British Nationals Among Many Foreigners Involved in Overstay Crimes in Thailand

webfact

14 hours ago, jayboy said:
15 hours ago, HuskerDo2 said:

Not sure why they single out the Brits when it says "Among 'Many' Foreigners Involved in Overstay Crimes".

Take a wild guess.

I would presume that many Brits came to (and stayed in) Thailand over the past five years. If only a tiny minority overstayed, then this would still be a news-worthy number (in Thailand)... Will we see similar headlines about overstayers from China - guess not!

Also, as asf6 pointed out, the source might have to do with it as well.

Edited by StayinThailand2much
  • Thanks 1

14 hours ago, Goat said:

But the thai government generously recognised the situation and introduced Covid visas.

The Australian government just told everyone to leave. https://www.smh.com.au/politics/federal/go-home-scott-morrison-tells-international-visitors-20200403-p54gu2.html

Yes, they did. And Brits (or others) who didn't use the chance to extend their permission of stay are at fault... But calling them "criminals"? I bet this term is not used in Oz.

Edited by StayinThailand2much
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, StayinThailand2much said:

Yes, they did. And Brits (or others) who didn't use the chance to extend their permission of stay are at fault... But calling them "criminals"? I bet this term is not used in Oz.

Are you an English speaker? Do you know the definition of a crime? Look it up and enlighten yourself. 

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

A post using more than 3 nested quotes has been removed as well as an Off-topic post discussing Thai's and mask wearing.

7. Do not quote more than three multiple nested quotes. Only quote the person you are replying to, and only quote the relevant section that you are discussing.

59 minutes ago, StayinThailand2much said:

But calling them "criminals"? I bet this term is not used in Oz.

Well, I think you are confused and are feeling like you have been attacked racially by the thai media.

But this is written by a farang, i am assuming British, from the British embassy and on a British owned forum. No Thais involved.

maybe you should write in and take it up with them?

19 minutes ago, Taboo2 said:

Folks, just abide by the rules of this Kingdom and you won't have any issues.  Yes, it is a fun place and cost of living is great compared to the nightmare in the west, but find a legal way to stay here and life is great.

Unless someone in power has a gripe or jealous "Ask the Duch guy and his wife how they feel"?

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Goat said:

Well, I think you are confused and are feeling like you have been attacked racially by the thai media.

But this is written by a farang, i am assuming British, from the British embassy and on a British owned forum. No Thais involved.

maybe you should write in and take it up with them?

I am not sure the article is written by the British Embassy.

The link provided does not include the details provided in the post. The link is just the guidelines of what happens when a British citizen is caught on overstay.

1 hour ago, Goat said:

But the thai government generously recognised the situation and introduced Covid visas.

The Australian government just told everyone to leave. https://www.smh.com.au/politics/federal/go-home-scott-morrison-tells-international-visitors-20200403-p54gu2.html

Nice people the Thais. Sensible and good hearted.

No.. The Australian govt didn't "just". Can you find anything a bit more current than 3 years ago? 

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, lahgon29 said:

No.. The Australian govt didn't "just". Can you find anything a bit more current than 3 years ago? 

You have taken my "just" word the wrong way.

i didnt mean "just now" i meant "just, only did".

3 years ago was when covid hit, and the thais graciously and efficiently introduced a special visa. The Aussie govt just/only told foreigner to go.

Hope i cleared up your misunderstanding.

55 minutes ago, Red Forever said:

Good luck to em if they've kept beneath the radar and carved out a decent life for themselves. 

That's what my reaction would be. 

That just doesn't seem to be the attitude that the right wing have towards undocumented migrants in the US. You do know that the vast majority of undocumented migrants arrived in the US on valid visas and then forgot to leave?

• Sad 1

33 minutes ago, Goat said:

You have taken my "just" word the wrong way.

i didnt mean "just now" i meant "just, only did".

3 years ago was when covid hit, and the thais graciously and efficiently introduced a special visa. The Aussie govt just/only told foreigner to go.

Hope i cleared up your misunderstanding.

The government told them to leave by a certain date or they wouldn't be allowed to leave. The date was March 21, 2020. If they stayed beyond that date they were stuck in Australia and their visas were extended, just as the Thais did for foreigners who couldn't get home. Nothing to do with visa overstays and everything to do with quarantine and airlines. Many chose not to leave and remained in Australia.

Similarly, I was in Thailand and I was told to be back by that date or I'd have to stay here until some undetermined date. I went home (regrettably) because I didn't want to be hospitalized here with no insurance, no vaccine and maybe an astronomical hospital bill to pay. I didn't need a visa to go back to Australia.

tldr; That tale was not about visas and overstays. Bringing it up was a deflection or misunderstanding of the underlying issue.

Edited by ozimoron
  • Like 2