Outgoing PM calls for peaceful and prompt transition of power

webfact

15 minutes ago, ikke1959 said:

I am not sure the people wanted the last Government

obviously not, else they would have voted for it.

But there are several other coalitions possible....MFP with several coalition partner, PTP with several coalition partner (both without military parties).
MFP with PTP with and without other parties....
And there are many different prime ministers possible.

1 hour ago, h90 said:

But there are several other coalitions possible....MFP with several coalition partner, PTP with several coalition partner (both without military parties).

Unless MFP and the PRP form an alliance there is no other possibility of them having their PM without a junta supporting party.

yes They can control the HOR’s but that mean diddly squat with a representative PM

Edited by Reigntax

He doesn't want a prompt peaceful transition and he doesn't want to step down.

The next thing we'll be having a convenient small explosive device go off in a dustbin in Bangkok.,

Then the military will use it as an excuse to step in and start blaming terrorists and everyone except themselves in an attempt to wreck any transfer of power.

There are no limits these guys will go to to hang on to power.

They can't even accept they have achieved nothing for the benefit of the country, politically or otherwise, since they seized power illegally way back in 2014.

• Love It 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

40 minutes ago, Reigntax said:

Unless MFP and the PRP form an alliance there is no other possibility of them having their PM without a junta supporting party.

yes They can control the HOR’s but that mean diddly squat with a representative PM

I am not sure but it should be enough either MFP or PTP + minor parties+Democrats+BJ to have >250 seats but without the military parties

Of course than they need the Senate to get started

36 minutes ago, Scouse123 said:

He doesn't want a prompt peaceful transition and he doesn't want to step down.

The next thing we'll be having a convenient small explosive device go off in a dustbin in Bangkok.,

Then the military will use it as an excuse to step in and start blaming terrorists and everyone except themselves in an attempt to wreck any transfer of power.

There are no limits these guys will go to to hang on to power.

They can't even accept they have achieved nothing for the benefit of the country, politically or otherwise, since they seized power illegally way back in 2014.

I think it will be different at the PM votes someone will nominate alternative candidates and the senate will vote for the alternative candidates....and if they are smart (which is not sure) they'll use agreeable candidates so some of the smaller parties will also vote for them....Getting nowhere. Than getting some compromise. If they take a PTP candidate and some vote for them, some senate the greed will take over and PTP will try to seize the opportunity.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, ikke1959 said:

And postponed it will be and delayed and all to keep him in power. He calls for a peaceful and prompt transition, but in reality there are sources who will do everything to prevent a civil Government.. I think that the military want to have at least one or two parties in the Government, but the people of Thailand were very clear that they don't want that. So delay and postpone everything you can and how long it can be done just to keep the power

The major imperative is probably to hang on, somehow, to appoint the next Senate. 

I'm not sure how they can do that. Perhaps annulling the election meaning fresh elections, themselves delayed by a long period of mourning for a significant person, topped up possibly by a suitable state of emergency. 

As I said, I'm not sure how they can do that, but I am sure great minds (Wissanu?) are working on it.

Edited by herfiehandbag

19 hours ago, webfact said:

PM has called for the formation of a new government to be peaceful and prompt.

19 hours ago, webfact said:

I’ll leave in accordance with the schedule.”

I find this being very correct ...

Most posters here can only leave negative comments anyway ... not worth reading ...

• Confused 1
  • Haha 1

17 minutes ago, NoshowJones said:

and just who is going to believe these lies? I think we all remember that he said there would be no coup.

I certainly don’t believe him but it’s clear that he now don’t have any pathway to getting back into power. 

• Thumbs Up 1

Yes,  a 'peaceful and prompt transition of power' must of course be of tremendous importance to you, Prayuth, and have you up at night worrying, given that you have such an unblemished reputation for being one who has abided by the most democratic and statesman-like principles of leadership in your time as PM.

The Thai people ought to be jolly grateful to you for your selfless service to the nation and for you to offer a reassuring declaration that you'll meanwhile hang on in there doing your duty as caretaker PM is.....well, quite touching. 

19 hours ago, bannork said:

From Wikipedia -

The 250-person Senate is composed of 194 members selected by the ruling junta. Fifty senators represent 10 professional and social groups: bureaucrats, teachers, judges, farmers, and private companies. A shortlist of 200 were proposed to the NCPO which made the final selection of fifty. The remaining six Senate positions are reserved for the supreme commander of the Armed Forces, the defence permanent secretary, the national police chief, and the heads of the army, navy, and air force, who are all senators ex officio.[4] As of 2020, military or police officers make up the Senate

Every single Senator was military appointed. Any teacher, judge, farmer or private businessman was only selected and appointed if they were pro military and anti democracy. It is a sham and only a fool would try to pretend any different. 

20 hours ago, h90 said:

250 individuals....who have different opinions and can influence a vote....they can't block an overwhelming majority. No veto power...just votes.

That this senator construct is bad: I agree on that. But it is constitution.

So change the Constitution, again!

• Like 1

23 hours ago, mfd101 said:

I doubt that it's Prayut with his foot on the brakes at the moment. No substantial reason for him to cling on once the new PM & Cabinet are nominated. Anything he decides now as acting PM has neither credibility nor staying-power.

Which I suspect he well understands.

Yes a dead man walking with zero authority

19 hours ago, h90 said:

Nothing works without the votes of the handpicked senators.

The senators were handpicked by the current Junta leaders:

Pryut and Prawit. 

21 hours ago, h90 said:

250 individuals....who have different opinions and can influence a vote....they can't block an overwhelming majority. No veto power...just votes.

That this senator construct is bad: I agree on that. But it is constitution.

... it's a "constitution" made by the military bootlickers.

It's so sad, that the military government produces so many hurdles for nominating  Pita.

In a real democraty a coup-maker would be condemned to stay in the jail. In Thailand the military regiment does all to get the PM-putsch job again, although having "won" only  a shameful minority of the votes.

2 minutes ago, puck2 said:

... it's a "constitution" made by the military bootlickers.

It's so sad, that the military government produces so many hurdles for nominating  Pita.

In a real democraty a coup-maker would be condemned to stay in the jail. In Thailand the military regiment does all to get the PM-putsch job again, although having "won" only  a shameful minority of the votes.

A coup that is won....is the new government and the new law....illegal/jail is for the unsuccessful...

10 minutes ago, MrJ2U said:

Nothing works without the votes of the handpicked senators.

The senators were handpicked by the current Junta leaders:

Pryut and Prawit. 

first of all that individual people who vote different...and you can overrule them, even all. Pita could have done it, if he wouldn't be against Korn and insult BJ

39 minutes ago, h90 said:

you can overrule them

Overrule the senators?

Unfortunately not.

"Most importantly, senators have the power to select the PM with members of the Lower House from the list of candidates proposed by elected parties."

https://www.nationthailand.com/thailand/politics/40027738

"GOV’T UNVEILS 250 SENATORS FULL OF GENERALS, JUNTA FAVORITES"

https://www.khaosodenglish.com/politics/2019/05/14/junta-unveils-250-unelected-senators/

As things get closer to July 5th you'll see that these elections are just a sham.  

19 minutes ago, MrJ2U said:

Overrule the senators?

Unfortunately not.

"Most importantly, senators have the power to select the PM with members of the Lower House from the list of candidates proposed by elected parties."

https://www.nationthailand.com/thailand/politics/40027738

"GOV’T UNVEILS 250 SENATORS FULL OF GENERALS, JUNTA FAVORITES"

https://www.khaosodenglish.com/politics/2019/05/14/junta-unveils-250-unelected-senators/

As things get closer to July 5th you'll see that these elections are just a sham.  

yes they need together a majority....500MPs and 250 Senators...so they have a finger on the scale but enough MPs can complete overrule the senators even in the unlikely case that they all vote as one block.

5 hours ago, h90 said:

enough MPs can complete overrule the senators

Show me the numbers.

It isn't possible to elect either of the two top voters without the Senate.  

You don't want to include a coalition with the Junta clan, that was the point and excitement about this rigged election. 

You'll understand in a few days.  

It's possible they'll anull the entire Future Forward Party.  They did it in 2019 with the top vote getter, Future Forward Party. 

"Thai parties cry foul after election results favour military junta"

"Pro-democracy politicians question official figures released after 45-day delay"

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2019/may/08/thai-parties-cry-foul-after-election-results-favour-military-junta

Edited by MrJ2U

14 minutes ago, MrJ2U said:

Show me the numbers.

It isn't possible to elect either of the two top voters without the Senate.  

You don't want to include a coalition with the Junta clan, that was the point and excitement about this rigged election. 

You'll understand in a few days.  

It's possible they'll anull the entire Future Forward Party.  They did it in 2019 with the top vote getter, Future Forward Party. 

"Thai parties cry foul after election results favour military junta"

"Pro-democracy politicians question official figures released after 45-day delay"

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2019/may/08/thai-parties-cry-foul-after-election-results-favour-military-junta

very easy to overrule the senate

500+250 / 2: 375 votes needed and that if all 250 senators vote the same which is unlikely

375-151-141-71-25 and here we go with many small parties not even needed

image.png.e6b1cc1d75b754727240deb9b7100caf.png

18 minutes ago, h90 said:

very easy

Obviously you haven't lived in Thailand for long.

Let's see how your idea plays out.  

Hopefully my superior knowledge and Thai political history is wrong this time. 

Democracy in Thailand IMHO is still a few years off. 

Edited by MrJ2U