Proof of paid withholding tax in English

How to get an English document showing that I paid withholding tax on the interest of my Thai bank account?

The bank gave me a statement showing interest and withholding tax, only in Thai.

The revenue office said it's none of their  business. 

???

19 minutes ago, Lorry said:

I need the proof of paid withholding tax to prove it to my home country. 

BTW you can claim a refund up to  3 years later.  But this is not what my question is about. 

You may need to contact the Head Office of your Bank to get an English tax report

21 hours ago, Lorry said:

How to get an English document showing that I paid withholding tax on the interest of my Thai bank account?

If you have online banking, at least with Bangkok Bank, you can opt for everything in English. For my savings account, I have two line items, spelling out: "Interest Credit" and "Withholding Tax."

• Like 1

On 7/10/2023 at 10:50 AM, Lorry said:

The bank gave me a statement showing interest and withholding tax, only in Thai.

The revenue office said it's none of their  business. 

???

There likely is zero chance of getting a Thai revenue office to provide you with a statement in English.  There's a miniscule chance the bank where you opened your account might be able to do it (although I doubt it).

As another poster suggested, a certified translation is likely the only way you'll be able to show somebody in English what tax was withheld. Whether the cost of that merits you doing that is up to you.

None of my business, but why do you need it?  I've never needed any English withholding statement for tax purposes in the US.

On 7/10/2023 at 11:01 AM, Lorry said:

I need the proof of paid withholding tax to prove it to my home country. 

Are you talking about the tax you actually paid to the Revenue Office or the amount that withheld by your bank?   If your Thai interest and other earnings are less than 150K baht then I think there is no tax due and everything withheld can be refunded.

6 minutes ago, shortstop2 said:

Are you talking about the tax you actually paid to the Revenue Office or the amount that withheld by your bank?   If your Thai interest and other earnings are less than 150K baht then I think there is no tax due and everything withheld can be refunded.

Talking about the tax withheld by the bank.

(I know under which circumstances I can get it refunded but that's not the plan)

The revenue office gave me an English statement of my paid taxes, but it didn't include the tax withheld by the bank.  When I asked why (after all, it's tax I paid) they said they don't have anything to do with that,  it's the business of the bank.

19 minutes ago, Liverpool Lou said:

Take it to a translation service.   Would you expect your home country bank provide their documentation in Thai rather than English?

A lot of the documentation of Thai banks is bilingual.

Some forms are in English.

Some documentation is purely in English,  e.g. the short codes in the bank book like "INT" for interest. 

So my question is not unreasonable.

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Lorry said:

A lot of the documentation of Thai banks is bilingual.

Some forms are in English.

Some documentation is purely in English,  e.g. the short codes in the bank book like "INT" for interest. 

So my question is not unreasonable.

Neither was my answer unreasonable as the bank obviously doesn't provide what you want in English.

1 hour ago, Liverpool Lou said:

Neither was my answer unreasonable as the bank obviously doesn't provide what you want in English.

Not obvious at all.

UOB Thailand does provide things like this in English. You don't have to tell me they are not a typical Thai bank but belong to a bank from Singapore,  I know this. 

On 7/10/2023 at 10:50 AM, Lorry said:

12 hours ago, Lorry said:

after all, it's tax I paid

You understand this wrong.

You don't pay withholding tax. The bank pays withholding tax.

You can reclaim it, but this doesn't mean that you paid it.

So when you ask the revenue office about it, you basically request information about tax paid by another party, which is probably confidential.

The revenue department provides the withholding tax certificate in English, maybe the bank can give you this: https://www.rd.go.th/fileadmin/download/english_form/frm_WTC.pdf

Edited by FriendlyFarang
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, Lorry said:
12 hours ago, Liverpool Lou said:

Not obvious at all.

UOB Thailand does provide things like this in English.

Is UOBT your bank?  If it isn't, your comment about its services is irrelevant.

4 hours ago, FriendlyFarang said:

You understand this wrong.

You don't pay withholding tax. The bank pays withholding tax.

You can reclaim it, but this doesn't mean that you paid it.

So when you ask the revenue office about it, you basically request information about tax paid by another party, which is probably confidential.

The revenue department provides the withholding tax certificate in English, maybe the bank can give you this: https://www.rd.go.th/fileadmin/download/english_form/frm_WTC.pdf

Thank you! 

This makes a lot of sense. 

This is the form the bank gave me in Thai.

So there exists an English version of this form. 

I will ask the bank to fill it out for me.

Edited by Lorry

21 hours ago, Lorry said:

Talking about the tax withheld by the bank.

(I know under which circumstances I can get it refunded but that's not the plan)

As Friendly Farang said above this is not not paid so if your plan is to get a refund from your home country of taxes paid that plan may not be accurate.

Some people have said that on their USA they claim this amount as foreign tax paid and then they deduct from their USA. It may work for them because they don't get audited but it is contrary to the USA tax code and guidance.

I disagree with some of the above posters. Withholding tax absolutely is a tax paid by the OP, however it is collected and remitted to the Thai Revenue Department on his behalf by his bank.

Withholding tax is money that belongs to the OP. It is remitted to the Revenue Department who hold the money on account until the end of the tax year. At this point, if the OP submits a PND91 the withheld tax will be credited against tax the OP owes.

The issue with getting paper documentation of this from the Revenue Office is that his bank will submit a computerised ledger with all witholding tax amounts for all accounts, which runs into millions of lines of data. Further, the data will all be in Thai.

Would a statement be good enough? It will show INT interest paid, then the following line will be WHT withholding tax?

13 minutes ago, blackcab said:

The issue with getting paper documentation of this from the Revenue Office is that his bank will submit a computerised ledger with all witholding tax amounts for all accounts, which runs into millions of lines of data. Further, the data will all be in Thai.

No, the bank issues paper documentation routinely to every customer who asks for it (people need it if they want to reclaim the withholding tax). It is the form that friendlyfarang provided,  but they routinely issue the Thai version. 

Now that I know that there is an English version of this form, I will ask my bank for the English version.