A ray of hope for Aussie mum in a coma after life-threatening tumble in Thailand (video)

webfact

image.jpeg

The husband of an Aussie mum of three left in a coma after an accidental fall in Thailand announced that there has been an improvement to his wife’s condition but added she is still in a critical condition.

Kylee Enwright has been in a coma for more than three weeks following a fall that caused her to hit her head in Khao Lak, southern Thailand. The 48 year old mother from Singleton, New South Wales, lost consciousness and suffered head and ear bleeding due to the incident.

The Aussie mum had stepped off a wooden deck and unexpectedly plunged about a metre to the ground below. This seemingly innocuous misstep led to a severe head injury, necessitating emergency brain surgery to remove a portion of her skull.

After the accident, she was swiftly transported to a nearby medical centre, where her wounds were stitched, and she was intubated for assistance with breathing.

Following this, Enwright was admitted to a larger hospital in Phuket, where she underwent brain surgery for six hours. Subsequently, she was placed in an induced coma for medical purposes.

by Bob Scott

Pictures courtesy of GoFundMe/Facebook

Full story: https://thethaiger.com/hot-news/expats/a-ray-of-hope-for-aussie-mum-in-a-coma-after-life-threatening-tumble-in-thailand-video

Thaiger

-- © Copyright Thaiger 2023-06-21

- Cigna offers a range of visa-compliant plans that meet the minimum requirement of medical treatment, including COVID-19, up to THB 3m. For more information on all expat health insurance plans click here.

The most versatile and flexible rental investment and holiday home solution in Thailand - click for more information.

• Sad 10

29 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

Lots of complaints about this insurance company here…

lots of accusations of calling the company ‘scammers’… I’m inclined to agree. 

https://www.comparetravelinsurance.com.au/travel-insurance-companies/cover-more

Thanks Richard. I posted before I saw your post...:thumbsup:

• Love It 1

Travel insurance is just a scam that looks for every way possible to not pay up when needed, of course people will have a drink on holidays and why shouldn't they,,, put up the name of the insurance company and Boycott it

• Like 1
  • Sad 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Jonathan Swift said:

The head is a vulnerable place, as you know, all it takes is a hit on a hard surface or even a punch. Glad you were fortunate in your accident. When walking in Thailand I constantly remind myself to be aware of my surroundings, especially those tiled sidewalks when they are wet with unexpected puddles. 

Agree and also holes in the tiled walkways plus steep kerbs and then navigating the vendors wares that occupy most of the pavement . Thailand should take a leaf out of some European promenades that are spacious and well maintained .  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Lacessit said:

I believe there is a "good faith" clause in most insurance policies

The doctrine of utmost good faith is about the disclosures at the point of the agreement, not over disputes when an event arises.

The doctrine requires that the prospective insured (insuree) provides all relevant information that it could be imagined the reasonable insurer would want to know.

A lot of insured people think that the agreement is solid if they kept things quiet. But with this doctrine, the insurance company can go back to the original moment of signing and void the agreement.

This is not that situation.

$200,000 USD is over $300,000 AUD. Sounds suspiciously like the hospitals having a lend of them dollar wise. Even my Thai wife thought it seemed excessive medical bill. Nearly 7,000,000 baht!

4 hours ago, scubascuba3 said:

Insurers maintained their reputation by denying the claim, apparently due to alcohol. It's getting to the point where insurance is worthless

Because they drank 10 Long Island Ice tea's which equals 22.5 shots before they went to dinner.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Gaccha said:

The doctrine of utmost good faith is about the disclosures at the point of the agreement, not over disputes when an event arises.

The doctrine requires that the prospective insured (insuree) provides all relevant information that it could be imagined the reasonable insurer would want to know.

A lot of insured people think that the agreement is solid if they kept things quiet. But with this doctrine, the insurance company can go back to the original moment of signing and void the agreement.

This is not that situation.

Unless the policy specified the traveler could not drink alcohol while insured, I'd say there was a lack of good faith by the insurer.

• Thumbs Up 1

12 minutes ago, Lacessit said:

Unless the policy specified the traveler could not drink alcohol while insured, I'd say there was a lack of good faith by the insurer.

They will always have a clause stating intoxication which will roughly follow the drink driving limit as a guage. So a glass of wine would not be relevant. There also has to be a potential contributory factor,so if say she was sitting at a roadside cafe well over the limit and a car smashed into it there would be no question of it being contributory . Falling down while well drunk however...

• Like 1

4 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

Lots of complaints about this insurance company here…

lots of accusations of calling the company ‘scammers’… I’m inclined to agree. 

https://www.comparetravelinsurance.com.au/travel-insurance-companies/cover-more

That actually sounds like more of a broker/agent rather than the actual underwriters. If so,You buy the policy through them but it's only in the event of a claim do you actually come into direct contact with the actual underwriters claims department 

5 hours ago, hotchilli said:

Name and shame the insurance company.

Once they are publicly known I hope they lose thousands of customers.

I totally agree... however,i think this falls into the wishful thinking category.

Poor girl. i have nothing but sympathy for her. many years ago i fell on my head, got a concussion, and ended up deaf in one ear with tinnitus that is actually quite loud sometimes making it difficult to hear what others say because of said tinnitus.

a couple of months ago i fell off a ladder only about a meter off the ground. ended up in the emergency room in terrible pain. i truly feel for her. life is not an action movie where one survives a major explosion without having shrapnel embedded in ones body as hollywood would have us believe.

this also makes me think of all the tough people out there wanting a fight. one wrong punch will also land you in a coma, or worst, death. we, humans, are truly terrible to each other. 

I hope this woman comes out ok. if she doesnt have a gofundme, she deserves one. i usually look down on gofundme pages, but this case deserves one and ????deserves help

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Pouatchee said:

this also makes me think of all the tough people out there wanting a fight. one wrong punch will also land you in a coma, or worst, death. we, humans, are truly terrible to each other. 

Would point out men can usually take a few punches to the head, whereas women usually can't.

• Thumbs Up 1

1 minute ago, BritManToo said:

Would point out men can usually take a few punches to the head, whereas women usually can't.

agreed. but men should save that superhuman skill for when it is necessary such as breaking down a door with ones head on a house on fire to save a baby????, not bar stool fights. unfortunately:crazy:

• Love It 1