Why are Filipinos/Filipinas so friendly?

Filipinos are male, the females are filipinas.

The use of English is widespread in the Philippines, due to American influence since 1898, and English being made the official language, along with Tagalog.

Personally, I've found most Asian nationalities to be friendly.

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, bogs smith said:

made a very nice change instead of a thai girl serving me. they always too busy looking at their phone and never smile to a customer.

Different day. Same old problem!

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, bogs smith said:

thanks for the info. topic title has been updated. 

Just to make it more confusing , they refer to each other as pinay ( female ) and pinoy ( male )

https://www.dictionary.com/e/translations/pinay/

I found them to be friendly. Thais have become more ' sophisticated ' in the last 30 years. Back in the day the epithet ' Land of Smiles ' was coined. Not so much now.  Going back further English people were know as poo dee angrit.

I think it safe to say that last bit has gone right out the window these days.

Edited by Denim
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

42 minutes ago, bogs smith said:

just been to the dentist and the receptionist was a filipina.

perfect english, very polite and cordial and stunning to boot.

kinda got me thinking, is this normal? are filipinos all this friendly?

having never been to the philippines myself i dont know..

made a very nice change instead of a thai girl serving me. they always too busy looking at their phone and never smile to a customer.

i wish filipinos worked here more, especially in the customer facing roles. 

they really do a magnificent job!

take note thais and dont forget service with a smile!! ???? 

Have you been to any private hospitals before? 5 star hotels and restaurants, same feeling

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

What's so dangerous about food in the Philippines ?

???? You know very well what I mean. When my exwife and me wanted to return from a disco to our hotel (distance about 200m) we were advised to take a taxi ! The Disco was an experience in itself by the way. Pitch Black inside (for a reason of course ????) and a sound like the membranes of the speakers were ripped apart while running at max volume.

Edited by moogradod
  • Haha 2

5 minutes ago, moogradod said:

???? You know very well what I mean. When my exwife and me wanted to return from a disco to our hotel (distance about 200m) we were advised to take a taxi ! The Disco was an experience in itself by the way. Pitch Black inside (for a reason of course ????) and a sound like the membranes of the speakers were ripped apart while running at max volume.

Yeah...  agreed.... been there a few times. 

Worked there, been out with Expats and separately with local friends. 

There's definitely a more 'dangerous' edge to the place than Thailand..... 

.... not more dangerous as in 'getting hit crossing a road, or electrocuted by a lamp-post'...  but as in... 'getting clobbered and / or mugged'.... 

... natural instinct just puts my guard up on higher alert in the Phils than a lot of other places....   

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

Yep, they're very friendly, I used to go there 3-4x a year.

After few 2 weeks trips the lady at immigration said I should stay longer (unlike Thai 'you come too much'). If I hadn't already had a relationship going in Thailand, I would have stayed.

Even the guys are friendly!

And everyone speaks English.

No racist slurs either, they all call you 'boss' or 'sir'.

Sounds lovely. I may have to pay a visit soon and get meself a filipina or 2 on the side!!

11 hours ago, BangkokReady said:
13 hours ago, Liverpool Lou said:
15 hours ago, bogs smith said:

Bit of a (false) sweeping generalisation.

Is it false if it is what he has experienced?

Of course not, but then instead of condemning Thai girls generally, as he did, he should have said that his experience was just with a couple of them.  

My experience is that, generally, Thai assistants are not "always looking at their phones and never smile" but I'm sure that a couple of them may have fallen into that category, therefore my experience is that his statement was false, as a generalism.  

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

19 minutes ago, spidermike007 said:

They are more Western in their mindset. The colonial occupation by Spain, which was largely managed by Mexico, means the culture is more Western leaning. Which makes them more open to the outside world and more curious. Qualities which are sorely lacking here. 

I find it rare for Thai men to have much interest at all, in really getting to know us. They seem to be lacking curiosity of the outside world, to a remarkable degree. 

This is all correct - but you forget to mention the downside: While they are more Western they are less Asian as well. I did not even feel I was in Asia while I was there - exept for the temperatures. So to say it bluntly: Why travel 10K Miles only to have more miserable food than back home (well not exactly I know, at least the beaches are really wonderful ???? Never seen such clear water before.

• Like 1

The English they can speak helps in their confidence to interact with people.

But, I was in the Phillippines recently my fifth trip.  I was surprised how unfriendly people there have become post pandemic.  It is overall a depressing dirty extremely poor country with little hope for a lot of people.  I would never go back there, Thailand is a much better overall lifestyle I believe.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

16 hours ago, biervoormij said:

I think you should go to the Philippines.

You seem to be very unhappy in Thailand. Why stay somewhere that upsets you so much?

Agree.  The OP seems to spend all of his waking hours hating on the Thais.  Maybe he was hard done by a bar girl....who knows.  And for his next thread, he'll opine about how the Burmese in Thailand are so much friendlier.  Then the Cambodians.  And maybe the Vietnamese....5555

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Haha 1