside (veranda, porch, carport, exposed Thai kitchen if having).   TH, I notice a lot consider it, anything under roof, no matter ir covers, and if 2 story, simply 2X, no matter if veranda, porches or balconies are under roof.

My step son built a a house just over a year ago in Isaan on wife family owed land 1,200,000,l 3 bedroom, big kitchen, T shaped living area, 2 bathroom on on suite, small rear garden, driveway it's great.

Costs are extra obviously for aircon etc when required and some furniture and fixings.

2 hours ago, KhunLA said:

Yes, for me, it's walled in floor area, nothing outside (veranda, porch, carport, exposed Thai kitchen if having).   TH, I notice a lot consider it, anything under roof, no matter ir covers, and if 2 story, simply 2X, no matter if veranda, porches or balconies are under roof.

You are clearly going by the European measurements. If I were to do the same and publish the numbers I would be considered to have a luxury high end building, this is clearly not the case, while our house is perfectly suited to our needs, is unique and is very comfortable, luxurious it is not.

My opinion is that the roofed area is a more appropriate and accurate way of calculating the area in the tropics considering the lifestyle here.

Edited by sometimewoodworker
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, sometimewoodworker said:

You are clearly going by the European measurements. If I were to do the same and publish the numbers I would be considered to have a luxury high end building, this is clearly not the case, while our house is perfectly suited to our needs, is unique and is very comfortable, luxurious it is not.

My opinion is that the roofed area is a more appropriate and accurate way of calculating the area in the tropics considering the lifestyle here.

If I was to go by roof area, the previous house would be 450 ish .  Though we only actually lived in 160 .  Rest was covered storage, patios, carport & covered pool, along with all the water tanks/covered.

image.png.2fb355170ca6f802fd8b7ce82921c4f6.png

Even the present house is probably knocking o 400 m², if including the greenhouse on adjacent lot, as 45+m².   Not much of the 400 m² lot isn't roofed over ????  Though we basically only use 106 m², not counting the laundry & storage, even though part of the house itself.

Yea, we downsized, as too much to take care of.  Hate living for the house.

image.png.537602c9108a1c99715660979caa4e2f.png

On Topic ... as always, for those building, can't be stressed enough, extended roofs and lots of wall shading.  Pays for itself, less AC needed.  Need to figure that extra in the budget.

Very first house build, , 2000, only cost about 350k, but cost another 450k, upgrading, to make up for my ignorance of the sun & shading.  Lots of extras from original build.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, KhunLA said:

the present house is probably knocking o 400 m², if including the greenhouse on adjacent lot, as 45+m². 

I wouldn’t include non contiguous areas & haven’t, if I did that would drop our price per square meter to well under 10k. The greenhouse is classified as an outbuilding.