After Many Decades Living in Thailand (or Asia), ... Do You Sometimes Dream of your First Wife....Left Back in the "Old Country"? Do you dream VIVID Dreams about her, too?

18 minutes ago, GammaGlobulin said:

And, as far as I know, he did it in just one continuous take.

I stopped counting at possibly 10 cuts, and not even halfway through.

13 minutes ago, GammaGlobulin said:

I am sure everyone here experiences these dreams.

But, fortunately, not all will write about them.

NO, never dream about her/#1, and rarely think about her, can't really remember the last time she crossed my mind, until this topic.  Nice quick flashback.  The good times, as I never dwell on negatives.   

Probably why I never think about #3 (1st Thai wife).  

I prefer to always move forward, rarely look back, unless entertaining myself with my early silliness, and single life.   Still in contact with #2, as one of my few FB friends, all of 15, I think, and most family, just to keep in touch.

Edited by KhunLA
  • Like 1

48 minutes ago, zzaa09 said:

Do you know what the song NOWHERE MAN was a euphemism [or misdirection] regarding? 

Thank you for the question.

What is your thinking about this?

I know mine, having been born seven decades ago.

I would NOT consider that the Beatles used the word, NOWHERE, or NOWHERE MAN, euphemistically.

Nowhere is not a euphemism.

Neither is the word man a euphemism.

And, "Nowhere Man" is also not a euphemism for anything.

But, if you disagree, please shed light.

• Love It 1

1 minute ago, GammaGlobulin said:

Thank you for the question.

What is your thinking about this?

I know mine, having been born seven decades ago.

I would NOT consider that the Beatles used the word, NOWHERE, or NOWHERE MAN, euphemistically.

Nowhere is not a euphemism.

Neither is the word man a euphemism.

And, "Nowhere Man" is also not a euphemism for anything.

But, if you disagree, please shed light.

In case you do not know...the tune goes like this....

Rubber Soul was DYNAMITE....

At the time.

• Love It 1

59 minutes ago, KhunLA said:

Do you not agree that the meaning of the song is completely obvious?

There is nothing hidden.

One just needs to read the lyrics, line by line.

This song is just as pertinent to our present age as it was to the times of the mid-60s.

One Theme: We become ensnarled in the pursuit of our goals, and consequently lose sight of the meaning of life, for example. And then, when we ultimately realize that we have become bamboozled and distracted from what we now, finally, realize to be important, then it's too late.  Or, we remain completely ignorant of the reality in which we live....

This was basically sort of a hippy song, as well, in reaction to the ESTABLISHMENT.

Lennon seems to be talking about unthinking Cogs in the Wheel, similar to the theme of Metropolis.

However, Metropolis is a much better film than Lennon's song.

Lennon probably wrote his lyrics while his brain was soaked in drugs, not unlike Poe, also.

So then, maybe better to watch the silent film METROPOLIS, 1927, while, AT THE SAME TIME, listening to Rubber Soul, in order to comprehend the TRUE meaning of this amazing 1965 LP.

By the way...

At the time, I was there (not in 1927, obviously).

Were you?

I know what it was like at the time of the recording of Rubber Soul.

We had blackouts on LI. We had guys shooting arrows from crossbows into our helicopters in Vietnam.

This was a time of palpable ALIENATION.

University campuses, in the following few years would be completely shut down due to student action.

We had children killed at Kent State University.

I can't explain it to you...but....

It was...a... Gas, Gas, GAS!

Edited by GammaGlobulin
  • Love It 1

2 hours ago, save the frogs said:

Tom Petty is the best. 

He's too famous, though ... and hates the spotlight ... so he doesn't even eat out in restaurants much apparently. 

Yeah, he hasn't been to a restaurant since he died anyway. 

• Love It 1
  • Haha 1

26 minutes ago, GammaGlobulin said:

Do you not agree that the meaning of the song is completely obvious?

There is nothing hidden.

One just needs to read the lyrics, line by line.

This song is just as pertinent to our present age as it was to the times of the mid-60s.

One Theme: We become ensnarled in the pursuit of our goals, and consequently lose sight of the meaning of life, for example. And then, when we ultimately realize that we have become bamboozled and distracted from what we now, finally, realize to be important, then it's too late.  Or, we remain completely ignorant of the reality in which we live....

This was basically sort of a hippy song, as well, in reaction to the ESTABLISHMENT.

Lennon seems to be talking about unthinking Cogs in the Wheel, similar to the theme of Metropolis.

However, Metropolis is a much better film than Lennon's song.

Lennon probably wrote his lyrics while his brain was soaked in drugs, not unlike Poe, also.

So then, maybe better to watch the silent film METROPOLIS, 1927, while, AT THE SAME TIME, listening to Rubber Soul, in order to comprehend the TRUE meaning of this amazing 1965 LP.

By the way...

At the time, I was there (not in 1927, obviously).

Were you?

I know what it was like at the time of the recording of Rubber Soul.

We had blackouts on LI. We had guys shooting arrows from crossbows into our helicopters in Vietnam.

This was a time of palpable ALIENATION.

University campuses, in the following few years would be completely shut down due to student action.

We had children killed at Kent State University.

I can't explain it to you...but....

It was...a... Gas, Gas, GAS!

Never got caught up in the rat race.  Being the ever LPOS, I just didn't care and more concerned about my smile now.

One of my first LPs, and pretty much my theme song on life:

Edited by KhunLA

1 hour ago, KhunLA said:

I stopped counting at possibly 10 cuts, and not even halfway through.

NO, never dream about her/#1, and rarely think about her, can't really remember the last time she crossed my mind, until this topic.  Nice quick flashback.  The good times, as I never dwell on negatives.   

Probably why I never think about #3 (1st Thai wife).  

I prefer to always move forward, rarely look back, unless entertaining myself with my early silliness, and single life.   Still in contact with #2, as one of my few FB friends, all of 15, I think, and most family, just to keep in touch.

Thank you.

You may be correct that you counted "cuts" in the UTUBE copy of this Ole dance.

However, it's still true that Van Dyke did this entire dance in JUST ONE CUT.

"The song and dance are performed by Dick Van Dyke and about fifteen other men. On Remembering Chitty Chitty Bang Bang with Dick Van Dyke, Van Dyke says that "Me Ol' Bamboo" was the most difficult dancing act he ever undertook.[1]"

I doubt that you will be able to prove a negative.

However, I am positive that I am correct that Van Dyke stated he did the entire thing in just one take.

Let's not quibble.

Please just trust me, and you can call me Pi, too.

I will call you "nong", if that's OK, as well.

• Love It 1

1 minute ago, GammaGlobulin said:

Thank you.

You may be correct that you counted "cuts" in the UTUBE copy of this Ole dance.

However, it's still true that Van Dyke did this entire dance in JUST ONE CUT.

"The song and dance are performed by Dick Van Dyke and about fifteen other men. On Remembering Chitty Chitty Bang Bang with Dick Van Dyke, Van Dyke says that "Me Ol' Bamboo" was the most difficult dancing act he ever undertook.[1]"

I doubt that you will be able to prove a negative.

However, I am positive that I am correct that Van Dyke stated he did the entire thing in just one take.

Let's not quibble.

Please just trust me, and you can call me Pi, too.

I will call you "nong", if that's OK, as well.

Dick Van Dyke, a favorite, and multi talented.  The Dick Van Dyke Show, & his movies were great entertainment as a youngin.

21 minutes ago, KhunLA said:

Never got caught up in the rat race.  Being the ever LPOS, I just didn't care and more concerned about my smile now.

One of my first LPs, and pretty much my theme song on life:

The Main Point, Bryn Mawr? 

I am nong, and you are pi, it seems. 

Edited by GammaGlobulin
  • Love It 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

2 hours ago, GammaGlobulin said:

Hmmm... 

Why is it that it's always the guys from Down Under, lying in hammocks, who seem to believe they have a monopoly on satire? 

Also, why is it that Americans improperly substitute the word laying, when they should say lying? 

For example... 

The hen was laying in the hay 

The hen was lying in the hay 

I know that you you know the difference. 

Americans think these two utterances are equivalent. 

Laying and lying are not the same. 

I lived in America for 62 years, and never came across any Americans that didn't know the difference between the two words. When you say, "I know that you know the difference', who are you talking about? How many Americans do you actually know, so you can pass judgement on what Americans think? As far as the original post, why is it your business to ask what others do or fantasize about with other women? Are you trying to put others into your type of thinking, hoping others will admit to what they actually fantasize about? Isn't sex between two people supposed to be personal business? At least after you pass teenage bragging thinking. Then this statement,."Once you have had your fill here, after several decades, you naturally become somewhat satiated." There are many farangs here I'm sure, and I know quite a few, who are happy with their wives and aren't here for just conquests like many tourists are. I myself came here and got married, to the wrong Thai, but I was willing to stay if she didn't go wrong. A person who looks at women , meaning plural, as something to get your fill of, is a user. No matter how bad a woman treats you, there are others that won't. A lot of women here look at us as money, because they don't know any better and are greedy, both for things, and a life different than one with a local man who either cheats, doesn't help with the kids, contribute to the family or just leaves. Many have had their "fill" of those that look at women as objects, like the farangs that do the same that come here. Everyone thinks about their past loves, and asking if they do is a normal question. What they think about with them and what positions? How old are we? What you assume about others might be right on, but is it your business? Better to send it to Penthouse, where others think the same, and where the answers are as impersonal and true bu**<deleted>.

3 hours ago, GammaGlobulin said:

Hmmm... 

Why is it that it's always the guys from Down Under, lying in hammocks, who seem to believe they have a monopoly on satire? 

Also, why is it that Americans improperly substitute the word laying, when they should say lying? 

For example... 

The hen was laying in the hay 

The hen was lying in the hay 

I know that you you know the difference. 

Americans think these two utterances are equivalent. 

Laying and lying are not the same. 

I understand you have a former President who is quite proficient with lying. But then, most politicians are.

Why is it Americans pronounce aluminium differently? Elements such as sodium, calcium, potassium - about 23 in all - seem to present no difficulty. Imagine the chaos if everyone dropped the "i" in all the others.

My apologies for not responding sooner, I was busy carting firewood and performing my ablutions.

10 minutes ago, jerrymahoney said:

That assumes you  had a first or second (or more for some) wife before coming to Thailand.

Yes. In my case, I have had two legal wives. I married my first wife in Marryland, USA. . My second wife, I wed in Delaware. 

We spent our honeymoon under the Chesapeake Bay Bridge. 

It wasn't your typical Annapolis wedding. 

But it wasn't Baltimore, either. 

It was sort of romantic. We had sailed across the bay, dropped anchor, and then after having been wedded, we waited out the night in the forward cabin before sailing back to our mooring on the opposite side of the bay. 

In those days, the shorelines were far less populated than now. You might even say that, on the northern shore, most people seemed almost impoverished, and fundamentally ignorant about the rest of the country. 

These days, so I have heard, there are many millionaires who have bought up waterfront property in order to establish very upscale Bed & Breakfast retreats for the wealthy. 

But, when I married my second wife, it was mostly ramshackle shacks, housing people with no more than a junior high school education, if that. 

These days, that area has become more genteel, expensive, and educated. 

And the Bay is suffering. 

It's funny how a few short years of explosive exponential growth can completely change both the landscape and the culture of a place. 

Looking back now, my advice would be... 

Buy waterfront property in 1970. 

Sell waterfront property in 2023. 

Then, use the proceeds to buy fine art, maybe even a Van Gogh. 

Personally, I prefer Peach Trees. 

Although I dream of my First Wife at night, while awake, I often dream of peaches. 

Peaches 

Baltimore 

Two amazing tunes. 

• Like 1
  • Love It 1

46 minutes ago, fredwiggy said:

There are many farangs here I'm sure, and I know quite a few, who are happy with their wives and aren't here for just conquests like many tourists 

P4P is not a conquest, just a business transaction.  

10 minutes ago, GammaGlobulin said:

Yes. In my case, I have had two legal wives. I married my first wife in Marryland, USA. . My second wife, I wed in Delaware. 

Trivia tidbit ... he never visited Baltimore before writing the song, just impressions from passing through.

https://www.songfacts.com/facts/randy-newman/baltimore

Edited by KhunLA

17 minutes ago, Lacessit said:

I understand you have a former President who is quite proficient with lying. But then, most politicians are.

Why is it Americans pronounce aluminium differently? Elements such as sodium, calcium, potassium - about 23 in all - seem to present no difficulty. Imagine the chaos if everyone dropped the "i" in all the others.

My apologies for not responding sooner, I was busy carting firewood and performing my ablutions.

You really should decamp to the Japanese countryside where you can use real hardwood to heat your bathwater. 

Anyway, honestly, I wish I could go with you. 

• Love It 1

14 minutes ago, KhunLA said:

Trivia tidbit ... he never visited Baltimore before writing the song, just impressions from passing through.

https://www.songfacts.com/facts/randy-newman/baltimore

Maybe he was thinking of Newark, but then...He finally decided that the lyrics just didn't sound right, and, thusly, opted for Baltimore, sort of at random.  We shall never know.

IF only, somebody could buy us a big-enough wagon to haul us all away.

Driving through NJ on the NJ Turnpike, the stink of it is just completely overwhelming.

It was the same, as you might know, in 1960.

The refineries keep on belching.

Nothing new.

We will need ALL of the renewables, PLUS .....  ALL of the underground carbon, just to get us by....

• Love It 1

30 minutes ago, GammaGlobulin said:

It was sort of romantic. We had sailed across the bay, dropped anchor, and then after having been wedded, we waited out the night in the forward cabin before sailing back to our mooring on the opposite side of the bay. 

In those days, the shorelines were far less populated than now. You might even say that, on the northern shore, most people seemed almost impoverished, and fundamentally ignorant about the rest of the country. 

These days, so I have heard, there are many millionaires who have bought up waterfront property in order to establish very upscale Bed & Breakfast retreats for the wealthy. 

But, when I married my second wife, it was mostly ramshackle shacks, housing people with no more than a junior high school education, if that. 

These days, that area has become more genteel, expensive, and educated. 

And the Bay is suffering. 

It's funny how a few short years of explosive exponential growth can completely change both the landscape and the culture of a place. 

Looking back now, my advice would be... 

Buy waterfront property in 1970. 

Sell waterfront property in 2023. 

Then, use the proceeds to buy fine art, maybe even a Van Gogh. 

Personally, I prefer Peach Trees. 

Although I dream of my First Wife at night, while awake, I often dream of peaches. 

Peaches 

Baltimore 

Two amazing tunes. 

image.jpeg.207f5e87e8a8bbbf029ca1e2cf835d85.jpeg

• Love It 1

11 minutes ago, GammaGlobulin said:

You really should decamp to the Japanese countryside where you can use real hardwood to heat your bathwater. 

Anyway, honestly, I wish I could go with you. 

We have real hardwoods in Australia, most of the softwoods are introduced species.

Mountain Ash, Red Gum, Ti-Tree, Mallee roots and Tasmanian Blue Gum all burn hot and long. Ironbark was named that for good reason.

http://www.wallisandmatilda.com.au/man-from-ironbark.shtml

I shower, baths IMO are for hippopotami.

3 minutes ago, GammaGlobulin said:

Driving through NJ on the NJ Turnpike, the stink of it is just completely overwhelming.

It was the same, as you might know, in 1960.

The refineries keep on belching.

Nothing new.

We will need ALL of the renewables, PLUS .....  ALL of the underground carbon, just to get us by....

You got that right, I used to work at Newark airport, (1980/81) and lived way down off exit 8 / Hightstown.   Which turned out really advantageous most days, as was able to fly to work out of Princeton.

A double win, as the employee parking lot was on the other side of the highway, and had to allow 30-45 minutes, if you missed the first shuttle over.

I think around exit 10 or 11, it started and the stench was repulsive.  Don't now how people lived there.

Remember reading the headline at Princeton airport early in the morning, "John Lennon Shot & Killed".   Along with being at work, and announcing on the PA at the gate, Reagan had just been shot.   Didn't quite hit the news channel at the airport ... talk about a hushed silence.

8 minutes ago, Lacessit said:

We have real hardwoods in Australia, most of the softwoods are introduced species.

Mountain Ash, Red Gum, Ti-Tree, Mallee roots and Tasmanian Blue Gum all burn hot and long. Ironbark was named that for good reason.

http://www.wallisandmatilda.com.au/man-from-ironbark.shtml

I shower, baths IMO are for hippopotami.

Sorry.

But did you say a Red GUM tree?

Because, I have always wondered about this song....

• Love It 1