Trump’s dominance of GOP field has America bracing for a toxic campaign

Social Media

7 minutes ago, Yellowtail said:

I never said he was prosecuting Burisma, and the article clearly states that "...there had been an investigation of the company, Shokin's former deputy, Vitaliy Kasko, has said that it was dormant at the time of Joe Biden's intervention..."

He wasn't prosecuting and he wasn't investigating. So no coincidence.

14 minutes ago, Yellowtail said:

I never said he was prosecuting Burisma, and the article clearly states that "...there had been an investigation of the company, Shokin's former deputy, Vitaliy Kasko, has said that it was dormant at the time of Joe Biden's intervention..."

Ok. So he was not really investigating and prosecuting. And the U.S. was complaining about it (before and after Shokin took office, below an example of the U.S. complaining after Shop in took office)

"Sept. 24, 2015 – U.S. Ambassador to Ukraine Geoffrey Pyatt excoriates officials in the Prosecutor General’s Office for stymying anti-corruption investigations, including those involving Burisma"

https://www.justsecurity.org/66271/timeline-trump-giuliani-bidens-and-ukrainegate/

Edited by candide
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, placeholder said:

A defunct investigation.

Not true. The CNN "Fact Check" said it was dormant, not defunct.

Defunct and dormant have clearly different meanings, yes?

If the CNN "Fact Check" is true, and if I understand the terminology correctly, then it was an open, inactive investigation.

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, Yellowtail said:

Not true. The CNN "Fact Check" said it was dormant, not defunct.

Defunct and dormant have clearly different meanings, yes?

If the CNN "Fact Check" is true, and if I understand the terminology correctly, then it was an open, inactive investigation.

Under Shokin it was going nowhere.

An Unhinged Sociopath / Psychopath for president?

'Violence, malice and menace': Columnist warns Trump's threats must be taken seriously as walls close in on him - Raw Story - Celebrating 19 Years of Independent Journalism

With two criminal indictments already on the books – one in a federal courtroom in Florida, the other brought by Manhattan District Attorney Alvin Bragg – and two more reportedly imminent, one political analyst suggested people keep an eye on Donald Trump's increasingly violent rhetoric as his legal problems overwhelm him.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, placeholder said:

Under Shokin it was going nowhere.

First you claimed it was not being investigated. Then when that shown to be false, you admitted it was being investigated, but claimed the investigation was defunct. Then when that was shown to be false you claim it wasn't going anywhere. 

Got it. 

9 minutes ago, Yellowtail said:

First you claimed it was not being investigated. Then when that shown to be false, you admitted it was being investigated, but claimed the investigation was defunct. Then when that was shown to be false you claim it wasn't going anywhere. 

Got it. 

Actually, Shokin inherited the investigation begun under Viktor Pshonka. I claimed that Shokin was not investigating Burisma. No evidence that Shokin pursued the investigation. His staff claimed Shokin was not investigating Burisma. Shokin. And the crucial fact is that Joe Biden did not intervene to fire Shokin to protect Burisma.

In 2012, the Ukrainian prosecutor general Viktor Pshonka began investigating Ukrainian oligarch Mykola Zlochevsky, owner of the natural gas company Burisma Holdings, over allegations of money laundering, tax evasion, and corruption during 2010–2012.[41][42]

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Viktor_Shokin

• Like 2

12 hours ago, heybruce said:

There is an important overlap in the definitions of "dormant" and "defunct".  They both mean that the investigation was not going anywhere.

No. Defunct and dormant have clearly different meanings.

Defunct.jpg.dd3dc0a6f797d39086dae2a55464a218.jpg

Dormant.jpg.9081280e877f00f4aff7a737e4de3b70.jpg

The difference is particularly important if the prosecutor is corrupt. A dormant case can be reactivated any time, for any reason, like in the event the company Hunter was on the board of missed one of their payments to the corrupt prosecutor. 

Again, I think it is just a coincidence that the prosecutor President Biden bragged about getting fired had been investigating the company Hunter Biden sat on the board of. That the investigation was dormant at the time, and that the Obama-Biden State Department wanted him fired also I think supports that.  

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, placeholder said:

Actually, Shokin inherited the investigation begun under Viktor Pshonka. I claimed that Shokin was not investigating Burisma. No evidence that Shokin pursued the investigation. His staff claimed Shokin was not investigating Burisma. Shokin. And the crucial fact is that Joe Biden did not intervene to fire Shokin to protect Burisma.

In 2012, the Ukrainian prosecutor general Viktor Pshonka began investigating Ukrainian oligarch Mykola Zlochevsky, owner of the natural gas company Burisma Holdings, over allegations of money laundering, tax evasion, and corruption during 2010–2012.[41][42]

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Viktor_Shokin

So Shokin was in charge of a dormant investigation of the company Hunter Biden sat on the board of, correct? 

I think it safe to say once Biden got him fired, he would not be pursuing it. 

5 minutes ago, Yellowtail said:

The difference is particularly important if the prosecutor is corrupt. A dormant case can be reactivated any time, for any reason, like in the event the company Hunter was on the board of missed one of their payments to the corrupt prosecutor. 

Again, I think it is just a coincidence that the prosecutor President Biden bragged about getting fired had been investigating the company Hunter Biden sat on the board of. That the investigation was dormant at the time, and that the Obama-Biden State Department wanted him fired also I think supports that.  

dormant:  temporarily inactive or inoperative, as in temporarily defunct.  The investigation was dormant under the prosecutor that was fired.

3 minutes ago, Yellowtail said:

So Shokin was in charge of a dormant investigation of the company Hunter Biden sat on the board of, correct? 

I think it safe to say once Biden got him fired, he would not be pursuing it. 

Calling an investigation dormant is a way of saying nothing was going on with it under Shokin. It's possible that it could have been revived under Shokin but it never was. So once he was out of office it's not unfair or inaccurate to characterize it as defunct given his other actions while he was in office.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, heybruce said:

dormant:  temporarily inactive or inoperative, as in temporarily defunct.  The investigation was dormant under the prosecutor that was fired.

What we used to refer to in the public service as the bottom tray.

4 minutes ago, placeholder said:

Calling an investigation dormant is a way of saying nothing was going on with it under Shokin. It's possible that it could have been revived under Shokin but it never was. So once he was out of office it's not unfair or inaccurate to characterize it as defunct given his other actions while he was in office.

No, calling the investigation defunct is wrong, and doubling down on calling it defunct is deceitful at best.

The state of the investigation should have nothing to do with whether or not Shokin is in office. The investigation could dormant, closed or active, we really have no way of knowing. 

If Merrick Garland were impeached or died tomorrow, would that change the status of the investigation he is in charge of? 

• Confused 1

1 minute ago, Yellowtail said:

No, calling the investigation defunct is wrong, and doubling down on calling it defunct is deceitful at best.

The state of the investigation should have nothing to do with whether or not Shokin is in office. The investigation could dormant, closed or active, we really have no way of knowing. 

If Merrick Garland were impeached or died tomorrow, would that change the status of the investigation he is in charge of? 

Deceitful towards what end?

3 hours ago, Yellowtail said:

He wasn't investigating it now was he.  Your clinging to a thread.....

• Thumbs Up 1

3 hours ago, Yellowtail said:

"and doubling down on calling it defunct is deceitful at best."

At best? What is it at worst? Am I looking at serious hard time? Should I get a lawyer? 2 lawyers?

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, ThailandRyan said:

He wasn't investigating it now was he.  Your clinging to a thread.....

I only went by what CNN said it their fact check. There was/in an investigation, and he was in charge of it.

Do you think Merrick Garland actually investigates anything?

10 hours ago, Yellowtail said:

Shokin's job was to investigate corruption.  Are you claiming that not doing his job should have nothing to do with whether or not Shokin should keep his job?

5 hours ago, Yellowtail said:

I only went by what CNN said it their fact check. There was/in an investigation, and he was in charge of it.

Do you think Merrick Garland actually investigates anything?

I think Merrick Garland directs people to investigate potential crimes.  For that reason he gets credit or condemnation based on what his people do.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

7 hours ago, heybruce said:

Any evidence that temporary was not becoming permanent?

Do you have any evidence that it was becoming permanent? 

In any event, it's not likely it will be reopened now that the last guy in charge of it was fired...

7 hours ago, heybruce said:

Shokin's job was to investigate corruption.  Are you claiming that not doing his job should have nothing to do with whether or not Shokin should keep his job?

No, I have never claimed or implied anything of the sort. Are you deflecting?