Getting a new passport while out of Thailand

11 minutes ago, lom said:

Still the same but transfer of the stamps at the immi office may or may not be a free service.

Chiang Mai Immigration offers free transfer service. 

Edited by roo860
  • Love It 1

16 hours ago, cjinchiangrai said:

Just make sure you have a letter designating the replacement or a note in the new passport. It  is usually on the last page.

Chiang Mai immigration, no letter required, as passport renewed in home country, HMPO don't supply a letter.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Guderian said:

The plan is to use the UK passport office's Fast Track service and get new one issued on the spot.

I plan to do exactly the same in September, just hoping the service is not affected by industrial action.

Not going to bother having stamp transferred as extension due for renewal in Nov.

4 minutes ago, sandyf said:

I plan to do exactly the same in September, just hoping the service is not affected by industrial action.

Not going to bother having stamp transferred as extension due for renewal in Nov.

I plan on doing it on my next trip (either October or May depending on whether my parents visit us in Oct/Nov), will be getting my extension in September & wasn't going to bother getting the stamp transferred as I thought most people just travelled with 2 passports until they're next extension.

If it is going to be a problem for travelling outside of Thailand during that period then I'll probably get it done at Jomtien IO as I tend to use the Fast Track Channel as BKK & don't recall seeing an Immigration Desk 3 whilst going through. 

14 hours ago, Mahseer said:

Airport immigration office Chiang Mai. Desks are numbered right to left and 3 is just about in front as you enter. Transfer process is free.

I'll be flying to Survarnabhumi, but thanks for the clarification.

• 3 months later...

I came back with my new UK passport last week and the next day went to Immigration in Jomtien to get the stamps transferred. As you know this will be an overnight job, it's best to drop it off near the close of play to avoid the queues. I did that last Thursday and was told to pick it up on Monday afternoon, which I did. All fine, everything transferred and in order, and no fee. Also, no mention at any stage about an 'embassy letter' or anything else along those lines.

I find that interesting, as I'd phoned an agent before I left for the UK in August and they were adamant that you HAVE to have the embassy letter, even for a passport obtained while you are in the UK, she claimed that she'd transferred stamps into four new passports just that week and they'd all had to have the embassy letter, no exceptions. Clearly, this agent doesn't know what she's talking about in this instance, which may not be surprising as she mostly does driving licence renewals.

Anyway, the following currently applies in Jomtien Immigration: there is no need for any embassy letter or confirmation to transfer the visa stamps from your old passport to a new one, at least not for a passport issued while you are back in the UK. A passport received by post while you are still in Thailand may be a different matter, I have no way of knowing.

1 hour ago, Guderian said:

Anyway, the following currently applies in Jomtien Immigration: there is no need for any embassy letter or confirmation to transfer the visa stamps from your old passport to a new one, at least not for a passport issued while you are back in the UK. A passport received by post while you are still in Thailand may be a different matter, I have no way of knowing.

When you arrived at Suvarnabhumi I assume you had to present your new passport for endorsement by an Immigration Officer there, where they have the technology to scan and verify a passport. I don't think provincial offices have the technology or the training to do this, hence the requirement for the embassy letter to assure them that the document presented wasn't bought on the Kao San Road.

15 hours ago, Eff1n2ret said:

I don't think provincial offices have the technology or the training to do this, hence the requirement for the embassy letter to assure them that the document presented wasn't bought on the Kao San Road.

Apparently IMM no longer need the Embassy's "visa transfer letter" for new passports obtained locally through VFS as well as back in the UK:

https://assets.publishing.service.gov.uk/media/6461b0072c06a30013c05cff/Information_Note_Visa_transfer_to_new_passport.pdf

• Thumbs Up 1

6 hours ago, OJAS said:

Apparently IMM no longer need the Embassy's "visa transfer letter" for new passports obtained locally through VFS as well as back in the UK:

https://assets.publishing.service.gov.uk/media/6461b0072c06a30013c05cff/Information_Note_Visa_transfer_to_new_passport.pdf

I must have missed the "Embassy letter phase" entirely then, as I didn't need one ten years ago when I transferred my visa stamps and I didn't need one this time either. I wonder why certain Pattaya agents are still demanding it, if it hasn't been issued since June?