In the market for a new PC Keyboard

BenStark

Haven't had much luck with wireless keyboards in the past 1.5 year, although it wasn't much an issue in previous years.

In the last year alone a Logitech (considered to be the best?) MK 345 - a Rapoo K1800 and a Signo (forgot the model number) have failed on me.

In the same time I returned another Rapoo board within the 7 days, and currently using a Ugreen KU004 which I will also return within the allowed 7 days.

The failures are keys that stop working, while with the last 2 many wrong commands. On the Ugreen, when I press the backspace tab, it often opens the inspect screen at the bottom.

So was looking again at Logitech, which has seemingly significantly increased in price since my last purchase.

Though what catches my attention is that the cheapest Logitech (MK220) comes with 3 years warranty, while every model up only comes with 1 year warranty.

Here we go again

image.png.f1cb5c0faeefa993f28fca2992f40819.png

Any idea why it is that the cheapest board get a better warranty than the more expensive, or any hints on a decent quality budget wireless keyboard?

My requirements are,

keys don't sound as if I'm hammering in nails in concrete

good visibility of the keys with clear white characters, not as with the current Ugreen where some are white and others grey or dirty.

And obviously, durability and entering the correct commands.

Doesn't necessarily have to be a combo, as I have a good ergonomic mouse

Edited by BenStark

How often do you move your keyboard relative to your PC/tower? Very rarely I guess, so why have a wireless one. Mouse, yes, because you move it slightly more.

Had both Logitech & Microsoft combos for years with no problems

• Like 1

3 hours ago, BenStark said:

In the last year alone a Logitech (considered to be the best?) MK 345

That's not exactly considered to be the best. If you want the best from Logitech, get MX Keys. Pricey but excellent. On Mac it's only useful with Unifying receiver unless you dare to disable File Vault. On Windows it works both Bluetooth or Unifying.

4 minutes ago, tomazbodner said:

That's not exactly considered to be the best. If you want the best from Logitech, get MX Keys. Pricey but excellent. On Mac it's only useful with Unifying receiver unless you dare to disable File Vault. On Windows it works both Bluetooth or Unifying.

I understand MK345 is not considered the best Logitech keyboard, what I meant is that Logitech is considered the best brand, and I don't want to spend big bucks on a keyboard, especially with my experience lately.

I would think that for 700 - 1000 baht, you should be able to buy something that is half decent,

• Like 2

Genius is my brand of choice for wireless KB/mice. I'm currently using a Genius KB8000x combo to control my TV boxes (android & ubuntu) and it worked great for about 6-7 years until a couple of weeks ago when I broke the scrolling wheel of the mouse. I replaced the mouse with a Genius Traveller 6000 and it works great alongside the 8000 KB. I bought them on Lazada, but I think the 8000 series has been superseded now.

I'll second, the Logitech MX Keys Mini is a solid (literally and figuratively) keyboard. I bought the Logitech MX Anywhere mouse as well which is the best mouse I've ever used, it will literally track anywhere, perfectly, even clear glass tables and uneven surfaces.

One huge advantage of both of these is they have a small switch on them so you can use them on multiple devices, In my case, a Mac, another Mac, and a Windows PC. My monitor has a similar switch so without moving anything on my desk I have full access to all three computers. They also can connect to tablets and phones. I've found the supplied Logitech USB receiver chip was not necessary. It works just fine without.

The catch is the price, not the cheapest for sure, however the build quality is extremely high and the rechargeable battery lasts months. I feel confident I'll be using these for many years to come. So you will pay more upfront, but buying a cheap keyboard almost certainly means buying another and another down the road. Bite the bullet and get yourself a good one that will last.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

2 hours ago, Mutt Daeng said:

Genius is my brand of choice for wireless KB/mice. I'm currently using a Genius KB8000x combo to control my TV boxes (android & ubuntu) and it worked great for about 6-7 years until a couple of weeks ago when I broke the scrolling wheel of the mouse. I replaced the mouse with a Genius Traveller 6000 and it works great alongside the 8000 KB. I bought them on Lazada, but I think the 8000 series has been superseded now.

I recall having had a Genius years ago, but can't comment on the quality as it might be 10 years ago.

Still a few of that model available for around 600 bht. Worth a try

4 hours ago, Mutt Daeng said:

Genius is my brand of choice for wireless KB/mice. I'm currently using a Genius KB8000x

Thanks for the tip, I looked up Genius and over all it gets good reviews.

I found this one for 199 Bht. Others sell it for about 600 Bht

https://www.lazada.co.th/products/jovitech-office-then-1-i3902851648-s14994352639.html?

But the same seller had also this one for 499 and it get also good reviews everywhere.

https://www.lazada.co.th/products/jovitech-mouse-keyboard-set-20-100-i3872057483-s15656129822.html?&search=pdp_same_topselling?

Found the same keyboard elsewhere for 299 bht, so that is what is ordered.

I especially like the flat keys, and all reviews I could find all mention the very quiet keys.

7 minutes ago, OneMoreFarang said:

And then you are surprised that your wireless keyboard doesn't work?

I never looked in the manual, but I am pretty sure they are designed maybe for 2 or 3 meter distance, and without a wall in between.

And then you are surprised you get corrected because you can't read?

And no, wireless receivers are designed for about 10 meters, while my USB ports are about 3 meters from my desk

19 hours ago, BenStark said:

with wiring in the walls, in my office there is only a control board with start button, USB ports and card reader built in the wall.

Edited by BenStark
  • Confused 1
  • Haha 1

20 hours ago, tomazbodner said:

I have the MX Keys Mini for my Mac and I love it. Backlighting is great, battery life great, Keys are quiet and comfortable (large enough). I use it on my MacOS via Bluetooth with no issues whatsoever, what issues do you have that you state will only work with the unifying USB dongle? I use mine with a MacMini 2018 model. It's the best keyboard I have used in many years.

37 minutes ago, Soondae said:

I have the MX Keys Mini for my Mac and I love it. Backlighting is great, battery life great, Keys are quiet and comfortable (large enough). I use it on my MacOS via Bluetooth with no issues whatsoever, what issues do you have that you state will only work with the unifying USB dongle? I use mine with a MacMini 2018 model. It's the best keyboard I have used in many years.

https://apple.stackexchange.com/questions/434385/external-bluetooth-keyboard-and-mouse-not-detected-at-login-screen-after-reboot

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/251680424

I got a wireless Logitech keyboard (mouse too) a couple of weeks ago from JIB Tukcom Pattaya. Big mistake. It does not have num lock, upper case lights. My fault, didn’t look, assumed they came standard.

I've had a logitech keyboard for my laptop for the last 5 years... excellent and still as good as the day I bought it.

From Lazada, I can't find the model number, but it was a reasonable price, with 3 "blue" keys which will auto sync with different devices.

I bought my new laptop in the UK six months ago and was looking for a bluetooth keyboard as a wireless one typically needs a dongle using up a USB slot. The Logitech MX Keys caught my eye on lazada (where else?) but wanted one without Thai characters and a UK keyboard to match the laptop. Found a "used, as-new" one on amazon.co.uk and ordered it on 21 June, delivered to Bahn Nawk on 27 June.

Total price, including shipping, almost the same as a new one on lazada... and I know it's genuine.

az_uk.jpg.2d8f3a11bcef87225b839f8af796821c.jpg

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, NanLaew said:

I bought my new laptop in the UK six months ago and was looking for a bluetooth keyboard as a wireless one typically needs a dongle using up a USB slot. The Logitech MX Keys caught my eye on lazada (where else?) but wanted one without Thai characters and a UK keyboard to match the laptop. Found a "used, as-new" one on amazon.co.uk and ordered it on 21 June, delivered to Bahn Nawk on 27 June.

Total price, including shipping, almost the same as a new one on lazada... and I know it's genuine.

az_uk.jpg.2d8f3a11bcef87225b839f8af796821c.jpg

Unfortunately, Amazon US won't ship Logitech products to Thailland. 

8 minutes ago, MrJ2U said:

Wireless keyboards are a big thing to him. 

Sorry to break it to you, but if you can't comprehend what I write, then better refrain from posting.

I don't stay in a 2000 baht per month room like you, so I don't have PC towers that make noise and heat up the room next to my coffee table.

Connecting a wired keyboard to my PC would involve a 10 meter USB wire, going through 2 walls, that's why I had someone with brains design my system, and it has worked fine for the past 10 years, other than that I had some crap keyboard lately.

Edited by BenStark
  • Haha 1

6 hours ago, Yellowtail said:

I'd like to get a Logitech with MX Keys but I need a 10-key, and I can't find one with an English keyboard. Next time in the US I guess. 

I have a keychron mechanical keyboard, I really like it. I can connect it to up to 3 devices.

They do a 10 key version.

https://www.keychron.com/products/keychron-k10-wireless-mechanical-keyboard

If you can’t wait so long, it might be an alternative.

19 minutes ago, BenStark said:

PC towers

Who even bothers with PC's?

Are you visiting from the year 2005?

Just order your "wireless" keyboard and then go play with your Atari console.

I'm almost convinced this is a troll post. 

Edited by MrJ2U
  • Sad 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

40 minutes ago, MrJ2U said:

Who even bothers with PC's?

Well, not everyone lives in a 20sqm space that consists of their kitchen, living room, bedroom, bathroom and office, and they use their PC for other things than making silly posts on a forum.

Rings a bell to you?

Edited by BenStark
  • Love It 1

3 minutes ago, MrJ2U said:

Ben, why post anything on a forum and just reply with rude and antagonistic insults?

You need anti anxiety medicine more than a keyboard. 

Maybe take a look at your own posts, then judge others.

• Confused 1
  • Love It 1