Verbal abuse of Singaporean tourist leads to Phuket van driver being fined 1,000 baht

snoop1130

16 minutes ago, Classic Ray said:

Unfortunately the Thai justice system cannot be compared with the West. Crimes are judged entirely differently, with monetary compensation or social position being taken into consideration more than the effect on the victim. Standards of investigation are low and try to avoid court appearances.

Yes, I'm all for avoiding the court system! Anyone with an iota of knowledge of what goes on in America knows all too well how insane that gets. But when somebody's life gets physically threatened... any society, I would think, should take that quite seriously. Docking somebody a days wage, or so, for such a egregious crime, surely couldn't appear reasonable to the average person, could it!??? Does anyone ever think how they'd feel about it if that were their mother being attacked? It appears not....

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, sikishrory said:

All for it. Yet they felt a lot of pain during covid. If you remember - woe is me, no farang, no job, no food.

No life skills whatsoever.

Did they learn anything?

It was a great opportunity for them to appreciate the tourists that they rely onto survive and fix a lot of problems with the system. Yet the moment tourists returned so did stories of overcharging at the airport.

Now we're back to getting attacked with iron bars.

Well-put.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Sig said:

At the VERY LEAST this driver should be arrested, fined (much more heavily), fired from his job, and blacklisted from working alone with the public. The man is obviously a menace to society. Going off into a tirade and threatening (or allegedly even taking a swing at someone's head) with an iron bar!? Regardless of whether or not that tourist said something offensive or not, this driver needs to go away and not come back.
Obviously, nothing remotely close to justice will happen. So unbelievably absurd that the article would say this pitiful 1,000 baht fine is a "show of justice for tourists"! OMG..... I think "justice" needs a redefinition for some people.

The Singapore guy should have paid the extra 100 baht. Or just got out if vehicle and walked. 

• Confused 3
  • Sad 3
  • Haha 1