Two young girls rescued from an illegal karaoke bar in Bangkok

webfact

20 minutes ago, Confuscious said:

Bull<deleted>.
Look into TikTok and other Social Media sites how many girls, some of them way below the age of 18 are making "sexy" clips, just to earn money
Not one of them are forced to do this.
Many of them are schoolgirls doing this in groups.
Go to "NaughtyThai" and watch how many underaged or just above the underage are exposing themselves in clad pictures.
I strongly doubt that these girls wanted to be "rescued" and sent back to the rice fields. 

You would do just fine as a social field worker, who see trends and make conclusions how underage girls ends up in bordellas

• Haha 1

19 minutes ago, Confuscious said:

Exactly this, a social field worker, was my side job in Belgium.
Had a few girls/woman who went it work in a bar at the shipyards in order to make money for their pimp.
Nothing that I could change without risking my own life.

Then you should know there is more complicated than just want to sell their body. Their social environment, mental health, economic, and more. 

F sake, grown up men, making poor explanations for why under age girls selling their body

• Thumbs Up 1

52 minutes ago, Confuscious said:

And what do you suggest for "rescue" them?
Sending them back to the rice fields where they can work their "a..." out under the hear of the sun for a few baht a day?
Don't try to be holier than tho.

You don't appear to be as wise as your namesake.  Nowhere did I say that what my opinion on the matter was.  I was simply discussing the use of the word "rescue".

8 hours ago, Confuscious said:

This is a copy of a declaration of a 12 year old school girl to the authorities:

"x" says some of her friends sell their bodies.
"x" says that some of her friends go regularly to Pattaya to sell their body.
"x" says that most of the girls in school have an ID-Card where their age is 18 years.
"x" knows that in Thailand you can easily earn money by selling your body.
Someone "x" knows has HIV and "x" looked it up and knows that one gets it by having sex.
"x" is afraid of this.
According to "x", life is hard in Thailand.
There is little work.
"x" her mother also first worked as a farmer, but then went to work as a dancer in a bar in Pattaya.
"x" is afraid she'll have to make a decision like that too.

X is a 12 year old girl, clueless to what's right or wrong about her sexuality or others, and has a mom who thought working in a bar was a better choice. It's not. It makes you a whore and X has to live with that, and sadly might think it's okay because "mom" does it. X hears from other clueless children that what some, some meaning a very tiny part of the population,  other really messed up children have done to make money. X knows from hearing from others, that life is hard in Thailand. What X doesn't understand, is that, except for some very well off people, most people have a hard life, and you have to work hard to be secure in life. X thinks there is little work, although jobs are plentiful here, especially if you finish school, or better yet, go to college. X has heard you can get an STD from improper sexual activity. She's dead on, with Thailand being a country with a high incidence of STD'S. What Confuscious doesn't realize, is that some things are facts, and some are opinions, and opinions mean nothing.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Confuscious said:

Exactly this, a social field worker, was my side job in Belgium.
Had a few girls/woman who went it work in a bar at the shipyards in order to make money for their pimp.
Nothing that I could change without risking my own life.

Should have chosen an occupation better suitable for you, because a social worker has a risky job. Danger to themselves in places they have to go, exposing themselves to many underprivileged people. Seeing some of those revert back to bad habits that might kill them. Putting a child back into a dangerous situation or taking them out of a safe one. Some social workers have been killed, and if you take the job, as in the position of a police officer, you are risking your and others lives. Not willing? Try another line of work.

• Confused 1
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, Confuscious said:

And what do you suggest for "rescue" them?
Sending them back to the rice fields where they can work their "a..." out under the hear of the sun for a few baht a day?
Don't try to be holier than tho.

Actually, yes. A much safer occupation where pride comes into the picture, as well as helping the family, getting exercise, and not exposing yourself to some dirty pigs who like to use, and sometimes hurt young girls and boys, and might leave them with a disease they can't get rid of.

• Haha 1

10 hours ago, fredwiggy said:

Women, and mostly girls, and some boys, are sometimes forced. Others are pushed by their idiot parents so they can get more money. Some more are abused sexually as children, many times by relatives, and think the behavior is normal. Normal behavior, thinking, doesn't get women into prostitution. There are always jobs they can work. Though it might get you more money than others, it's not the choice of a normal thinking person.

Really?

Long time in a "rich country" far away I had a conversation with a prostitute. She could have worked in a normal job, and she could have made enough money for a reasonable life. I asked her why she didn't work in a normal job. Her answer: Do you think I am stupid? Why should I work the whole day when I can open my legs and make the same amount in 30 minutes?

I understood her point of view.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, BritManToo said:

X is right about the work, not much to be had and an extra 3 years of high school + 4 years at university (that all involves significant fees and living expenses) might get her a job earning 20kbht/month if she's really bright.

Or in Pattaya she can earn 20-60kbht a month ............

And risk her life and health for a bit extra money, much of which goes towards renting and living in a city. And there is always work here, for those that want it, and aren't too lazy.

• Haha 1

Just now, OneMoreFarang said:

Really?

Long time in a "rich country" far away I had a conversation with a prostitute. She could have worked in a normal job, and she could have made enough money for a reasonable life. I asked her why she didn't work in a normal job. Her answer: Do you think I am stupid? Why should I work the whole day when I can open my legs and make the same amount in 30 minutes?

I understood her point of view.

Which explains what you do and don't understand about mental health. Why she did it is coming from her childhood. Bad first experiences from sex, rape, abuse, no role models to guide her. When you ask someone, you need the whole, true picture.

1 minute ago, fredwiggy said:

And risk her life and health for a bit extra money, much of which goes towards renting and living in a city. And there is always work here, for those that want it, and aren't too lazy.

Most work available to the uneducated pays 6-10kbht/month.

That's probably a harder life than working in a bar.

Not too sure on the 'extra' health dangers, mostly government anti-sex propaganda IMHO.

I certainly never caught anything and neither did any of the three Thai bar girls I've lived with, they're all OK, married and living normal lives now at ages 40-55.

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, fredwiggy said:

Actually, yes. A much safer occupation where pride comes into the picture, as well as helping the family, getting exercise, and not exposing yourself to some dirty pigs who like to use, and sometimes hurt young girls and boys, and might leave them with a disease they can't get rid of.

Is it possible that your picture of working in the rice fields is a romantic dream which has little to do with reality?

young-couple-traveler-vacation-enjoying-

Maybe have a look at reality. Or just ask some of those girls work in bars why they are not living the dream in those rice fields.

• Like 1

It’s sad to see this.  But if you look at the big picture, the hard life for young women in Thailand begets a strong desire for a foreign husband for these girls.  Some of them get lucky and snag one.  Win/win/win—Thai girl, her family, expat.

• Like 1

Which explains what you do and don't understand about mental health. Why she did it is coming from her childhood. Bad first experiences from sex, rape, abuse, no role models to guide her. When you ask someone, you need the whole, true picture.

Yes, if she would have grown up in a happy family with loving parents then her life would probably be different. But that was not the case. And a few hours with a nice psychologist won't "repair" her. 

People do what they do according to their own experiences in life. They try to make the best out of their life - even if the best is not what others think should be the best.

• Thanks 1

16 hours ago, jak2002003 said:

Seems it's the 'culture' of these kind of places in Thailand. 

There is as yet still no evidence that they were victims of human trafficing either. 

While I personally don't agree or like that they were working there, I doubt they are innocent little girls being abused.

They are, after all, over the age of concent for a start so not children. 

Under Thai law they are minors until 18, illegally employed and at risk. 

18 minutes ago, OneMoreFarang said:

Is it possible that your picture of working in the rice fields is a romantic dream which has little to do with reality?

young-couple-traveler-vacation-enjoying-

Maybe have a look at reality. Or just ask some of those girls work in bars why they are not living the dream in those rice fields.

Unlike most farangs here, when I came here I helped out on the farm with my now ex's family, being stronger than any of them even at age 62, and they always were telling their neighbors who never saw this themselves. Outside in the heat, 8 or more hours, planting, fertilizing, cutting cassava and rice, loading bags of rice, and putting them on the tractor.  I did this until we divorced last year. Before I came here, I worked both in a sporting goods store, in hunting and fishing, and also helped a cousin build decks outside in Texas heat, so I fully understand what it's like. I'm an outdoors person, and understand reality full well. Hard work as a farmer isn't a dream. It's a necessity for those who haven't the education of knowledge to do another job, like Tesco, 7-11, Car dealerships, offices and the like. A kid that doesn't want to be a farmer has many choices here. The wages are low but that's the norm here, and millions live with it for years. No one wants or has to sell their body to survive.

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1

7 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

Nearly all sex is transactional, only the payment plans differ.

Briffault's Law.

As you've made it personal,

How successful were your 4 devout Christian marriages to 'normal' women?

I've been married 3 times, and they weren't successful because I married three with mental illnesses. Depression, narcissism and former childhoods with parents of the like. If you're an adult, you understand what you're attracted to isn't a choice, but what you stay with is. They were not normal. My problem was not getting to know them longer before I made a commitment to them. It wasn't personal to you, it was made from what you've been saying over the years here, and I took it as being truthful. Maybe it isn't.

• Sad 1

No one wants or has to sell their body to survive.

I agree that no one has to sell their body here to survive. But many do it because they want a better life.

It's their choice, even if you don't like it.

With your background I wouldn't be surprised if there is a lot of Christian background with you about things which good girls do and not do and what society accepts or not. In that way Thailand is very different. Lots of women which made lots of money in the bar business and who maybe married a rich farang are well accepted in those rice villages. Lots of girls want that they will grow up and be like that. And parents want that their daughters grow up like that.

You probably don't like it and don't understand it. But that is reality in Thailand.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

35 minutes ago, fredwiggy said:

A bar girl will never live a normal,married life, and if you think so, you're completely clueless. The problems with sleeping with many men, for money, are passed down into her future relationships, and I'm sure you've seen some of this with yours, even though you might not admit it. Kids from former prostitutes don't look at their own sexuality as normal, because mom did it skews their thinking about their own.

And where does your knowledge come from? Reading statistics? Listening to priests?

Tell us with how many girls and women did you talk who work or worked in that business? Did you listen to them? Did you try to understand them? Or did you just try to bring them to the rigorous way - at least your version of that? 

I don't pretend that all people in the nightlife industry are happy. Some are, and some are not. Just like those rice farmers. Some like it and some hate it. And some of them change their life. 

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

15 hours ago, Mickeymaus said:

Do you have any link to such a law? Would be interesting to know when you have to blur faces.

You can see the overview of data protection laws in the link below. Personal info includes your photo (not talking about personal photos). It is especially notable that children under the age of 20 must receive parental consent before using their personal information.

Publishing a clear photo without consent where the subject appears involved in a criminal offence is risky for the media as they could get sued for defamation. Which is why they usually blur the faces of alleged prostitutes. The photo Thai PBS showed has nothing to suggest it was published with permission. 

https://www.dataguidance.com/notes/thailand-data-protection-overview

• Thanks 1

19 hours ago, Purdey said:

Feeling uncomfortable that people without their faces blurred are shown in the article's accompanying photo. That looks illegal in light of current privacy laws. Unless they gave written permission.

You're too easily uncomfy. :coffee1: