Weird practises at Thai banks

1. Paid cash (small amount) into my own bank account at SCB counter, and asked for passport.

2. Paid into someone else's bank account (invoice over about 4,000 baht) at K-Bank counter, and, once again, asked for my passport.

Why?? I mean, these were tiny amounts... Is that really about money-laundering? And if so, why don't they ask every Thai who deposits (such a small amount) for their ID?

Edited by StayinThailand2much
  • Confused 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

16 hours ago, digbeth said:

What makes you think they don't ask Thais for their ID? 
even at automatic deposit machine you can't use without inserting your card and identifying yourself, it used to be that you can just punch in the bank account number into the machine and off you go

I pay my rent to an SCB bank account every month using the deposit machine. I do not need to insert any card and I just input the bank account number.

I know that they were going to introduce the need to insert a card last year but it was never actually done.

• Like 1

Many laws in Thailand are passed without thorough discussion and therefore they often do not realize the ramifications. The anti money laundering laws are no exception. I go through the same thing making my monthly car payment which is in wife's name. Never had a problem using my driver's license as ID. Not a big deal. Just go with the flow.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, digbeth said:

What makes you think they don't ask Thais for their ID? 
even at automatic deposit machine you can't use without inserting your card and identifying yourself, it used to be that you can just punch in the bank account number into the machine and off you go

You just made that up ???? or perhaps that is just for your particular bank. 

19 hours ago, StayinThailand2much said:

Yes, maybe just unprofessionalism. Same never happened to me at Bangkok Bank, which, IMHO, is the only Thai bank that I would call a 'real bank'.

Except that you have to queue for ages to be served if visiting in person.

I opened a standard savings account with KBank.

They asked to see my passport, and some form of ID which had my address on it. Fair enough, I showed them passport and both car and motorcycle driving licences. 

They solemnly photocopied every single page of my passport (including front and back covers - every visa, extension and entry and exit stamp, going back to 2014) and front and back of both driving licences. They then asked me to sign and date each sheet.

Amongst my several (some would say many) peculiarities my signature is quite simply my name, Christian name, middle initial and Surname written in my normal, very simple and clear, quasi italic handwriting. No loops, flourishes or underscores. This confused them - it could not be a signature!

• Like 2
  • Confused 2

2 hours ago, Crazy Noobie said:

From my understanding, any transaction done "inside" at a bank you have to show id.

Earlier today, I did a cash deposit at a BKK Bank branch using their CDM...

As always, just used my BKKB ATM card and PIN code, and nothing more than that... So if that's a form of identifying myself, it's what I've always done and still do now.

It could just as easily have been my Thai wifi making the deposit instead of me, as long as she had my ATM card and knew my PIN number.

Edited by TallGuyJohninBKK
  • Confused 1

Never had to show ID for taking out cash or putting it in at my own branch, only at others. Issue a new passbook though and it's photo copy PP time again, even though they must have a pile of them

16 minutes ago, herfiehandbag said:

They solemnly photocopied every single page of my passport (including front and back covers - every visa, extension and entry and exit stamp, going back to 2014) and front and back of both driving licences. They then asked me to sign and date each sheet.

I believe it's a cost saving measure... They're planning to repurpose your older passport photocopies as scratch paper to hand out at other customers in the bank.... ????

• Haha 1