Has Janet Yellen's trip to Beijing improved US-China relations?

Social Media

image.png

US Treasury Secretary Janet Yellen has just concluded a four-day trip to China, aimed at rebuilding bridges between the two countries.

Was the trip to Beijing a success? Well, by one very basic metric, yes.

The US and China are once again talking to each other, face to face, politely and respectfully, if not warmly.

It's a stark contrast to trans-Pacific communication during the Donald Trump administration, which was done largely via the megaphone of social media.

The tone and the content from both sides is more positive and more measured.

Ms Yellen said her trip would help to build a "resilient and productive channel of communication with China's new economic team". That should not be discounted.

FULL STORY

image.png

• Haha 1

15 minutes ago, Chomper Higgot said:

Clearly he shouldn’t.

But I do get your point, any cost at all to the US so long as it would give you the chance to snipe at Biden.

Did you see what happened at the Alaska Talks? Do you see this ending differently? 

The Chinese see magnanimity as weakness.

3 hours ago, hotchilli said:

While America talks China plans and builds...

I got some really sad news for you. China's building and planning seems to have gone badly wrong. Years of economic mismanagement are now catching up with them. Maybe you should go looking for a super Machiavellian opponent elsewhere instead of Xi.

China’s economy is way more screwed than anyone thought

https://www.businessinsider.com/china-debt-economy-implode-stock-market-wall-street-xi-jinping-2023-6#:~:text=Far from an economic explosion,up 30% of the economy.

I remember when right wingers were crediting Putin with those Machievellian qualities.

14 hours ago, KhunLA said:

"Throughout her visit Ms Yellen sought to persuade her Chinese hosts that under President Joe Biden, America is not fundamentally hostile to China."

Sending a 2nd CSG to the Sea of China & calling Pres. Xi a dictator doesn't come off as hostile at all ????

Another Trump hit piece from the echo box, but ignoring the facts... 'new boss, same as old boss':

"Biden has clung to tariffs on China. American business owners say there's a cost"

Biden keeps Trumps tariffs on China goods

Spinning the BS instead of reporting the news.

BBC ... another joke of an entertainment news organization ... IMHO

Actually, given that the thesis of the piece is that Biden is continuing to follow Trump's policy as far as tariffs go, how does that make it an anti-Trump piece unless it's also an anti-Biden piece? You've got it exactly backwards.

17 minutes ago, nauseus said:

China must have been impressed. Janet she bowed so many times her head nearly fell off!

Yes, good to hear you disapprove of high ranking US government officials kowtowing to foreign governments, what's your thoughts on this?

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Haha 1

13 minutes ago, placeholder said:

Is this all you've got? Well, it's an improvement. It's nonsense but  at least nonsense isn't nothing.

I think just one little one would be plenty enough. She's not a tall gal! 

• Thumbs Up 1

5 minutes ago, bbko said:

Yes, good to hear you disapprove of high ranking US government officials kowtowing to foreign governments, what's your thoughts on this?

At least the activity is shared.

Edited by nauseus
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, placeholder said:

And what's your point?

I'd just like to know why the score was 3-0 instead of at 1-1. American officials do not have to bow.

More recently, however, it would have been far more appropriate for Joe Biden to offer just a brief respectful nod to King Charles, when they met, instead of pawing his arms and shoulders.

Such a huge expensive air and land fleet just to transport this circus. Hopeless!

• Thumbs Up 1

25 minutes ago, nauseus said:

American officials do not have to bow.. 

Yesss, a high ranking US government official bowing or doing a curtsey to a foreign government official is disgraceful right?

• Haha 1

11 minutes ago, bbko said:

Yesss, a high ranking US government official bowing or doing a curtsey to a foreign government official is disgraceful right?

He was receiving an award and stooping to make the decoration easer.

That is a courtesy. Not a curtsey. 

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, nauseus said:

He was receiving an award and stooping to make the decoration easer.

555, the Saudi didn't raised his elbows above his nipple level and Trump was already bending/bowing/squatting down and did a double dip. And you want to feign disapproval with Yellens? 555

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

7 hours ago, Yellowtail said:

Sorry, I was confused, I was thinking of Afghanistan. 

This isn’t a thread about trump surrendering Afghanistan after freeing the taliban prisoners then poisoning the well for the incoming administration.this is about a responsible administration trying to open dialogue between to nations I sincerely hope Janet’s trip helped in that worthwhile endeavor 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1