Tourist visa via www.thaievisa.go.th

I'm a 52 year old Australian citizen currently in London. I have indefinite leave to remain, so considered resident here.

I'm trying to apply for a Tourist Visa (with a view to converting to a non-immigrant O once in country).

The page here; https://www.thaievisa.go.th/tourist-visa states the following requirements;
1. Passport or travel document with validity not less than 6 months.
2. Photograph of the applicant, taken within the past six months.
3. Evidence of travel from Thailand (air ticket paid in full).
4. Evidence of adequate finance (20,000 Baht per person and 40,000 Baht per family).

But, when I try to make an application, I'm being asked for a lot of extra documents including;
5 . Proof of accommodation in Thailand, e.g. Accommodation bookings, invitation letters from family/friends in Thailand
8 . A confirmation letter from employer, School, Self-assessment, Pension statement
9 . Identity of the person inviting you to stay e.g. Thai ID card, Passport

Some of this is a problem.

Number 8. I don't have an employer, I don't do to School and I don't have a pension. What can I do? I don't even know what it is they're trying to confirm.

Number 9. I don't have anyone inviting me to visit Thailand. I'm sure most visitors to Thailand have the same problem. Many first time visitors probably don't even know anyone in Thailand. 

Are these extra documents being asked for in error? Have others had the same experience?

Thanks in advance.

1 hour ago, Thailand Tiger said:

I'm trying to apply for a Tourist Visa (with a view to converting to a non-immigrant O once in country).

Do you have an existing Thai bank account? 

You could consider entering Thailand visa exempt and applying for non O retirement in Thailand.

You would need to be able to transfer 800k into your Thai bank.

You would require 15 days + on your 30 day entry stamp to apply for the non O.

To buy more time you could obtain a 30 day extension. 

• Confused 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

3 hours ago, DrJack54 said:

Do you have an existing Thai bank account? 

You could consider entering Thailand visa exempt and applying for non O retirement in Thailand.

You would need to be able to transfer 800k into your Thai bank.

You would require 15 days + on your 30 day entry stamp to apply for the non O.

To buy more time you could obtain a 30 day extension. 

No Thai bank account as yet. I'm aware of the 800k requirement.

I was of the understanding that I need to have a visa of some description in order to change it to a non-immigrant O. Is that not the case?

I have two visa exempt entries this calendar year and was warned at Don Mueang on the last one that I'd need a visa next time around.

5 hours ago, Thailand Tiger said:

No Thai bank account as yet. I'm aware of the 800k requirement.

I was of the understanding that I need to have a visa of some description in order to change it to a non-immigrant O. Is that not the case?

I have two visa exempt entries this calendar year and was warned at Don Mueang on the last one that I'd need a visa next time around.

Given that information thinking you could look into obtaining a non O retirement in Oz.

That would make opening a bank account in Thailand easier.

Do you know where you plan to live in Thailand? 

6 hours ago, Thailand Tiger said:

You can apply for a Non O visa at Immigration from a visa exempt entry. See the TM87 form (https://aseannow.com/applications/core/interface/file/attachment.php?id=439176).

Note that, these days, opening a bank account in Thailand is much more difficult than formerly. Depending on where you are living, it may be nearly impossible on a visa exempt entry or tourist visa.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

15 hours ago, Thailand Tiger said:

Why not just apply for Non O E-visa, save you asking questions again when you get to  Thailand.

With ILR you can do that in the UK.

Edited by sandyf

I applied and obtained a Tourist Visa only in the UK in January 2023. I think these are "blanket questions" asked for all applications

From your OP:

Number 8. I don't have an employer, I don't do to School and I don't have a pension. What can I do? I don't even know what it is they're trying to confirm.

Number 9. I don't have anyone inviting me to visit Thailand. I'm sure most visitors to Thailand have the same problem. Many first time visitors probably don't even know anyone in Thailand. 

For No 8 I sent an Obfuscated Pension Letter, but I also prepared a PDF containing the following sentence:

Is this required for a Tourist Visa? I am staying in a Hotel as a paying guest – see “Place of Stay in Thailand”

I suggest you might try that for No 8.

I used it for No 9

Edited by VBF

The "red star"questions are a must. It is weird with the questioning you cant put in text, you must put it in a jpg file. I had a photo taken by a photo shop, which had in program the demands for such a pic. Then he sent it to me in email and I used it. As in the visa application they dont say anything for what kind of pic, yha it couldnt be cropped. However how do they know?

Took photo's of all my passport pages and put them in MUST be ONE file, jpg. As they also ask for that, of course with in the limit of file size, 3 mB. I used Irvanview to do so, free program to download and use. First a made a jpg with text "no traveling for 2 years, due to covid"

However changed that, as it is Thailand, so guessed I had to show and otherwise could be again rejected.

Also they ask bankaccount showing half year ago amount on account and recent amount and showing you didnt get under, i believe, 3000 euro

Also a pain in the butt to put it again in ONE file. As per question you can only put in ONE file and that is jpg up to 3 mB tops.

Be aware if you use auto-fill in your document. I used that for my adres, but then also my name was changed in the first section. There where the info is red from your passport.

I wasnt aware and stupidly , I didnt double check it anymore and costed me. No visa and money gone. Though the system gives a warning for middle name, but it doesnt give a warning , your name changed. That one is very important, name red and the one on passport MUST be the same.

Had though a warning from system about middle name, but I dont have.

I have emailed about that, but they dont care and take your money, to be paid with only way creditcard.

1 hour ago, xtrnuno41 said:

I have emailed about that, but they dont care and take your money, to be paid with only way creditcard.

You do have the option of contesting the charge through your credit card company, as you did not receive the visa you were paying for.

5 minutes ago, BritTim said:

You do have the option of contesting the charge through your credit card company, as you did not receive the visa you were paying for.

OK, didnt know that, rarely use cc and up till then, all went well when with card.

But the Thai site stated, not good, money gone. And with email contact they also say, pai.

Your fault.

But thank you for letting me know, next time I will do so, see where it leads too.

Though i hope never to encounter it again.

The Thai visa system is a trap, I think. Many things questionable of what they really want. 

Like the question, where did you travel last 2 years, You cant do it with text, only by jpg.

At first i did so txt in jpg, but changed my mind about that and did all pages to show.

As in the past you had to go to embassy, they browsed through your passport to see. And Thai stamping begins with me at page 7 for first time in passport, so it is random where they put stamps, they havent used ever page 4 as begining.

Was thinking about how to get all those pages in one jpg file. Irvanview and phone cam. Thai immigration is real pestering you with all that. I wonder how people will do it without computer and so. 

In the beginning of the application there is also a question, which is stupid , but red star.

Just doubled answer from previous question, it was about nationality, I believe and I put in my main page passport copy again. Was accepted, as what are they thinking?

They want you to hold your passport in a specific way and make a picture of that, that time my selfie stick(came with a promotion), which i had never used, came in handy.

Most of the answers you have to give is all in jpg pics.

4 hours ago, xtrnuno41 said:

OK, didnt know that, rarely use cc and up till then, all went well when with card.

But the Thai site stated, not good, money gone. And with email contact they also say, pai.

Your fault.

But thank you for letting me know, next time I will do so, see where it leads too.

Though i hope never to encounter it again.

The Thai visa system is a trap, I think. Many things questionable of what they really want. 

Like the question, where did you travel last 2 years, You cant do it with text, only by jpg.

At first i did so txt in jpg, but changed my mind about that and did all pages to show.

As in the past you had to go to embassy, they browsed through your passport to see. And Thai stamping begins with me at page 7 for first time in passport, so it is random where they put stamps, they havent used ever page 4 as begining.

Was thinking about how to get all those pages in one jpg file. Irvanview and phone cam. Thai immigration is real pestering you with all that. I wonder how people will do it without computer and so. 

In the beginning of the application there is also a question, which is stupid , but red star.

Just doubled answer from previous question, it was about nationality, I believe and I put in my main page passport copy again. Was accepted, as what are they thinking?

They want you to hold your passport in a specific way and make a picture of that, that time my selfie stick(came with a promotion), which i had never used, a in handy.

Most of the answers you have to give is all in jpg pics.

I recently did an evisa application for METV with LA consulate.  I had many of the same issues you did.  Very, very picky.  The system is very rigid with no flexibility.  Just upload this.  Don't know why they insist on jpg not pdf (no big problem).  The old days when you walked in was much easier except for the drive there.  Once I walked in handed all my visa docs to the visa officer (a farang) he glanced over them and said there was a problem with my bank statements (back then only needed 1 month not 6 months) my name was not on the statement (I had printed from my online account), I looked at him and said REALLY! he shrugged his shoulders and said my bank has a branch down the street get another statement.  I did but had to come back after lunch.  Passport with visa mailed back in 3 days. 

20 hours ago, xtrnuno41 said:

<snip>

<snip>

You can also use PDF files (at least I did applying in UK)

So, if you have text to upload, create a Word doc and "Save as" PDF.

Edited by VBF

23 hours ago, DrJack54 said:

So things have changed.

Your point? 

The OP wants advice re SETV.

It's now done online. Not difficult. 

Yes things have changed, back then in person now online.  That's my point.  Difference between a SETV and METV application is minimal.  Maybe METV requires more financial documentation. Was just giving a personal experience. Calm down and move on.

7 minutes ago, sabaiguy said:

That's my point.  Difference between a SETV and METV application is minimal.  Maybe METV requires more financial documentation. Was just giving a personal experience

No 

SETV can be applied for from anywhere.

A METV can only  be applied from passport country or country where you have Permanent residence status. 

Perhaps research. 

Edited by DrJack54

16 hours ago, DrJack54 said:

No 

SETV can be applied for from anywhere.

A METV can only  be applied from passport country or country where you have Permanent residence status. 

Perhaps research. 

This would appear to no longer be the case. In London I'm being asked to prove my residency here in order to apply for a single entry tourist visa. Given how rigid these new demands are, I can't see how tourism to Thailand isn't going to decline.

2 hours ago, Thailand Tiger said:

This would appear to no longer be the case. In London I'm being asked to prove my residency here in order to apply for a single entry tourist visa. Given how rigid these new demands are, I can't see how tourism to Thailand isn't going to decline.

The e-visa system has blurred longstanding rules on visa applications. At one time, visa applications needed to be made in person (or by posting them your passport from within the country) and ensuring you were physically present in the country when doing the application was very easy. The rule still exists that you must be physically in the country where you are applying. However, it is no longer easy for the embassy or consulate to know if the rule is being followed. The best way of proving your physical location at the time of the application is a good question. Usually, people assume that the embassy will take your word for it.

For an METV, they additionally want to ensure that you have long term right of abode in the UK (or Ireland). Your UK passport is sufficient to prove this.

People who do not have right of abode in the UK might be able to apply for a single entry tourist visa while in the UK. It depends on your nationality and some other factors.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, BritTim said:

The e-visa system has blurred longstanding rules on visa applications. At one time, visa applications needed to be made in person (or by posting them your passport from within the country) and ensuring you were physically present in the country when doing the application was very easy. The rule still exists that you must be physically in the country where you are applying. However, it is no longer easy for the embassy or consulate to know if the rule is being followed. The best way of proving your physical location at the time of the application is a good question. Usually, people assume that the embassy will take your word for it.

For an METV, they additionally want to ensure that you have long term right of abode in the UK (or Ireland). Your UK passport is sufficient to prove this.

People who do not have right of abode in the UK might be able to apply for a single entry tourist visa while in the UK. It depends on your nationality and some other factors.

No longer the case I'm afraid. Even single entry visas can only be applied for if you can prove that you have residency in the country in which you're applying. If this online system is being rolled out globally (ie; including Lao, Malaysia, etc), then it's going to upset a lot of peoples plans. You couldn't decide to travel across SE Asia getting visas as you go; you'd have to return home to apply.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Thailand Tiger said:

No longer the case I'm afraid. Even single entry visas can only be applied for if you can prove that you have residency in the country in which you're applying. If this online system is being rolled out globally (ie; including Lao, Malaysia, etc), then it's going to upset a lot of peoples plans. You couldn't decide to travel across SE Asia getting visas as you go; you'd have to return home to apply.

I think I recall a recent post by a UK national who received a visa in Australia without being a resident. Maybe that will change if Australia switches to the e-visa system, but I suspect visas will continue to be issued to non residents under some circumstances.

11 hours ago, BritTim said:

I think I recall a recent post by a UK national who received a visa in Australia without being a resident. Maybe that will change if Australia switches to the e-visa system, but I suspect visas will continue to be issued to non residents under some circumstances.

That could have been me. Postal application to Canberra. The only item I had to provide as a non citizen was my version of an Aussie tourist visa. That may not be the correct terminology. All quite easy, I am planning a similar application from Wellington in September, we shall see 

• Like 1

I'm still waiting for my visa. I did get an email from the embassy stating that a hotel booking counts as an invitation, and it seems they then will ignore the requirement for a Thai ID card or passport of the person "inviting" you.

This is taking far longer than I expected and I'm due to fly out in a few days with no guarantee that I'll have the visa in time, or even if the visa will be approved. I already have two visa waiver entries from this calendar year and one from last year. Can anyone advise on the chances of getting another visa waiver through Suvarnabhumi?

2 minutes ago, Thailand Tiger said:

Left 15th of June to the UK. Last entry was visa waiver with no extension of stay.

More important when date next entry to Thailand with SETV or visa exempt if TV Not approved. 

31 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

More important when date next entry to Thailand with SETV or visa exempt if TV Not approved. 

Was due to fly in tomorrow with a shiny new SETV, but have pushed my flights by a couple of days to give it a big longer to come through. If it doesn't, I might just have to take the flight and hope that the visa is approved by the time I get to BBK, or that I can get another visa waiver entry.

Edited by Thailand Tiger
Typo

2 minutes ago, Thailand Tiger said:

or that I can get another visa waiver entry.

I understand your concerns.

This won't help much but prior to covid I was flying out/in Thailand maybe 2 times a month.

I would sometimes observe folk next counter being questioned.

A clear itinerary with planned stay seemed to be best option. 

A flight out (you can rent a flight 12usd) also good addition.

Funds 20k is a given but they can ignore. 

Good luck