How to deal with an overwhelmingly negative opinion of Thai people.

bob smith

37 minutes ago, proton said:

You only see cheerful people? with their massive house hold debts and many on 500 baht a day! either everyone is on drugs or you have some good rose coloured specs. Do you reside in a place well known for fake smiles where they call you handsome man all the time? ????

Get a grip @proton, you're getting big red hearts from the OP.

• Haha 2

7 minutes ago, bogs smith said:

who got the fags and the beers in? was it you or the fella in the cap?

The fags are my wife's and the Beer came from the guy with the Hong Tong Bottle.

He owns shares in an excavator company and has two own 2 Trucks.

The old Man and woman are his parents, the girl in the red shirt is our housemaid for long years and the baldy has been raised up by the old people, giving us a hand on the farm..

And yes, I also pay for a beer and food when it's my time..  

36 minutes ago, proton said:

Drinking Leo 'beer' at a German restaurant, disgracefu

The place is in Isaan, hence the real Thailand, which Pattayans, Phukets may be never experience, but pretending they are living in Thailand... 

22 minutes ago, Bill97 said:

Go Fund Me page set up to get this guy out of here.

@Bill97, believe it or not, some foreign people have a normal life in Thailand, same as they would have in the country they came from... 

I might have just been lucky or I did the right move... 

• Sad 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Pouatchee said:

i call bs on this gargamon. you are likely blind to your own surroundings. thais are racists

i fully agree with the op. things he described happen to me regularly. thais have a flock mentality and cannot be next to a farang if they have a choice. anyone joking about op's smell can take a good look at themselves first. thais are actually pretty smelly and often reek of garlic or stinky fish or whatever they eat. at times i will ask a thai who moved after i sat next to them 'pen arai crap? mai chob falang mai? just for the kick of seeing the look on their face.

i dont give a rats ass other than that and have come to terms that, in general, thais are ignorant and uneducated and have no cultural awareness and few skills in dealing with anything out of the norm. the many childish girlfriend killings by somchai and over the top aggressive behaviors we read about regularly are enough to convince me i am right  

If you had something to show for, you could actually meet interesting people.

2 hours ago, bogs smith said:

he was honest. unlike the other posters. i dont care what side of the fence a person is on. honesty is all that matters to me. 

people who go through their lives here and think its nothing but glitter and fairytales are liars. 

Shame that you are so narrow minded that you can't believe that people actually have a great live here together with their (Thai) friends.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, NanLaew said:

i beg your pardon???? 

seems a little presumptuous who gives proton red hearts when its anonymous dont u think? 

kinda like the way you presume all thais are great. 

both are completely wrong!

Edited by bogs smith
  • Love It 2

3 minutes ago, bogs smith said:
9 minutes ago, NanLaew said:

i beg your pardon???? 

seems a little presumptuous who gives proton red hearts when its anonymous dont u think? 

kinda like the way you presume app thais are great. 

Oops, I meant @Pouatchee of course.

No idea what "presume app thais" means either.

Still haven't quantified your mileage in Thailand either.

Triggerd.

Edited by NanLaew

2 minutes ago, bogs smith said:

i beg your pardon???? 

kinda like the way you presume all thais are great. 

Op,this is just an example of how you react.

Let it go man,life will be much easier.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

9 minutes ago, NanLaew said:

Are you "skint & trapped" too?

I would say I live "slightly" more on the wealthy side, after 42 years worldwide travelling as consultant and a day rate you might never have dreamed about... 

My pension is safe,

so I didn't not want to suffer a retirement at the stone table, loading off daily emotional garbage or as bar owner receiving lots of daily emotional garbage... 

Where do you fit in between these two? 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, Reginald Prewster said:

The place is in Isaan, hence the real Thailand, which Pattayans, Phukets may be never experience, but pretending they are living in Thailand... 

you've convinced yourself that a dirt patch as far away from any other foreigners is 'real Thailand'....  conversely, you seem convinced Pattaya and Phuket is not real Thailand... 

... All of 'it' is real Thailand.... just with different socio-economic norms depending on where you are, whether you eat dancing-shrimp or not.

14 minutes ago, Reginald Prewster said:

@Bill97, believe it or not, some foreign people have a normal life in Thailand, same as they would have in the country they came from... 

I might have just been lucky or I did the right move... 

You used to drink beer in the dirt at home ????

You've adapted and good on you for doing so and making the most of things - but your idea of 'normal' is quite different from mine (and that of many others I imagine)... 

• Thanks 2

1 minute ago, richard_smith237 said:

you've convinced yourself that a dirt patch as far away from any other foreigners is 'real Thailand'....  conversely, you seem convinced Pattaya and Phuket is not real Thailand... 

... All of 'it' is real Thailand.... just with different socio-economic norms depending on where you are, whether you eat dancing-shrimp or not.

You've adapted and good on you for doing so and making the most of things - but your idea of 'normal' is quite different from mine (and that of many others I imagine)... 

Disney land reminds me of US, so yes you are right, Pattaya and Patong is real Thailan as much as any village 

Just now, Hummin said:

Disney land reminds me of US, so yes you are right, Pattaya and Patong is real Thailan as much as any village 

Real Pattaya, hua hin and Patong, used to be real fishing villages, and long gone

• Thumbs Up 1

Well I have said this before, I don't expect everyone to be happy every day, thus sometimes people will walk ride past me and not even look my way so no greeting 

Next day all genuine smiles, day after forced smile 

It's life guys, don't pretend it doesn't happen 

But lets not take it too seriously just get on with your own life ????

• Like 1

5 hours ago, bogs smith said:

hey mods, i hope that you are reading this. I came here for help/advice and so far i have been labelled smelly, agressive and a white supremasist.

this is a prime example of how an honest thread regularly gets hijacked by resident aseannow thai apologists.

its ridiculous.

Cartoon illustration of a boy character crying, yelling and throwing a  tantrum. Stock-Vektorgrafik | Adobe StockDon't you dare throw your toys out of your cot.????

• Thumbs Up 1

35 minutes ago, cjinchiangrai said:

Everyone here has been super nice to me. Just say hello and wai a little. I am the only falang for miles so I am a bit of a novelty but so far so good. 

You only wai up not down, if you are wai ing all and sundry first it makes you look ridiculous in Thai eyes. 

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

Just now, Hummin said:

What is your 'measure' of something being 'more Thai ?'....   Its all Thailand... one area is more tourist Thailand, the other is more 'socio-economically-deprived' Thailand... 

Because some areas are so poor and and rural, does that make them any more Thai than say Surrathani ? Rayong? Hat Yai ? 

There are area's of Pattaya that it could be argued are 'very Thai' from the same perspective. Pattaya is not just Walking St. and the main tourist strips.

Bangkok is also very 'Thai' and has its own 'Thai identity' as much as London has a British Identify, Paris has French, Tokyo Has Japanese..... 

This idea of 'Thainess' being one thing is preposterously unintelligent...   Those who argue area's of Isaan are more 'real Thai' have made the naive assumption that 'poorer = more Thai'.

Those who have 'sought' or 'avoided' Thainess have perhaps found themselves feeling a greater degree introspection than those who have the capacity to relax and make the most of wherever they are without the need to isolate, label, pigeonhole everything to degree's of 'somethingness'...... 

• Thumbs Up 1

Maybe I am one of the fortunate ones. Just yesterday, I ran into a few Thais that were absolutely delightful. I do live in a smaller town, so that helps. But, I find if I offer a sincere smile, it goes a long way here. Also, I find alot of Thais to be very responsive to humor, gags, jokes, and just goofy behavior. I think many think foreigners take themselves too seriously. And when you are light hearted around them, they really seem to respond.

If all else fails, leave Thailand for awhile. I was down on Thailand during covid. I left for two months, and when I came back I was so thrilled to be back. At least part of this might be in your head.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, bogs smith said:

you mean they arent???

There is the possibility you are very much in the wrong place..........mentally:

"What are common schizophrenia delusions?

Symptoms may include: Delusions. These are false beliefs that are not based in reality. For example, you think that you're being harmed or harassed; certain gestures or comments are directed at you; you have exceptional ability or fame; another person is in love with you; or a major catastrophe is about to occur."

Posting on AN is unlikely to do any good unless it's to find professional help.

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, OneMoreFarang said:

I don't think the problem is "a farang". The problem is most likely this specific farang, YOU.

Lots of farangs don't have the problems which you describe.

There might be reasons like: You smoke, or you smell bad, or your clothes are dirty, or you look like a criminal, or you look like a predator, or 100 other possible reasons.

Right 

So maybe she just doesn't like sharing eating space and the op is a clean charming good looking handsome man who she actually found hard to resist and had to move away quick 

Or did that not fit your agenda 

1 minute ago, richard_smith237 said:

What is your 'measure' of something being 'more Thai ?'....   Its all Thailand... one area is more tourist Thailand, the other is more 'socio-economically-deprived' Thailand... 

Because some areas are so poor and and rural, does that make them any more Thai than say Surrathani ? Rayong? Hat Yai ? 

There are area's of Pattaya that it could be argued are 'very Thai' from the same perspective. Pattaya is not just Walking St. and the main tourist strips.

Bangkok is also very 'Thai' and has its own 'Thai identity' as much as London has a British Identify, Paris has French, Tokyo Has Japanese..... 

This idea of 'Thainess' being one thing is preposterously unintelligent...   Those who argue area's of Isaan are more 'real Thai' have made the naive assumption that 'poorer = more Thai'.

Those who have 'sought' or 'avoided' Thainess have perhaps found themselves feeling a greater degree introspection than those who have the capacity to relax and make the most of wherever they are without the need to isolate, label, pigeonhole everything to degree's of 'somethingness'...... 

When you build something based on entertainment needs especially aimed at foreigners, and adopt to those needs, I guess you are as far from the original thainess as possible. Im not going to argue with you, but still. 

We have been travelling alot more where thai people have spent their holidays the last years, and it is different from all other cities where you find the majority of visitors being foreigners. 

We might find changes now, as more Thai people travel to typical tourist places? 

2 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

Yes, certainly, the "dirt" I call my home and I guess the picture seen from another angle you will understand...

Just 6 month ago this landscape were rice fields, still I enjoy my beer in the "dirt" because the rain season needs to pass through to go ahead... 

IMG-20230508-WA0002.jpg

336424982_748732103327580_5354679130055304923_n.jpg

338383063_215593254494258_1144831578650491095_n.jpg

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, OneMoreFarang said:

There might be reasons like: You smoke, or you smell bad, or your clothes are dirty, or you look like a criminal, or you look like a predator, or 100 other possible reasons.

quite the judgmental lot arent they, going by that brief synopsis... 

Edited by bogs smith
  • Sad 2

1 minute ago, bogs smith said:

quite the judgmental lot arent they, going by that brief synopsis. 

Let's turn this around for a moment: Are there any people which you avoid?

Personally, I don't want to sit near someone who looks aggressive, is dirty, talks loud on the phone, an influencer, the list goes on and on.

We all have our preferences.

Probably I won't stand up right away because a person is not "perfect". But most likely I look for another place if a new arriving person looks like headache or problems.

2 hours ago, Purdey said:

Never. Except when cycling in the park. The Thais are self conscious. Also, there is an amount of racism arising from tarring all white skinned foreigners as sexual predators. The OP needs to understand the negative history and overcome it with polite Thai and friendly smiles. 

Keep in mind that Thai partners openly holding hands in public is a quite recent 'activity'.

Even for older folks not normal, and bottom line (direct from both my older Thai familymembers and older Thai uni colleagues), in the past openly seen holding hands was seen as low class behavior.

• Thumbs Up 1

2 minutes ago, OneMoreFarang said:

Let's turn this around for a moment: Are there any people which you avoid?

Personally, I don't want to sit near someone who looks aggressive, is dirty, talks loud on the phone, an influencer, the list goes on and on.

We all have our preferences.

Probably I won't stand up right away because a person is not "perfect". But most likely I look for another place if a new arriving person looks like headache or problems.

I'd avoid anyone in cargo shorts with tattoos and talking loudly, normally that seems to be Americans, thankfully a rare experience to see any foreigner at all.????

• Like 1
  • Sad 1