American and British music

UKok

For reference on how the blues artists felt about it there's a story about Bobby Womack. He was asked permission for a new British group to cover his "It's All Over Now."  

Initially he refused saying that he didn't think some British band would do it justice. Then they told him this band were the hottest new thing and sold singles by the million and he stood to make a fortune in royalties and he shouted "Give it to them!!"

So the performers themselves profited both in cash and fame from the Brits involvement.

Edited by Baht Simpson
  • Like 2

I think Kieth Richards would be the first to admit they were totally influenced by American blues. I wouldn't say ripped off though as their end product is much different. The Stones in particularly did a lot for the old school  black blues guys and brought their music to a wider audience, not to mention a much better pay packet. Much of what is written in that article total rubbish. Rock and roll definitely originated in the US but only became mainstream when the white Americans also copied from Afro.Americans lol. A softened down white version. So for white Americans or Brits claiming one stole the others music is ludicrous. Thank god all.artists are influenced by those who came before and create something completely fresh ????

• Like 2

Yes  the British groups copied rhythm and blues from Black American  musicians ,

made it their own , and made it more acceptable for Americans with them been

white ,  

glad to be alive and around music in the 60 's ,early 70's , some great sounds ,

today's music does not appeal to me at all .

regards Worgeordie

• Thumbs Up 2

21 minutes ago, spidermike007 said:

Everyone is inspired by something or someone. There is no such thing as an original idea. All ideas emanate from somewhere. Everything has been thought before. We simply don't know it. 

Indeed, in folk music doing your own version of a traditional tune is seen as a rite of passage. There are hundreds of versions of  Matty Groves and Tam Lin in a myriad of styles. As Martin Carty said, once people stop copying that's when the music dies.

• Like 2

Well for that mater about copying.

johann pachelbel's canon in d major, man lived 1653-1706

There are soooooooooo many guitar players, bands, orchestra's copied and made their own version.

See this amazing woman doing Beethoven, well at least she copied and made own version. It puts Beethoven in another way.

As a murkan I must say I love each nation for the artists it's given me over my lifetime. Probably my most favorite artists of all time were actually UK but the larger number of bands that I liked in general are American.

Everybody in music gonna borrow and sample.

• Thanks 2

I don't know about the others, but for Cream & Clapton, surely royalties were paid.

For Robert Johnson, don't know if it trickled down to him, as he doesn't even own the rights to his songs, for what ever reason:   "Robert Johnson's material, recordings and songwriting, are owned by King of Spades Music USA"

He possibly signed over his music rights for promotional support, as so many artists do in their early career.

Johnson career was very short, and only recorded 29 songs in 2 sessions.  Obviously not all penned by him.

Not until after his death were they even released, I think, and he like so many, became the myth, not the legend since an early death.

Recording companies dealt the recording rights and royalties, not the artist, or not until the artist takes control of their career: ... "Music royalties from Cream's recordings would have been administered by ASCAP or BMI, through the accounting of the Atlantic Records group."

Clapton still doesn't produce and never did, I think.  Closely overseas it of course, trusting a few long time associates/producers.  But in his autobiography, he says he sucks at producing, and leaves it to the pros ????

EC did a whole album of Johnson's music, so I'm pretty sure he'd make sure royalties trickled down to the Johnson Estate.

Same with his friendship and sharing music of JJ Cale.

Can't ask for anything better than an artist making a hit with you song, and now you're a household name.  That's priceless by itself.

So man writers didn't become music artist, until the music was covered by others.   Many making more money on royalties than their own career I would think.

Edited by KhunLA
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, Baht Simpson said:

If the blues artists started out today singing about their hard lives and how their baby done them wrong they'd be called snowflakes and told to grow a pair.

or cancelled for being sexist 

• Confused 1