Would you try Lab grown meat ?

Vegetable based fake meat is garbage and should have never been invented. Lab grown meat is the future. The cost both financially and to the environment is tremendous for getting actual meat from live animals, including growing feed, growing animals, etc., etc..

Lab grown meat: no antibiotics, no parasites, much cheaper to produce, etc.. 

You may not like it, but in a few years it will be everywhere. Get used to it. 

• Sad 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

2 hours ago, mfd101 said:

The obvious question is: What's in it? What chemicals? minerals? manufactured vitamins? sugars? sodium? soy? MSG? ...

Yeah, right, sounds really healthy.

Here's what ChatGPT has to say:

'Yes, lab-grown meat is real meat. It is generated by growing animal cells in a lab using various techniques, and it is made up of the same cells, proteins, and nutrients as conventionally raised meat. Although it is produced in a different way, it is still considered real meat'.

So it seems to me that it is possibly healthier to eat than the 'real' stuff, giving the way many animals are raised and the junk that they're feed on, especially hormones and antibiotics.

And it has to be kinder on the environment.

Edited by Moonlover
  • Like 1
  • Sad 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

2 hours ago, Lacessit said:

It makes sense to put solar panels on farmland that requires 25 acres to support one sheep, or 100 acres to support a single cow. There's plenty of that land and worse in Australia.

If the land is really bad and there are no buildings than it makes sense....But in some countries they use useful land in dense populated areas.....I had Europe in my mind. In Australia things might be very different.

• Thumbs Up 1

3 hours ago, moogradod said:

And even if it were the same - why do you eat at all ? 1. To survive, your body need carbs, minerals etc. etc. etc. But then you would like to enjoy what you eat as well - or not ? Otherwise food from a tube like they eat it in space would suffice. And insects are as well a huge question of individual taste.

Beside accidental I refuse to eat insects....Pigs taste perfect, so I don't intend to exchange them for bugs or some lab cancer cells.

• Sad 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

2 hours ago, jvs said:

No it is real meat but grown in a controlled environment.

Why would that be un healthy?It would probably be better for your body also.

Like they can grow organs in a lab already to replace one that does not work any more.

most probably cancer cells or?

• Confused 2

4 hours ago, Lacessit said:

Protein is protein. The two consumer attributes lab protein would have to satisfy are taste, and competitiveness on price.

Im glad you believe so, so can we have the quality meat as long they let us eat what we want!

I will eat bugs and larvae before I eat anything made from a lab! We grow and breed our own food in Thailand, and the rest we need, Im willing to spend money on to get. Clean fresh food is the most valuable we have, and no way they will take that away from us. 

Quite fed up of the new regulations and recomendations when it comes to food. Snake oil it is

• Love It 1

4 hours ago, Crossy said:

I'd give it a go.

Over the years I've had loads of vegetarian and even vegan fare, it was universally pretty good, so long as it didn't pretend to be what it wasn't!

The "plant-based meat substitutes" are not universally bad (although some were diabolical) so long as you don't expect them to feel and taste like actual meat. To (nearly) quote Douglas Adams they are "something almost, but not quite entirely unlike tea meat".

Lab grown meat is actually meat (or at least animal protein), it "should" be pretty realistic.

But, if it's twice the price of animal grown meat ...

But it would be far more humane to breed an animal that wants to be eaten, and tells you so.

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, h90 said:

because it is the natural thing to do...we are optimized to do exactly that.

The industrial meat production is a other topic...that is wrong, unhealthy, cruel, environmental damaging. We should ban that as good as possible, but we can have everything full with goats, cows, pigs.

When I see what many people (not even thinking for restaurants) throw away on eatable food, a few houses together could easily have 1 pig and some chicken.

Maybe not having every meal some meat, but when having it having something in good quality.

No we are not, that's as good as saying we are optimised to kill each other.

• Thumbs Up 1

15 minutes ago, Hummin said:

Im glad you believe so, so can we have the quality meat as long they let us eat what we want!

I will eat bugs and larvae before I eat anything made from a lab! We grow and breed our own food in Thailand, and the rest we need, Im willing to spend money on to get. Clean fresh food is the most valuable we have, and no way they will take that away from us. 

Quite fed up of the new regulations and recomendations when it comes to food. Snake oil it is

Penicillin comes from a lab,you sure you never ever used that?

• Confused 1

30 minutes ago, RanongCat said:

Have  try "like meat" and also American beef. Lab meat and American cow never see sun or grass so same taste of nothing.

Could really be as neither US nor South American cow tastes good. Australian beef is the best - might be because a cow might enjoy 100 acres of land by itself (as claimed here on AN). Same for the pigs - Spanish Black Pigs which run around freely and eat their favourite food - acorn - produce one of the best smoked ham of the world - Pata Negra. And then there is real Wagyu - which is in another league completely on its own. But nowadays nearly everything is labeled "Wagyu" - burgers, Wagyu-Sushi etc. etc. But this is not what I mean. The real thing is actutally unreal in taste. I had only once the opportunity to eat a small piece - raw. It melts on the tongue like the best O-Toro Tuna.

Edited by moogradod

5 minutes ago, moogradod said:

Could really be as neither US nor South American cow tastes good. Australian beef is the best - might be because a cow might enjoy 100 acres of land by itself (as claimed here on AN). Same for the pigs - Spanish Black Pigs which run around freely and eat their favourite food - acorn - produce one of the best smoked ham of the world - Pata Negra. And then there is real Wagyu - which is in another league completely on its own. But nowadays nearly everything is labeled "Wagyu" - burgers, Wagyu-Sushi etc. etc. But this is not what I mean. The real thing is actutally unreal in taste. I had only once the opportunity to eat a small piece - raw. It melts on the tongue like the best O-Toro Tuna.

All true as you say...unless is tuna . I stay far from heavy metal if can. The music is the warning .

That's a hard no from me.

ChatGPT

Lab-grown meat is actually made from animal cells, so it can contain comparable vitamins and minerals to conventionally-produced meat. In fact, scientists are working to ensure that lab-grown meat is nutritionally equivalent to real meat. However, it may not contain the same levels of saturated fats and other nutrients that vary depending on how the animal is raised and fed. More research is still needed to fully understand the nutritional content of lab-grown meat.

• Confused 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

4 hours ago, mfd101 said:

The obvious question is: What's in it? What chemicals? minerals? manufactured vitamins? sugars? sodium? soy? MSG? ...

Yeah, right, sounds really healthy.

There seem to be a number of people laboring under a misconception as to what lab grown meat or (or cultivated meat as some prefer to call it) is.

As stated in the article below:

... cultivated meat is grown from animal cells, and while it is not identical to the tissues of a living animal, it is made from the same materials and has nearly the same structure.

For all intents and purposes, lab-grown meat is indeed actually meat.

Why Do Some Critics Still Call It Lab-Grown Meat?

1 hour ago, Hummin said:

Do you use canola oil when you are cooking? The odds are 99% in favor of it coming from a genetically-modified plant.

26 minutes ago, ballpoint said:

For those saying "no way", how would you feel about getting a lab grown organ transplant, assuming a human one wasn't available?

No problem. Unrelated issues. My main concern is nutrition in the fake meat. Grain fed beef and battery chickens are bad enough let alone lab grown meat.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, Lacessit said:

Do you use canola oil when you are cooking? The odds are 99% in favor of it coming from a genetically-modified plant.

Only rapaseed, coconut and olive oil. Try to eat and cook as clean as possible. 

• Confused 1

Hmmmm, I can imagine it may be okay for meatballs, burgers and that kind of thing providing they add some fat off a slaughtered animal.

There are many different cuts of meat on an animal and different  people enjoy the choice of a different cut too, how do you suppose there will be a t-bone steak created for instance. 

Or wagyu beef, maybe a million nanobots massaging the s**t out of it in a test tube whilst its growing.

I'm all for saving the world from cow farts and stuff, but there is of course other considerations to be taken into account, such as the financial impact on the staff involved in the relevant industries what support animal farming.

Ultimately its down to the consumer, its good to have an alternative for those who are against animal cruelty and would rather buy a product not associated with such things.

But I hope there will be the real thing available too which of course it always will be in my lifetime at least.

I'm sure it will grow as an industry, whether it'll replace the traditional meat industry is another matter. I see it in the realms of organic produce, I doubt it'll ever be able to compete on price with traditional meat unless there are environmental taxes levied on animal farming.

Anyways back to my coffee

PR3

• Like 1

14 hours ago, BenStark said:

We are always warned that processed meat is unhealthy.

Is there anything more processed than something grown in a lab?

I don't think you understand what the word "processed" means in the phrase, "processed meat."

It refers to processes that meat undergoes after having been produced, and which alter the chemical composition of the meat.

It does not refer to how the meat is made in the first place.

As stated in the Healthline article below:

Processed meat is meat that has been preserved by curing, salting, smoking, drying or canning. 

Why Processed Meat is Bad For You

Lab-grown meat has not been subjected to any of the preservation techniques mentioned above, so does not qualify as "processed meat."

Edited by GroveHillWanderer
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, GroveHillWanderer said:

I don't think you understand what the word "processed" means in the phrase, "processed meat."

It refers to processes that meat undergoes after having been produced, and which alter the chemical composition of the meat.

It does not refer to how the meat is made in the first place.

As stated in the Healthline article below:

Why Processed Meat is Bad For You

Lab-grown meat has not been subjected to any of the preservation techniques mentioned above, so does not qualify as "processed meat."

Lab grown meat the chemical composition is different from real meat to start with

• Thumbs Up 1