Titanic tourist sub goes missing in Atlantic Ocean, sparking search and rescue mission

Social Media

1 hour ago, proton said:

Probably dead already from an implosion, did not sound very safe to start with.

The sub was rated to 4000m, the Titanic is at 3800m. Slim margin, but still....

We all have seen Das Boot, no?

As it has not been found yet its either had a catastrophic implosian or just sittin on the seabed. All the best location devices have not located The sub. No lifting devices or brackets that a rope can be attached to raise it. The American dept that gives out safety notices only gave this " Titan " craft a cerificate for safely diving to 3 thousand metres. Titanic is two and a half miles down 12.500 mtrs. I would expect Ballard to come to the rescue attempt but times against them.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

19 hours ago, SunnyinBangrak said:

Not sure if that would work at depth?

Sorry I misspoke I should have said pinger not transponder another question I have is the craft is made of composite material how well does that show up on eco location (ie)sonar? I don’t know if that material gives a good return.most likely a moot point in any case 

Firstly Titanic is sat at 4,000 mtrs aprox 13,000 ft my mistake. The Sub is a composite material so Tug is correct it will be hard to find  on Sonar. So far all attempts trying to find it being air, Sonar, a remote controled underwater vehicle have failed to locate it. In my opinion now they will be looking for pieces of it on the seabed bearing in mind it was only 7 mtrs long. I hope i'm wrong but sadly I think its imploded.

1 hour ago, BarraMarra said:

Firstly Titanic is sat at 4,000 mtrs aprox 13,000 ft my mistake. The Sub is a composite material so Tug is correct it will be hard to find  on Sonar. So far all attempts trying to find it being air, Sonar, a remote controled underwater vehicle have failed to locate it. In my opinion now they will be looking for pieces of it on the seabed bearing in mind it was only 7 mtrs long. I hope i'm wrong but sadly I think its imploded.

I donno if it flooded and is full of water it would be in one piece if it was a catastrophic failure then yes most likely in pieces if it sprung a leak the air pressure inside would rise very quickly turning the nitrogen in the air into a poison real quick knocking everyone out but then again a moot point hope I’m wrong but they are most likely dead .you would think they would have a pinger 

I just listened to a pbs radio interview with someone who has dived aboard this vessel there are 3 systems to surface the craft automatically even if everyone is unconscious or dead they operate with water souliable links to drop weight and the tanks blow automatically after a certain amount of time my money is on it flooded or imploded .it was refreshing to hear actual real information about this vessel 

Edited by Tug

There's a story in the UK Papers about a friend of Hamish Harding who was booked to go on it but pulled out due to safety concerns... 

The headline in the Sun reads: "I was booked on doomed Titanic sub"

You would think that at $1 Million (4 x $250,000) a trip they would have some form of rescue vessel (like the unmanned vessels they've used to explore the Titanic) that shadowed the craft in case of emergencies. 

Edited by Mike Teavee
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

17 minutes ago, stevenl said:

When was the sub supposed to surface BTW? Can it not be a simple communication issue?

I believe it's supposed to be a relatively short (8 hours?) trip but they have an extra few days of oxygen onboard in case something does go wrong. 

It should certainly have re-surfaced by now. 

Banging sounds heard, its a race against time now.

'Banging' heard in 30-minute intervals
US media is reporting emails which say a Canadian search aircraft detected "banging" in 30-minute intervals coming from the area where the sub disappeared.

It is unclear when and how long the banging lasted.

The internal memos - reported by both Rolling Stone and CNN - say:

“The P8 [seacraft] deployed sonobuoys, which reported a contact in a position close to the distress position.

https://www.bbc.com/news/live/world-us-canada-65953941

• Thumbs Up 1

if its just a Comms issue power would still be able to resurface the craft. yet it still has not surfaced so it must have lost all elecricle systems resulting in it settling on the seabed. It is reported knocking has been heard from Sonar buoys dropped by a Canadian search plane. Just been watching TV news and the question was asked why is the hatch bolted down from above frigtening resonse is, the first thing someone will do is panic if there trapped in anything with a door the ist thing they will do is go for a hatch thinking they can escape.

Titanic sub search : Banging picked up by sonar devices deployed by Canadian air force

The US Coastguard says remote underwater vehicles have been redeployed after banging noises were heard in the search for the missing Titan submersible, which last night had just 40 hours of oxygen left.

Sky News

• Like 1

yes ....  this is very serious indeed,   time is critical with their oxygen depleted and the sub still not located. 

we prey for all those onboard.

very sad.