Pattaya Residents Fed Up With Pushy Migrant Beggars

webfact

4 hours ago, Bim Smith said:

Pattaya is the Blackpool of Thailand. If that is all that makes you fed up of the place then I have no words. I wonder if immigration bother with them or is it just farrangs they shake down 

Well presumably they, the Vietnamese beggars have little money, so they shake down the farangs, who generally do have money?

If they round up all these Vietnamese beggars, then they would have to feed them all and accommodate them somewhere, being under a certain age would bring more problems for the THAI authorities easier just to arrest a couple of farang 

• Like 2

In this case I think there is a thin line between beging and selling. Where I live every Friday there are one or two beggers along walking street who can only sit on a mat showing their twisted and worn out limbs.  The certainly don't get up and walk home at the end of the evening so they are begging but are small girls begging who are selling flowers ?

• Thumbs Up 1

5 hours ago, DjSilver said:

Wait, so the scammers and prostitutes in Pattaya are fed up because thry can't get more money from foreigners?

Get a life losers, and what about life in prison or the death penalty for every Thai who just tries to scam a foreigner? Yes,  just tries and thrown in jail for life or the death penalty? That would be great.

Unfortunately, Asia now also publishes such a stupid comment....:coffee1:

Reminds me of London way back in the 70's or 80's, when grubby Gypsy women used to force a tiny sprig of 'lucky' heather on you, and then attack you or make a huge scene if you didn't give them some silly amount of money for it.

When I was in Hanoi walking down the street there would suddenly be a woman carrying a baby and begging. I gave her some money, then walked around a corner and there was a dozen of them all with babies and begging..Nothing new, they’ve just brought it to Thailand.

Pushy Beggars, in Thailand???? I have been here since February 2019 and so far I haven't come across one beggar. I also hitchhiked all over Thailand back in the 1960s and never once crossed paths with any beggars. On the other hand, San Francisco, which is my hometown, is full of pushy and sometimes aggressive and dangerous beggars. Bottom-line, I'm very happy living here in Thailand. The people here are very polite and friendly and I can walk anywhere without the need to be continually on guard.

1 hour ago, SS1 said:

I've always wondered why do restaurants and bars let these people into their establishments. Some kind of buddhist compassion thing possibly? 

Yes, you would expect them to get turfed out, must be a local thing, they do not like to interfere with another's earning methods! I recall one English bar owner had a line they were not allowed to step over,  unless a customer wanted to look more closely at what they were selling. The little kids with a tray of candies and gum would give you the big sad eyes as far back as the 1980s. and maybe your Zippo would vanish,

• Like 1

8 hours ago, flyingtlger said:
8 hours ago, webfact said:

these beggars, with some carrying infants to evoke sympathy, wandered around crowded tourist destinations in Pattaya and tried to forcefully sell flowers and candies to international tourists. This has caused a great deal of annoyance among tourists and has ruined the city’s reputation.

Expand  

That's like the pot calling the kettle black.....

How?  Are you suggesting that Pattaya residents are also involved in the flower- and candy-selling trade?   That's the only way that the pot could be accused of calling the kettle black in this case.

• Confused 2
  • Haha 1

7 hours ago, DjSilver said:

Wait, so the scammers and prostitutes in Pattaya are fed up because thry can't get more money from foreigners?

No, that's not what was reported, try reading the title and the article;  this is about Pattaya residents complaining, not "scammers and prostitutes" complaining.

• Confused 1
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, glegolo18 said:

So if you are a beggar, begging out on the street. That to me is a sign that you do not have any money and is here falsly or by fraud... Like thai goverment says to us white people "show us the money"......  And force us to "show" 400K baht or 800K baht....

Do the very same for these beggars and if they cannot meet the demand or they are begging in the streets, forget the Asean and just kick them out..

You could of course say "not today thank you" and walk on by. You could of course simply walk on by and ignore them.

I remember In Pattaya in the 90s a thai guy about 50 with a crutch under one armpit would hobble around beer bars begging. Out of sight (or so he thought) he would carry the crutch in one hand and trot nimbly over to his motor scooter and ride on to his next target !! 

1 hour ago, cnx101 said:

And has ruined the city’s reputation, if I went there which I wouldn’t I’d sooner have someone sell me a flower than get my watch wallet ripped off.

Oh you can get all or none of it......have you ever been here or do you comment from a position of ignorance?

10 hours ago, Bim Smith said:

Pattaya is the Blackpool of Thailand. If that is all that makes you fed up of the place then I have no words. I wonder if immigration bother with them or is it just farrangs they shake down 

I recently stayed for 3 months in Blackpool.  I can vouch for the fact that Blackpool cannot be considered as the Pattaya of the UK...!

• Like 2

11 hours ago, flyingtlger said:

That's like the pot calling the kettle black.....

Yes, the young flower sellers are back in my neck of the woods, when they should be tucked up in bed readying themselves for school in the morning!

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, Hammerite said:

I remember In Pattaya in the 90s a thai guy about 50 with a crutch under one armpit would hobble around beer bars begging. Out of sight (or so he thought) he would carry the crutch in one hand and trot nimbly over to his motor scooter and ride on to his next target !! 

I can beat that - a "blind singing" beggar at the end of the main street, round a corner out of sight (pun intended) counting his evenings takings!

• Sad 1

They sell stuff:

"they forcefully push flowers and candies to tourists."

They are pushy, annoying, street vendors.

But they are not beggars.

Nobody notice that?.......too busy raging?

Edited by Enoon
  • Thanks 2

12 hours ago, DjSilver said:

Get a life losers, and what about life in prison or the death penalty for every Thai who just tries to scam a foreigner? Yes,  just tries and thrown in jail for life or the death penalty? That would be great.

The death penalty? Blimey, wouldn't fancy you in charge of a nation. 

17 hours ago, Ralf001 said:
23 hours ago, Liverpool Lou said:

this is about Pattaya residents complaining, not "scammers and prostitutes" complaining.

The scammers and prostitutes are not Pattaya residents ?

I'm sure that there could well be some but that is irrelevant to the OP as they are not the ones complaining about the noise, that was my point.

45 minutes ago, Liverpool Lou said:

I'm sure that there could well be some but that is irrelevant to the OP as they are not the ones complaining about the noise, that was my point.

The noise thing makes sense given the location but I thought the complaint as posted by the OP was "beggers" selling flowers and candies to tourists ?