Take Me Out Thailand Tangmo’s disgraceful mindset towards women is unwelcome in our society

webfact

Sadly, chivalry seems to be a rarity in Thailand.

I was on the BTS last week for the first time in years and whenever a seat became available in front of a couple, the male would take the seat, leaving his better half (?) standing.

This was not a one off, I observed this quite a few times during my journey, the woman was always left standing.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Bert got kinky said:

Some people were born with manners, it's probably not your fault that you grew up in an environment were giving a woman a back-hander was the norm.

Someone's upset ???? I grew up in upper-middle class California. Doubt you could afford living where I did.

Also, I guess it's not your fault either, that you grew up as a baby-boomer with weird delusions and hang-ups about women and "chivalry" (lol) and that debasing yourself like a cuckold in the hopes of  scoring some poon is just "manners" that every man should know, and if they don't, they must be some wife beater from Alabama ????????

Cracks me up dealing with guys this delusional and far gone.

Edited by HandsomeTallFarang
  • Like 1
  • Confused 3
  • Sad 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Bert got kinky said:

I was on the BTS last week for the first time in years and whenever a seat became available in front of a couple, the male would take the seat, leaving his better half (?) standing.

This was not a one off, I observed this quite a few times during my journey, the woman was always left standing.

I use the BTS several times a day and have never seen this happen.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, RandolphGB said:

Most of these TV shows are staged and heavily scripted by producers to create a certain narrative. 

In this case, move over North Korea, the manufactured propaganda was that foreigners are backwards and chauvinistic while Thais are forward-thinking, modern progressives. 

Thai Enquirer fell for it hook, line and sinker. Because, well, the people who run that website are pretty dim.

And those who fell for it all - here, there, everywhere - fit into the same category as well. 

5 hours ago, poskat said:

get back to me after the mia noi culture, the domestic violence shown on many thai soaps, and rural girls being sent to work the bars has been eradicated.

Quite.  What they mean is "Take Me Out Thailand Tangmo’s disgraceful mindset towards women is [fairly typical] in our society [but you're not meant to say it out loud]".

• Like 1

2 hours ago, HandsomeTallFarang said:

Why do you boomers do this self-debasing cringe lmao, "better half" do you not realize acting like you are beneath a woman is highly unattractive and eye-rolling? Women do not respect a man who acts like he is totally beneath her. I'm not talking about offering up a seat either, I'm talking about being utterly and completely castrated and spineless when dealing with women, referring to her as your "better half" and worshipping them like goddesses, making her in charge of YOUR finances, etc.

It's so pathetic and women don't even like it, they get embarrassed for the man when he does crap like getting on one knee, saying "my better half" and other boomer cringe "romance lessons" that you imparted on generations, thinking it was good advice.  Turns out women don't actually like submissive cuckolds who debase themselves at every possible opportunity for her sake, oops. 

Then like clockwork, boomers en masse getting cheated on and getting divorced in record numbers ???????? It's like a scene out of Monty Python. 

But tell us how you really feel...

2 hours ago, HandsomeTallFarang said:

Why do you boomers do this self-debasing cringe lmao, "better half" do you not realize acting like you are beneath a woman is highly unattractive and eye-rolling? Women do not respect a man who acts like he is totally beneath her. I'm not talking about offering up a seat either, I'm talking about being utterly and completely castrated and spineless when dealing with women, referring to her as your "better half" and worshipping them like goddesses, making her in charge of YOUR finances, etc.

It's so pathetic and women don't even like it, they get embarrassed for the man when he does crap like getting on one knee, saying "my better half" and other boomer cringe "romance lessons" that you imparted on generations, thinking it was good advice.  Turns out women don't actually like submissive cuckolds who debase themselves at every possible opportunity for her sake, oops. 

Then like clockwork, boomers en masse getting cheated on and getting divorced in record numbers ???????? It's like a scene out of Monty Python. 

OK Boomer....

4 minutes ago, Golden Triangle said:
1 hour ago, HandsomeTallFarang said:

Someone's upset ???? I grew up in upper-middle class California. Doubt you could afford living where I did.

Also, I guess it's not your fault either, that you grew up as a baby-boomer with weird delusions and hang-ups about women and "chivalry" (lol) and that debasing yourself like a cuckold in the hopes of  scoring some poon is just "manners" that every man should know, and if they don't, they must be some wife beater from Alabama ????????

Cracks me up dealing with guys this delusional and far gone.

Expand  

I don't quite see what that living where you were brought up has got to do with it, not as though you were paying the bills is it ?? your parents did that for you. 

I think he got confused between culture and financial situation.

• Thumbs Up 1

2 minutes ago, Stocky said:

I think he's just confused and emoticon dependent 

That's how he shows how young and "un-bommerish" he is.  Along with being emotional, making little sense, and showing a general lack of understanding of what is being discussed.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

The idea that Thailand's younger generations are more willing to put up with chauvinistic behavior than older generations is absolute nonsense, spouted by people who don't have a clue about Thai culture and can't speak the language.

If anything, Thailand's women today are less inclined to marry and have children, and are more independent and self-reliant than past generations. More educational and career opportunities are open to them today than in the past. Through social and entertainment media they have been exposed to feminism and changing roles in the household. There are also demographic shifts in play which have shifted the demand for women in their reproductive years in the favor of women. Don't forget the huge demand for wives coming out of China due to the one child policy.

I am no Lothario, but I have had a keen interest in how Thai men and women interact with one another, and have been observing their behavior in a village setting for almost 20 years, and before moving here read extensively on Asian culture. I have also taught high school for many years and raised a now age 25 step-daughter, so I think I know a little bit about younger generations as well.

The tyrannical, controlling, bossy, king-of-the-mountain prototype, engaging in endless extra-marital affairs and fathering out-of-wedlock children left and right that some posters seem to think is the norm in Thai culture is almost unheard of and is certainly not openly tolerated by Thai women.

If anyone wants to argue that a Thai village doesn't reflect the attitudes of modern metropolitan women, my response would be that rural Thailand is the cultural heartbeat of Thailand, many city dwellers grew up in rural areas, and rural areas provide a much better opportunity to observe social interactions between Thais than more anonymous urban settings.

In 20 years of living in a village and observing interactions between Thai men and women, I can't think of a single example of a Thai man bossing his wife around or openly womanizing. Furthermore, I have never observed a foreign guy with a Thai wife even trying to order his wife around or taking a "who pays the bills around here?" approach to resolving disputes. And if they did, invariably the marriage didn't last very long.

I can only speculate that any foreign guy who has managed to sustain the delusion that Thai women are submissive by nature and willing to continually defer to her boyfriend/husband's wishes or put up with chauvinistic behavior either haven't been here very long or is projecting this fantasy stereotype onto their partner who in turn is allowing that projection to go unchallenged for pecuniary motives. But once those pecuniary motives have been satisfied, it has been my observation that the mask invariably drops.

Edited by Gecko123
  • Thumbs Up 1

41 minutes ago, kidneyw said:
4 hours ago, jak2002003 said:

And also a women should offer her seat to an old man or disabled one. 

HaHa, I wish. Still waiting for it to happen.

I presume they didn't mean foreigners.  (Or "un-people".)

Edited by BangkokReady

7 hours ago, Bert got kinky said:

Must have been a long journey if you saw this several times. 

1 hour ago, Gecko123 said:

The idea that Thailand's younger generations are more willing to put up with chauvinistic behavior than older generations is absolute nonsense, spouted by people who don't have a clue about Thai culture and can't speak the language.

If anything, Thailand's women today are less inclined to marry and have children, and are more independent and self-reliant than past generations. More educational and career opportunities are open to them today than in the past. Through social and entertainment media they have been exposed to feminism and changing roles in the household. There are also demographic shifts in play which have shifted the demand for women in their reproductive years in the favor of women. Don't forget the huge demand for wives coming out of China due to the one child policy.

I am no Lothario, but I have had a keen interest in how Thai men and women interact with one another, and have been observing their behavior in a village setting for almost 20 years, and before moving here read extensively on Asian culture. I have also taught high school for many years and raised a now age 25 step-daughter, so I think I know a little bit about younger generations as well.

The tyrannical, controlling, bossy, king-of-the-mountain prototype, engaging in endless extra-marital affairs and fathering out-of-wedlock children left and right that some posters seem to think is the norm in Thai culture is almost unheard of and is certainly not openly tolerated by Thai women.

If anyone wants to argue that a Thai village doesn't reflect the attitudes of modern metropolitan women, my response would be that rural Thailand is the cultural heartbeat of Thailand, many city dwellers grew up in rural areas, and rural areas provide a much better opportunity to observe social interactions between Thais than more anonymous urban settings.

In 20 years of living in a village and observing interactions between Thai men and women, I can't think of a single example of a Thai man bossing his wife around or openly womanizing. Furthermore, I have never observed a foreign guy with a Thai wife even trying to order his wife around or taking a "who pays the bills around here?" approach to resolving disputes. And if they did, invariably the marriage didn't last very long.

I can only speculate that any foreign guy who has managed to sustain the delusion that Thai women are submissive by nature and willing to continually defer to her boyfriend/husband's wishes or put up with chauvinistic behavior either haven't been here very long or is projecting this fantasy stereotype onto their partner who in turn is allowing that projection to go unchallenged for pecuniary motives. But once those pecuniary motives have been satisfied, it has been my observation that the mask invariably drops.

Good post.

• Like 1