You think this Generation is different

Not sure what they call this current Generation that is people between 20 & 28 yo 

But do you think they are different than others?

This Gen don't seem to be money hungry as the ones in the 1990's

Work doesnt seem a priority

Taking selfies in front of gym mirrors and dancing on tiktok seem to be more important

Girls especially seem to be entitled to wanting to become more like men,there's no real ladies anymore

I hear them all the time when I catch public transport screaming and swearing drunk on weekends in the streets 

Edited by georgegeorgia
  • Confused 3
  • Haha 1

22 minutes ago, georgegeorgia said:

This Gen don't seem to be money hungry as the ones in the 1990's

I've spoken to a few employers that said "young people don't want to work". 

maybe they think they're more entitled to a job that is exciting due to social media influence.

really don't know. 

• Like 1

Depends on how raised, and their ambitions.  My daughter is a bit money hungry, as wanting to retire ASAP, same with her partner.  Shooting for retiring @ 45 yrs old.  

Could care less about selfies, as doesn't have the time or waste money bothering to post, where or what she eats or travels to.

3 hours ago, save the frogs said:

I've spoken to a few employers that said "young people don't want to work". 

maybe they think they're more entitled to a job that is exciting due to social media influence.

really don't know. 

Who wants to work? ???? Such a ridiculous notion. You write as if we were all born worker bees and that we should devote our lives to making money for others. 
That’s the real problem. If we were working to build our communities and could see the result of our labour, there could evolve a real love of what you were doing. But mostly it’s just about money(which rapidly loses it’s value). Most people work because they HAVE to do so, in order to obtain money. Why would anyone choose to devote most of their lives to doing something they don’t really want to do?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, NextG said:

Who wants to work? ???? Such a ridiculous notion. You write as if we were all born worker bees and that we should devote our lives to making money for others. 
That’s the real problem. If we were working to build our communities and could see the result of our labour, there could evolve a real love of what you were doing. But mostly it’s just about money(which rapidly loses it’s value). Most people work because they HAVE to do so, in order to obtain money. Why would anyone choose to devote most of their lives to doing something they don’t really want to do?

That's fine that work has become a 4 letter word for many. Carry on as you please, and I speak for the US only when I say there's literally millions of migrants wanting the work. When you decide you do need to work don't complain about low wages and demand gov assistance.

Seems like any job that requires physical, sweaty labor regardless the money earned is beneath many.

4 minutes ago, EVENKEEL said:

Seems like any job that requires physical, sweaty labor regardless the money earned is beneath many.

Not only Americans and not only "this generation". Seems the only guys earning the money outside are mad dogs and... 

1 hour ago, NextG said:

Better than just eating and drinking

Talking about gym it does annoy me when the younger guys, who generally seem a bit softer around the edges than my generation, do a set then sit there on their phones for sometimes five minutes, look into space, then do the second set. The gym is busy and need the machine or bench.

The girls if hot are in total tight fitting stuff doing squats and other things that I assume build bum muscles. Better not look though. 

I don't see women trying to be men in Melbourne - Sydney where I think you come from is a bit more loud and outgoing and possibly more uncouth and Aussie Oi Oi in general.

All the gender stuff is mainly in the news, and not in day to day lives of most people, designed to upset a certain subset of Asean now posters. 

Edited by Fat is a type of crazy
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, Fat is a type of crazy said:

Talking about gym it does annoy me when the younger guys, who generally seem a bit softer around the edges than my generation, do a set then sit there on their phones for sometimes five minutes, look into space, then do the second set. The gym is busy and need the machine or bench.

The girls if hot are in total tight fitting stuff doing squats and other things that I assume build bum muscles. Better not look though. 

I don't see women trying to be men in Melbourne - Sydney where I think you come from is a bit more loud and outgoing and possibly more uncouth and Aussie Oi Oi in general.

All the gender stuff is mainly in the news, and not in day to day lives of most people, designed to upset a certain subset of Asean now posters. 

What's the point of gyms? High prices for boring repetitive exercises. 

Just now, bignok said:

What's the point of gyms? High prices for boring repetitive exercises. 

During covid I did my own thing including walking up this steep forest area and I miss doing that. If they raise the prices too much or I live half time in Thailand I might quit. I think gym is good to get out of the house and go somewhere with one purpose only to get fit. 

If you are talking about the US, then it's not that younger people lack ambition, it's that they know that they cannot achieve the same level of success that their parents and grandparents achieved at the same age.  

Costs of housing, education and other important things have risen dramatically in the last 20 years and many younger people know that they cannot ever afford the lifestyle that was normal 20 or 40 years ago.  They cannot buy a 3 bedroom suburban house with a 2 car garage like their grandparents could, so why not just invest in the latest phone and take selfies instead.

I view their attitudes as a sign of despair, not a sign of laziness.

Edited by Callmeishmael
  • Thumbs Up 1

5 hours ago, sidjameson said:

Old times values.

House

Career

Social acceptance

Modern values

Travel

Experiences

Sexual partners

The young generation are doing much better than their parents and grandparents according to their values.

Yes.  Agree. It's all about the "experience", and capturing the experience on video, and then sharing the experience on social media.  This is the new currency of social status.

Probably, they see housing as less important because they don't expect the world to last that long, anyway, what with Global Warming, Nuclear Winter, and AI-Armageddon.

Sexual Partners?  This hasn't changed much since the 1960s.  Remember the Key Parties, and such?

There is more miscegenation, however, it seems, which they consider great progress.

18 hours ago, georgegeorgia said:

Girls especially seem to be entitled to wanting to become more like men,there's no real ladies anymore

If you're a baby boomer (57 - 75) or beyond, it's of no concern (or should not be) whatsover how Generation Z ladies behave.

Obviously they are different.

Growing up with a smartphone is a very different experience compared to growing up without one.

On the other hand, they are obviously not all the same. 

Obviously I know people in that age group, but I wouldn't say I know enough of them well enough to understand them.

26 minutes ago, OneMoreFarang said:

Why?

Can't we all be concerned about anybody else who lives in our community? 

What dramatic questions you ask. No problem, knock yourself out and concern yourself over the world's Generation Z population.

When a guy is concerned about meeting "real ladies", it's in a relationship context. That should not be a concern of Baby Boomers 30 to 50 years older.

4 hours ago, JensenZ said:

What dramatic questions you ask. No problem, knock yourself out and concern yourself over the world's Generation Z population.

When a guy is concerned about meeting "real ladies", it's in a relationship context. That should not be a concern of Baby Boomers 30 to 50 years older.

I don't think I would say I concern myself especially with Gen-Z, but they are part of the people around us and part of the population in this world. I think it is a good idea to have some general information about others, what they do, how they are motivated, etc.

And about meeting, what you call "real ladies": I am happy in my long-time relationship with my girlfriend who I met when she was young but who is now not young anymore. I don't plan to replace her.

But just in case she would i.e. die in an accident and if I would look for a new girlfriend again, then I would look for a nice girl, and not an old woman. Who wants to start a relationship with an old woman, who has lots of baggage from her earlier life when the alternative is a nice girl? 

20 hours ago, EVENKEEL said:

That's fine that work has become a 4 letter word for many. Carry on as you please, and I speak for the US only when I say there's literally millions of migrants wanting the work. When you decide you do need to work don't complain about low wages and demand gov assistance.

Isn’t that what I just wrote? They do it because they can get a better quality of life. Who knows what they left. 
But the people already living there don’t have much chance of a better life, as the wages are inadequate, unless you want to live like an immigrant…

Ridiculous having to toil for sixty hours a week just to survive. 
There’s nothing wrong with physical, sweaty labour, as long as you can have a good quality of life thereafter. 
But most people are working just to pay bills these days. Ridiculously high bills.