The purpose of tatoos

4 minutes ago, bignok said:

Why do guys get them on legs?

Yeah, and everywhere else too. I was referring specifically to females who usually are more concerned about skin and their appearance than most men. You might want to study up on how much females spend on skincare, makeup and surgery. Instead of asking questions, figure out the answers for yourself.

I wouldn't overthink it, they certainly don't. I think they do it because everyone else in that environment does it. It's a bit of short term excitement getting it done as well. Quite a few get them on the lower stomach to cover the stretch marks after child birth as well.

No great thought goes into it and some of the tattoos are truly awful. I know one really pretty girl in her late 30's who is covered in them (both forearms, full back piece) and she openly said to me that she hates them and wishes she didn't have them. She said she's really embarrassed when her young niece asks what they are and has to try to cover them when she visits family.

Personally I don't mind them and rarely give it a second thought but I do think it's a shame sometimes when you see a beautiful girl with perfect, smooth skin and a huge blob of badly done ink, especially when it's a skull or something.

• Like 2

48 minutes ago, thailandsgreat said:

Does this really improve their ability to work in bars?

Its fashionable and they think it looks good, simple as that.

Its more socially accepted than ever.

Its not just hookers that have them, many 'normal' thai women under 30 will have one somewhere.

Most current sports stars / musicians are covered in tatts

I myself never did, but have thought about it before, and have nothing against it, but never pulled the trigger.

Now I guess I'll just wait for the 'clean' look to come back into fashion

For me, the girls with full back tatts, sleeves, tatts between or on their tits look terrible, but, as they say; up to you

Oh, and the ubiquitous 'barcode' sak yant! scan her at the checkout on the way out of the bar

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

32 minutes ago, Sandboxer said:

Reading comprehension 101.

Which part of "unintended function" did you not understand?

As far as your goofy attempt at psychoanalyzing, nice try but as I stated - I don't like most people (and idiotic comments like yours once again validate why) so it's not about being scared to talk to anyone. I just do not care to talk to random strangers. I leave that up to needy Golden retriever personality types people like you.

Water finds it's own level.

• Sad 1

Hundreds of years ago, low-ranking soldiers did not wear trousers or shirts. The tattoos on the legs were to make them feel less undressed (read it somewhere many years ago). Women have tattoos it seems because they like them. I have explained to an educated friend that tattoos above the neck at interviews may not go down well. 

Ignored me because she likes it and wants to feel good.

• Sad 1

2 hours ago, JensenZ said:

It's a personal choice with not much thought given. I know or have met many girls who regret their tattoos years later. The best thing to say to a person thinking of getting a tattoo is ask them if they would wear the same dress/shirt for the rest of their lives. They fade, the skin sags and gets wrinkled, and all they are left with is a stain.

True. I see it the same way. But obviously those who have them think differently.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Sandboxer said:

I like a chick/ho with nice ink, but they look horrible once the ink fades/spreads with time, especially sak yant (poke method) tats.

As for my own (12)......some of them are personal/meaningful, some just designs I like, and there's one small sized one I regret. 

I'm a pretty big boned guy, face like a Mexican cartel thug, socially more of a lone wolf and don't like the majority of people I meet so the tats have an added unintended function of often acting as a force field that repels most. I couldn't hurt a fly and am (now) a total pacifist, but I honestly don't mind the "bad guy" image it projects.

I was going to say, it is a mental thing, and you describe it well 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Stocky said:

The purpose of those tattoos was to help identify their corpse if they got killed.

The purpose of those tattoos was to help identify their corpse if they got killed.  show people the countries they had visited when very few, other than servicemen and sailors travelled abroad then! 

If what you say was true then every sailor would have had a tattoo!  They did not.