Overstay and Western Union

Immigration data and fund-transfer options to a Thai bank are not connected.  Whatever your immigration status you can always transfer funds to Thailand, although there might be max receiving limits per transfer (e.g. using Wise to transfer money to a Thai bank-account opened a different bank than Kasikorn or Bangkok Bank is limited to 50 K per transfer). 

• Like 2

I don't know if Western Union outlets in Thailand nowadays look up the current visa or extension when making a transaction. Maybe someone with recent experience can comment.

I'd guess not, just like money changers they probably just copy the photo page of the passport.

It's completely up to your karmic luck. Some dumb <deleted> might browse through your passport pages, but generally not.

I used to know man who changed his debit card in Bangkok Bank without showing his passport (he was on millennial overstay: entered LOS before XXI century and never left). It's pure luck or rather being unfortunate loser.

• Like 1

If you are really worried (which you should not be, about Western Union at least) you can ask your embassy to receive the money on your behalf. That can also be done using a service like Wise which will mean a much lower transaction fee. If receiving money from friends and family, it is a good way of proceeding because it provides them with assurance that you (presumably a somewhat irreesponsible individual) is using the money for an important and urgent purpose.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, hsoa said:

On an overstay (of less than 90 days) of a Visa Waiver,

You started a thread April 6 re exit Thailand may.

And we're given good advice.

Ignored that and now thread with overstay.

Seriously ridiculous.

Suggest you fly out asap as overstay fine is simple process at airport. 

Why require money from WU.

You don't have internet banking with foreign credit card at the very least. 

• Thumbs Up 1

12 hours ago, BritTim said:

If you are really worried (which you should not be, about Western Union at least) you can ask your embassy to receive the money on your behalf. That can also be done using a service like Wise which will mean a much lower transaction fee. If receiving money from friends and family, it is a good way of proceeding because it provides them with assurance that you (presumably a somewhat irreesponsible individual) is using the money for an important and urgent purpose.

If the embassy will accept receiving the funds, Some cooperate in this subject matter, some don't.

22 minutes ago, scorecard said:

If the embassy will accept receiving the funds, Some cooperate in this subject matter, some don't.

Really? I was unaware of that. I thought even generally unhelpful embassies like the British Embassy would do that much for their citizens. Out of interest, which embassy(ies) are you aware of who refuse to act as a conduit for money sent by family and friends? It must be very difficult, for instance, for those incarcerated without money in the Immigration Detention Centre.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, DrJack54 said:

You started a thread April 6 re exit Thailand may.

And we're given good advice.

Ignored that and now thread with overstay.

Seriously ridiculous.

If he is wanting to receive money via Western Union it's entirely possible that he needs the money to his overstay fee when he does eventually it to the airport. 

Going to the airport with no means to pay your overstay fee would be a very bad idea.

• Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, JayClay said:

Going to the airport with no means to pay your overstay fee would be a very bad idea

In his previous thread (April 6) he was not on overstay at that point. 

Mentioned plan to exit May..

• Like 2

My recent experience is that 2 WU service points in Bangkok refused completing the transaction on the basis of having overstayed the permission to be in Thailand by a few days. Both staff had immediately shuffled through the passport looking for the current visa.

The service point which is in an office environment has an official well presented notice on the counter that says the requirement to use WU includes "Passport + Thailand Visa OR National ID Card." When asked about the ID card, staff said it would be necessary to check with another level of management. I don't have one, so I didn't pursue the issue.

Staff shared a workaround which I verified on WU website. The sender can change the name of the receiver easily at no cost by phone, online or app. "Get a friend to receive the transfer for you," was the advice.

Good luck to other scofflaws!