1st Class Sleeper Train Bangkok to Chiang Mai , take a look

1 hour ago, worgeordie said:

Had to travel once BKK to Chiang Mai , 3 Rd class all they had and the

carriage was chock a block , had to stand all the way , it was terrible,

I was younger then , definitely could not do that now....

regards worgeordie

That's some punishment! Having said that, third class seats even today are most uncomfortable (at least they are on North Eastern Line). Mrs won't entertain rail travel on the basis that you need to book so far in advance.

Hmm I NEVER set foot out of suvarnabhumi airport if I can help it - transit in the airport from Europe to Chiang Mai ALWAYS (for the last 20 years thereabouts).

BUT if I had a morning appointment in Bangkok and the flights aren't too good first thing from  Chiang Mai this would be a viable option and would avoid an overnight stay in a hotel in Bangkok. Especially I would arrive in the middle of the city and not have to fight my way in through the traffic.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

We took Train #10 Chiang Mai to Bangkok at the end of March (I think it is #9 that runs BKK to CM). 1st class joined two compartments. Comfortable space, toilet and shower available on the hallway. Plenty of luggage space under the lower seat. Only issue for us was the air conditioning was set on high and evidently not adjusted ... froze! Overnight train arriving early morning and then we flew out of Thailand the next evening (rented a lower cost room during the day to freshen up and the hotel provided transport to the airport).

• Thanks 1

Has the ride improved at all? I've used both classes and struggled to sleep due to the constant de-de, de-de, de-de and the shaking. I like the idea of the train but I'll only fly now until they are quieter and smoother. 

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

I'd like to try it. Took the train once to Hua Hin and it derailed, they put us in vans,

I lived on a train traveling with the carnival back in the '70s & '80s. You see a lot from the train you don't see from the road. 

• Love It 1

4 minutes ago, Burma Bill said:

May I respectfully make a suggestion.

Take an inter-provincial bus from Khon Kaen to Phitsanulok (route 12 all the way via Chumphae and Lomsak, with fantastic scenery.) At Phitsanulok change onto the Northern Line for Chiang Mai via Uttaradit, Den Chai and Lampang. This is the most scenic section of the railway as it heads through the mountains to CNX. Photo: The Chompu Bridge in Lamphun Province with a train from Chiang Mai heading towards Lampang and eventually Bangkok

Pawarin%20Prapukdee%20%3A%20Shutterstock.com%20shutterstock_1218592210_2000-X2.jpg

Any recommended stops between Phitsanulok and Lampang?

On 7/2/2023 at 3:45 AM, The Fugitive said:

That's some punishment! Having said that, third class seats even today are most uncomfortable (at least they are on North Eastern Line). Mrs won't entertain rail travel on the basis that you need to book so far in advance.

I find them good. Have been on the NK line and 3rd class no problem. Much bigger than 2nd class. You also don't need to book tickets in advance for regular 3rd class or 2nd class tickets. It's only the sleepers that get busy.

• Thanks 1

35 minutes ago, bignok said:

Any recommended stops between Phitsanulok and Lampang?

The only major stop is Uttaradit. Den Chai is a busy town at a major road junction where road routes from Chiang Mai, Mae Sai, Chiang Rai, Phayao and Nan meet to head south. I have never stopped to visit Uttaradit, only travelling through by train, bus or car. Sorry I cannot be of further assistance.

• Thanks 1

Bit of an outdated thread, the new rolling stock was introduced at the end of 2016.

A major improvement in second class but for first class I preferred the ex Japanese stock with only the one bed per cabin. We used to book early and get adjoining cabins,  with the doors open it was like a twin bedded hotel room. No upper deck so to speak.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, sandyf said:

Bit of an outdated thread, the new rolling stock was introduced at the end of 2016.

A major improvement in second class but for first class I preferred the ex Japanese stock with only the one bed per cabin. We used to book early and get adjoining cabins,  with the doors open it was like a twin bedded hotel room. No upper deck so to speak.

Outdated?thread   Posted a few days ago and the video shot in May !

6 hours ago, Burma Bill said:

May I respectfully make a suggestion.

Take an inter-provincial bus from Khon Kaen to Phitsanulok (route 12 all the way via Chumphae and Lomsak, with fantastic scenery.) At Phitsanulok change onto the Northern Line for Chiang Mai via Uttaradit, Den Chai and Lampang. This is the most scenic section of the railway as it heads through the mountains to CNX. Photo: The Chompu Bridge in Lamphun Province with a train from Chiang Mai heading towards Lampang and eventually Bangkok

Pawarin%20Prapukdee%20%3A%20Shutterstock.com%20shutterstock_1218592210_2000-X2.jpg

Thanks for the suggestions! Looks and sounds a most pleasant journey.