In Total, 64 Deaths in 4 Months From Phuket Road Accidents

webfact

image.jpeg

Phuket – In total, there have been 64 deaths in four months from Phuket road accidents so far this year which is an increase from last year.

A Phuket road safety meeting was held this week led by the Phuket Vice Governor Arnuparp Rodkhwan Yodrabam.

Mr. Arnuparp said, “The number of deaths from road accidents in Phuket has continued to increase every year.

The average number is at 135 deaths per year which is about 11 deaths per month. From January to April this year, there were 64 deaths.

When compared to the same period last year the number has increased 45 percent.

The number is expected to reach 200 deaths this year if it continues at this pace,” Mr. Arnuparp explained.

By Goongnang Suksawat

#news

Full story: https://thephuketexpress.com/2023/07/04/in-total-64-deaths-in-4-months-from-phuket-road-accidents/

image.jpeg
-- © Copyright The Phuket Express 2023-07-05

- Cigna offers a range of visa-compliant plans that meet the minimum requirement of medical treatment, including COVID-19, up to THB 3m. For more information on all expat health insurance plans click here.

• Sad 2

14 minutes ago, Classic Ray said:

No mention of any measures to reduce the toll like increased police patrols to deter speeders, drunk drivers and non-helmet wearers, increased training for drivers or examinations of collision black spots to improve road engineering.

Why, because nothing will be done, it’s mostly the poor who suffer and they don’t count.

Where do you see such road's laws enforcement and police presence elsewhere in Thailand that you're suggesting that it is what lacking in Phuket?

• Confused 1
  • Sad 2

21 minutes ago, kwilco said:

There is no mention of the underlying reasons.

For the last few years there have been fewer tourists and less traffic - in tourist areas the numbers have increased dramatically therefore traffic has increased concomitantly.

We need to look at the trends over the last 3 decades - and road deaths per 100k are not the only yardstick in fact they can distort the picture

The reality is that road safety in Thailand has not improved one iota over the last 3 decades - this is because the authorities approach to road safety is archaic. Based on driver and blame it fails to address the reality of the situation holistically.

I have noticed a few green shoots of real road safety appearing but the problem is they are patchwork and inconsistent so ineffective - however it does show that some people are changing their attitudes towards road safety and are moving away from blame-the-driver syndrome.

Until the Thai government recognises road safety as a public health problem, no significant changes will occur.

Road law enforcement!

4 hours ago, webfact said:

The average number is at 135 deaths per year which is about 11 deaths per month. From January to April this year, there were 64 deaths.

Maybe somebody should explain to these thai driving clowns and plod that the idea of a death target is to lower it - not beat it !

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, hotchilli said:

From the link:

“Most deaths from road accidents were from motorbikes with drivers or passengers not wearing helmets. Some of them were foreign tourists who rented motorbikes. We are trying to urge road users to wear crash helmets and seat belts, not to exceed the speed limits, not to drink and drive, and slow down or stop for pedestrians on cross walks in order to decrease road accidents and road deaths.” Mr. Arnuparp added.

So no real solutions just ask people to try and not die so often?

That, and perhaps not ride motorbikes and if you do wear helmets.  But since most of us don't ride motorbike as the sole means of transportation , not much to worry about. 

It's really simple ... Speed Kills

Drive the speed, and you realize, it's almost impossible to have an accident (fatal), along with watching all the idiots blow by you.

Oh yea ... wear a helmet ????

You'll never be able to fix stupid

Has nothing to do with the 'Thai system', people are simply irresponsible idiots, and pay the price for it.  One can only hope they kill themselves.

Edited by KhunLA
  • Confused 1

5 minutes ago, Bkk Brian said:

Not that easy when its not your fault and some idiot plows into you, your car or motorbike.

It's called defensive driving.   Been here 20+ years, and nobody has hit me yet, although I've had to move and get out of their way more times than I can count.

Sh!t happens, but somethings are avoidable if paying attention ... and doing the speed limit.

Edited by KhunLA
  • Like 1
  • Sad 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Just now, KhunLA said:

It's called defensive driving.   Been here 20+ years, and nobody has hit me yet, although I've had to move and get out of their way more times than I can count.

Sh!t happens, but somethings are avoidable if paying attention ... and doing the speed limit.

Great, tell that to those who kept to the speed limit and were fully aware of the dangers of the road, then through no fault of their own are no longer here.  Oh wait, you can't. I personally know of 4 here in Phuket. Yes Sh!t happens.

• Sad 1

11 minutes ago, Bkk Brian said:

Great, tell that to those who kept to the speed limit and were fully aware of the dangers of the road, then through no fault of their own are no longer here.  Oh wait, you can't. I personally know of 4 here in Phuket. Yes Sh!t happens.

There will always be this minority and obviously they had a lapse or they would still be alive.

• Sad 2

Just now, Skipalongcassidy said:

There will always be this minority and obviously they had a lapse or they would still be alive.

You've got that the wrong way round, they had no lapse, the speeding or drunk drivers who hit them were at fault.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

4 minutes ago, bbbbooboo said:

Hmmm.. just not Phuket, every road in Thailand 24 hrs a day is a death trap. The annual slaughter toll is ample evidence of this?

According to the world health Organization, 70% of  injuries from motor vehicle accidents is caused from motorcycles. So unless you ride a motorcycle most of the time , your chance of injury from a motor vehicle accident is no worst that most countries in the world. 

This point is reputedly made in these "Thailand sucks " threads and yet everyone ignores it , as I am sure this one will be ignored also. So I am lead to believe that this is not an "Thailand is bad" issue, but rather one of "We are so much better than the Thais" and since it is a bias, all contrary information will be ignored.

I am not saying this to be mean to you and to single you out. I am sure you are a nice guy, and if you were my neighbored we would be good friends, confirmation bias is very common condition experienced by most humans equally. 

• Sad 2
  • Thumbs Up 1

Besides Phuket including  Bangkok Pattaya and other cities speed seems to be the worst offence motor bikes  here in Bangkok speeding and some not wearing helmets

What's the rush it looks like a case of I will be all right attitude.  accidents  only happens to others wrong ????

64 in only two months. Isn´t this the city which always lie and state they only have 1-3 fatalities during every 7 days of death period? If that is true, they really are lucky to hit it right every time. Maybe they should all buy a lottery ticket.

Not surprisingly there are no statistics - foreigners vs Thai, motor-cycles (licensed riders vs unlicensed), helmets worn, cars, vans, taxis etc. If you don't understand the problem, there is no solution. Don't say speeding .... its just one factor.  

If ever driven around Phuket, and seen some of these tourist on motorbikes, I'm surprised we do see a lot more 'Go Fund my Stupidity' threads.

Inexperienced, unconfident, shaky, all over the road novice driver's, obviously unlicensed and without helmets on.

It's mind boggling.  Luckily the locals are well experienced in avoiding having accidents with them.

4 hours ago, Classic Ray said:

Why, because nothing will be done, it’s mostly the poor who suffer and they don’t count.

The poor should learn to "count" on themselves not to slaughter each other so mindlessly. 99% of the solution is in their own hands.

• Confused 2

31 minutes ago, KhunLA said:

If ever driven around Phuket, and seen some of these tourist on motorbikes, I'm surprised we do see a lot more 'Go Fund my Stupidity' threads.

Inexperienced, unconfident, shaky, all over the road novice driver's, obviously unlicensed and without helmets on.

It's mind boggling.  Luckily the locals are well experienced in avoiding having accidents with them.

The locals seem not to learn from the experience of crashing into each other though. The tourists seem to leave their good senses behind when "holiday brain" takes over and they suddenly think that wearing helmets etc. rules/consequences are miraculously suspended because they’re "on holiday " and everyone else is doing it.