British student’s harrowing balcony plunge leaves him fighting for life in a Thailand hospital

snoop1130

So many of these stories, makes one think especially me at this point how the hell did I ever get to this age and still be alive. My first class reunion I remember so many came up to me first word " surprise to see you here " I ask why?  The way you were in High School I think you were voted most likely to die early LOL.

First, when it comes to balconies maybe the standard height needs to be reviewed by the building departments are the standards based on Thai average height. A country such as Thailand where tourist come for one main reason and that is to drink and party. Maybe a 8-10 feet 1 inch thick plex glass be in place?

Then you got so many insurance refusing to pay some government oversight agency should be looking at some of these claims. But generalizing kids being at that age not drinking, I'm sure even in Thailand once admitted they are going to do a blood test so was his level over the limit this limit would be most likely the same as if driving a vehicle.

Nevertheless, maybe these insurance companies when advertising or selling policies online or in person forced to provide warnings to the consumers instead of relying on the potential customer to read the documents.

Good luck to the young man!

• Confused 1

When I first arrived here many years ago I took a high class apartment in Bangkok for six months.

We were on the eighth floor. The building still stands proud today but has had a name change to Somerset Place I believe. The property is well built and well maintained.

In the six months I stayed there, neither I nor my Thai partner,   went on that balcony. Neither of us are a fan of heights.

It's simply common sense with or washout alcohol.

I am certain the insurance company has told the family why they will not pay out and I think the family is keeping this quiet or it could derail anybody who was willing to donate from helping, if the accident was caused by ' foolish ' or  ' reckless behavior ' 

I hope the young guy gets the help he needs.

Edited by Scouse123
  • Like 1

21 minutes ago, thailand49 said:

So many of these stories, makes one think especially me at this point how the hell did I ever get to this age and still be alive. My first class reunion I remember so many came up to me first word " surprise to see you here " I ask why?  The way you were in High School I think you were voted most likely to die early LOL.

First, when it comes to balconies maybe the standard height needs to be reviewed by the building departments are the standards based on Thai average height. A country such as Thailand where tourist come for one main reason and that is to drink and party. Maybe a 8-10 feet 1 inch thick plex glass be in place?

Then you got so many insurance refusing to pay some government oversight agency should be looking at some of these claims. But generalizing kids being at that age not drinking, I'm sure even in Thailand once admitted they are going to do a blood test so was his level over the limit this limit would be most likely the same as if driving a vehicle.

Nevertheless, maybe these insurance companies when advertising or selling policies online or in person forced to provide warnings to the consumers instead of relying on the potential customer to read the documents.

Good luck to the young man!

Got a better idea, ban the young partying tourists from Bangkok and all high rise buildings and make them all stay in bungalows on Koh Samui or Koh Chang.

It's a win win, these islands will get customers all year round and Thailand's image won't get tarnished with people falling off balconies and insurance companies will have to find another way of avoiding paying out.

• Sad 1

4 minutes ago, gerritkaew said:

I read this all day long, brits who fall from balcony's and in a road accident. 

Spain, Italy, France, asia..

Stop drinking !!!!!!

Not only Brits, plenty of Arabs, Russians and other nationalities as well.

Stop Brit bashing.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

11 minutes ago, spidermike007 said:

Amazing Thailand. #1. In balcony falls. What on earth is happening here? Why do we see this so much? Is it the shoddy construction materials? Is it the very low heights of some of these balcony rails?

Leading to the age old question...…Did he fall or was he pushed!

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Scouse123 said:

When I first arrived here many years ago I took a high class apartment in Bangkok for six months.

We were on the eighth floor. The building still stands proud today but has had a name change to Somerset Place I believe. The property is well built and well maintained.

In the six months I stayed there, neither I nor my Thai partner,   went on that balcony. Neither of us are a fan of heights.

It's simply common sense with or washout alcohol.

I am certain the insurance company has told the family why they will not pay out and I think the family is keeping this quiet or it could derail anybody who was willing to donate from helping, if the accident was caused by ' foolish ' or  ' reckless behavior ' 

I hope the young guy gets the help he needs.

When booking hotels in Thailand I try to book a ground floor room because so often the balconies balustrade is about 900 mm to 1 meter high . U.K. standards are 1.1 meter minimum which is not a lot more . 1.4 meter high would feel safer . I have been known to sleep walk so if I am going out for an evening beer I place a chair against the balcony door so as to stop me entering the balcony . 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, kwilco said:

there needs to be a serious revue of balcony designs in Thailand - the rails are dangerously low especially for Westerners who are generally taller than Thai people.

There is nothing wrong with Thai balconies and their railings. The only thing that is wrong, is the human error that does not check it´s surroundings, and create an undesirable result

Wow!  What good does it do for travelers to Thailand to purchase Travel/Medical insurance when it seems that most of the time these policies fail to cover the medical costs for treatment of their injuries???

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Joe Mama said:

Wow!  What good does it do for travelers to Thailand to purchase Travel/Medical insurance when it seems that most of the time these policies fail to cover the medical costs for treatment of their injuries???

The policies are good, unless the insured acts stupid. They don't cover stupid actions.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

5 hours ago, alex8912 said:
15 hours ago, Liverpool Lou said:

Perhaps the family does know something about the circumstances of the denial of the claim from the insurer but are reluctant to include it in a request for money so that other people to pay the bills?

Perhaps the family  knows nothing about it and came  to aid their son. 

Well, the family have been informed by the insurer that the policy was voided so it's more than likely that they were also told the reason for that.

• Like 1

From the GoFundMe page:

Jack did have a travel insurance policy in place for the trip and my parents have been in regular contact with the travel insurance company and the British Embassy in Thailand. Unfortunately following their investigations, the insurers have deemed that due to the circumstances of the incident they will not be covering the claim. We are looking to appeal this decision but are heartbroken that we are left with total costs expected to exceed £40,000, this is not an amount that we as a family can afford.

• Like 1

Knowing backpackers, the cheap option usually the norm when booking accomodation, possibly poor standards, dangerous, unsafe. Worth paying someone to check it out and put a lawsuit against the hotel? 

• Confused 2
  • Haha 1

15 hours ago, MadMuhammad said:

The policies I’ve seen and used usually have a blood alcohol content maximum that voids cover 

And rightly so - to a point.  It should never cover say a drunk drivers injuries or car damage, but it should always cover his victim - the company can then claim the money back from the drunk driver later !

• Thumbs Up 1

15 hours ago, MadMuhammad said:

The policies I’ve seen and used usually have a blood alcohol content maximum that voids cover 

Unfortunately too many people venture out onto wood balconies.

Every house I have lived in here has a little balcony off the bedroom but I have never gone out on it.  

Also as we are speculating about blood alcohol. There is always the possiblity of drugs in system.  

What does marijuana do to a UK policy 

• Thumbs Up 1

16 hours ago, Liverpool Lou said:

Consumption of alcohol does not necessarily void a policy, it is the excess consumption of alcohol (that would contribute to the incident) that generally does.

But you are right, if a person is inclined to over-imbibe there is no point in buying a policy that doesn't cover those circumstances.

You are quite right on the alcohol over consumption,but it would also have to be a clear contributory cause. E.G. if he was a passenger in a car or just sitting drunk in a roadside bar and a car ran into him the insurer would have no cause to refute the claim. 

Drunk and falling from a balcony is a whole different matter.

4 minutes ago, nchuckle said:

You are quite right on the alcohol over consumption, but it would also have to be a clear contributory cause. E.G. if he was a passenger in a car or just sitting drunk in a roadside bar and a car ran into him the insurer would have no cause to refute the claim. 

Drunk and falling from a balcony is a whole different matter.

Getting drunk and fighting on a balcony maybe...  but just being a bit sozzled ?... 

Was the balcony railing low? below international standards (whatever they are) ?

Its seems these travel insurance looks for any wiggle-room possible...  What if he were playing football and became injured, or, crossing a road not at a crossing and was hit by a car etc, in the back of taxi in an accident without a seatbelt ??... 

We enter the realm of insurance using anything possible to avoid paying out.. in some case this is wholly unfair unless there is a video of him jumping off etc... 

We don't know the exact circumstances under which the insurance has refused pay out, but it seems outrageously harsh. 

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, Trippy said:

The policies are good, unless the insured acts stupid. They don't cover stupid actions.

In essence you are correct,though there are several incidents of insurers failing in their duty to claimants,as ruled by the ombudsman. Google Tif insurers whode medical expert has been sanctioned by the GMC for several failures in dealing with badly injured clients one of whom died as a result 

Just now, nchuckle said:

In essence you are correct,though there are several incidents of insurers failing in their duty to claimants,as ruled by the ombudsman. Google Tif insurers whode medical expert has been sanctioned by the GMC for several failures in dealing with badly injured clients one of whom died as a result 

Where can that line be drawn ?

My 'health insurance' has paid out for injuries received as a result of sport - would travel insurance pay out the same or count sport has a higher risk activity ? (depends on the policy I imagine).

My health insurance has no such 'alcohol clause'... I'm perhaps less likely to get hurt slipping over while drunk than I am going into a tackle on the football pitch or riding my motorcycle (legally). 

When I read of such news it gives me the impression that travel insurance is a sham - then we criticise so many people for not having insurance, but why would they bother if the insurance doesn't pay out...  

OR... are there 'no fault' travel insurance policies which cover everything ???

Certainly, the marketing for such insurance policies do not make it clear that they 'exclude injuries while under the influence - customers would have to read the pages and pages of terms and conditions which use 'language beyond the every day layman' and for many are extremely difficult to follow.

11 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

Getting drunk and fighting on a balcony maybe...  but just being a bit sozzled ?... 

Was the balcony railing low? below international standards (whatever they are) ?

Its seems these travel insurance looks for any wiggle-room possible...  What if he were playing football and became injured, or, crossing a road not at a crossing and was hit by a car etc, in the back of taxi in an accident without a seatbelt ??... 

We enter the realm of insurance using anything possible to avoid paying out.. in some case this is wholly unfair unless there is a video of him jumping off etc... 

We don't know the exact circumstances under which the insurance has refused pay out, but it seems outrageously harsh. 

Each case has to be evaluated on the circumstances, although some insurers (Tif) have a poor reputation. If football wasn't proscribed in the policy as a dangerous activity ( unlike say scuba diving while not qualified) then there's no basis for refusing the claim. If you were injured in a road accident not your fault but weren't wearing a seatbelt,your damages would be reduced,not denied,on the basis of contributory negligence. 

Quite a minefield!

12 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

My 'health insurance' has paid out for injuries received as a result of sport - would travel insurance pay out the same or count sport has a higher risk activity ? (depends on the policy I imagine).

My health insurance has no such 'alcohol clause'... I'm perhaps less likely to get hurt slipping over while drunk than I am going into a tackle on the football pitch or riding my motorcycle (legally). 

When I read of such news it gives me the impression that travel insurance is a sham - then we criticise so many people for not having insurance, but why would they bother if the insurance doesn't pay out...  

Certainly, the marketing for such insurance policies do not make it clear that they 'exclude injuries while under the influence - customers would have to read the pages and pages of terms and conditions which use 'language beyond the every day layman' and for many are extremely difficult to follow.

Travel insurance will cover you for a lot so it's unwise not to buy it based on your reasoning. It will exclude say skiing but you can pay extra to have it included. The "small print ” isn't that small and there's always a separate section,not difficult to read, identifying the exclusions. Very many are too lazy to spend the ten minutes or less to read it. You post intelligently and would have no difficulty at all.

for those curious, balcony height:

... 900mm (TH), average male ht: 171.61cm

... 1100mm (UK). average male ht: 178.21cm

So not to get deleted ... IMHO

(actually the regulation, feel free to Google)

male ht

Edited by KhunLA

OK, why are we always hearing horror stories of these types of accidents and then the Insurance backs out?  What the EFF is going on?  

I have Pacific Cross and hope they do not back out if I am in this situation.

Sad for this kid, but there has to be a solid reason why the Insurance company are acting like evil <deleted>.

Late to the discussion, so will go back and see if my questions are answered.

13 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

You drawn your own line,  look I'm no rocket sciencetist like many of you. I barely got through school only went to keep me from going to Vietnam.

When you speak of health insurance I've had have accident insurance,  vehicle insurance,  it doesn't have to be spelled out, as I tell my son you are insured but if you cause can accident because you were driving drunk not covered. If you got into a fight or got hurt in the mist of a crime. Not covered.  If you have accident travel insurance possess a motorcycle license home but neglected to get an International permit wasn't wearing a helmet or drinking was involved in an accident blood test showed you were over the limit even by a lite police reported no helmet you just gave the insurance an out. 

I merely hinted sure lot of deny claims out of Brit companies just curious sure they have reason or policy holders gave them one as noted. 

I've read a lot of contracts I'm no lawyer but been around lots of them family and friends it works both ways you throw out a no let the other party prove you wrong.Lawyers are trained to make something out of nothing. 

Yes as noted hard to follow more reason if a particularly country has a track record if I was selling a policy I would would highlight certain things personally as I noted Insurance or no I would want to even give you the bad news. 

Last note,  I have accident insurance here there is a clause " extreme sports " if that sport was hang gliding?  Sky diving,  racing buffaloes, not clear but you know the answer the insurance also. 

With nothing to hide I told them I cycle and still play Basketball at 70, they had to call the office. 

16 minutes ago, Taboo2 said:

OK, why are we always hearing horror stories of these types of accidents and then the Insurance backs out?  What the EFF is going on?  

I have Pacific Cross and hope they do not back out if I am in this situation.

Sad for this kid, but there has to be a solid reason why the Insurance company are acting like evil <deleted>.

Late to the discussion, so will go back and see if my questions are answered.

Ok, thanks to all those who provided more details about this tragic incident and why the Insurance may not cover his costs.  I will use this and other examples when I talk to my adult kids in college about partying when they travel abroad.  Very helpful.