EC sends Pita shareholding case to Charter Court

webfact

5 hours ago, ikke1959 said:

The stupidity is unlimited in Thailand....The EC think they are smart by waiting till the day before the PM election to decide... But they don't have a clue about the reactions...As I said earlier this week tomorrow 13th July PM elections but the 14th of July France National Holiday... Thailand will follow soon

Bastille  = Bangkok,  both start with same letter

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, brommers said:

And so the charade begins. Thailand is going to be plunged into chaos and there will be no winners in this round. The millions who voted for MFP will not accept being disenfranchised this time around like FF was at the last election. What is being constructed is a perfect excuse for Prawit to seize power and if this does occur the next few months and more will see violence and disruption to life in general, to the economy and to the social structure of this country. Get ready for widespread public displays of anger.

sorry man, have to disagree, but here the charade  never stopped

1 hour ago, jesimps said:

I won't say I told you so, but.......

There's no way that the junta would've gone to all the trouble of installing a military general in the chair, rewriting the constitution etc, only to let an elected civilian take the reins. You could tell that this power grab by the military was different to all the others, this time they were determined to remain and played some very clever moves. 

If Pita still owns those shares then I still find it unbelievable that he led MF into the election. Didn't someone feel that they should tip him off to get rid of them even if he didn't realise it himself? 

I hope I'm wrong. We'll have to see what the CC come up with.

Ownership of them has not diminished, and will not diminish, popular support for the cause.

The actions of the Old Order, using the share ownership as pretext, can only strengthen it.

There is the possibility that they were deliberately left as bait.

Because change was not ever going to arrive, and is not ever going to arrive, via the debating chamber.

Edited by Enoon
  • Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

24 minutes ago, bradiston said:

It doesn't stop him from being PM.

It stops him from being an MP until the court has made its ruling. That will be at least a week, as they didn't have time to discuss it at their weekly meeting on Wednesday. Which I guess means he won't be in Parliament on Thursday to plead his case to be PM.

• Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, spidermike007 said:
4 hours ago, catch104 said:

Oh yes, that's correct. Thailand and France have already many things in common, country size, population size, renowed cuisine, popular tourist destination....

Except France makes world class wine and cheese! 

And Thailand makes...... ??? Hmm. Let me think for a day or two.

2 hours ago, bradiston said:

I still don't get how the executor of an estate an be deemed to be the owner of any part of the estate.

The executor of the estate also can be a beneficiary of the will, and often is.  Many people will select one of their grown children to be their executor.  Children are primarily the beneficiaries of parents' wills.

Posts discussing the monarchy have been removed as well as a post wherein the quoted post has been changed has been removed.

4. You will not express disrespect of the King of Thailand or any member of the Thai royal family whether living or deceased. You will not criticize the monarchy as an institution. Speculation, comments or discussion of either a political or personal nature are not allowed when discussing His Majesty The King of Thailand or the Thai royal family. You will not link to or discuss any website which breaches this rule.

28. You will not make changes to messages quoted from other members posts, except for purposes of shortening the quoted post. Do not shorten any post in a way that alters the context of the original post. Do not change the formatting of the post you are quoting.

Good news.

This means after the good guys win the day and a democratically elected government takes power in Thailand the crooks currently attempting to derail democracy will be charged, prosecuted and jailed.

MF will return serve with vigour.

• Thanks 1

40 minutes ago, Barefoot said:

The executor of the estate also can be a beneficiary of the will, and often is.  Many people will select one of their grown children to be their executor.  Children are primarily the beneficiaries of parents' wills.

Yes, I get that. But no mention has been made as to whether Pita's father's will was still in probate. Did the shares have Pita's name on them? In fact, no details as far as I know have been released at all to the public, yet Mr Ruangkrai and the EC and presumably the CC, all appear to be privy to its contents. There's a lot we're not being told. But there again, this is really a private family matter, so in a sense, what business is it of ours? Well, simply put, the future of Thai democracy would appear to hinge on various obscure legal arguments. In a closed court.

Edited by bradiston

50 minutes ago, jvs said:

the losing outgoing party would have

found some thing else.

Yes, I see your point but I think they can do so only if it were against the law. For instance, the question was raised whether Pita's books were media. This would make Stephen King/Tomayanti journalists so i don't believe it can be used. 

Having said that, what else could they find? 

58 minutes ago, Bangkok Barry said:

It stops him from being an MP until the court has made its ruling. That will be at least a week, as they didn't have time to discuss it at their weekly meeting on Wednesday. Which I guess means he won't be in Parliament on Thursday to plead his case to be PM.

Incorrect Pita is a MP he was endorsed  by the EC a couple of weeks ago, along  with the rest of them  he will be able to enter parliment

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, Purdey said:

Yes, I see your point but I think they can do so only if it were against the law. For instance, the question was raised whether Pita's books were media. This would make Stephen King/Tomayanti journalists so i don't believe it can be used. 

Having said that, what else could they find? 

By definiton Books are literature  which in turn are media  and by the leter of the law is not allowed  the law does not care about Stephen King/Tomayanti

14 minutes ago, Otter3737 said:
1 hour ago, Bangkok Barry said:

Incorrect Pita is a MP he was endorsed  by the EC a couple of weeks ago, along  with the rest of them  he will be able to enter parliment

What I wrote is correct. What happened two weeks ago is irrelevant. It has been overtaken by what happened today.

#BREAKING: Thai Constitutional Court has ACCEPTED

@EctThailand

to seek ruling on @Pita_MFP’s eligibility to run for office despite allegedly knowingly holding media shares despite not allowed to do so. This also means he will be suspended as MP before his PM vote on Thu.

• Confused 1

7 hours ago, webfact said:

The EC also asked the court to order Pita to stop performing his duty as an MP immediately, until there is a decision by the court in the next three days as to whether to accept the case for consideration.

The timing isn't suspicious at all with the vote planned for tomorrow. They sure could have referred this to the court 1-2 weeks ago already. 

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

17 minutes ago, Otter3737 said:

By definiton Books are literature  which in turn are media  and by the leter of the law is not allowed  the law does not care about Stephen King/Tomayanti

so is facebook, line, instagram, tik tok, theTV, the smartphone. and so on.. abolish all as all is media....even a pressmeeting is media

Edited by ikke1959

Some people on this thread seem to be aware there were two events today involving the Constitutional Court.

The first one related to shareholding of media shares.  It was submitted too late to be considered by the court today and they only meet on Wednesdays, so that will look at it next week.  So this one does not change Pita's MP status.

The second event was on their agenda today and related to whether Move Forward's plan to change 112 was tantamount to trying to overthrow the monarchy.  The court accepted this second one, so I think -- but am not sure -- that he is suspended due to this second event.

https://www.reuters.com/world/asia-pacific/thai-court-decide-eligibility-case-pm-hopeful-pita-media-poll-body-source-2023-07-12/

• Thanks 1

56 minutes ago, champers said:

Current PM is not an MP. Didn't stand for election as one this time either.

Correct, the new rule set up by Prayut's crowd allows a non-MP to be prime minister. If they pull Pit's MP status, he can still be put forward as the new PM. ????

i believe that the Constitutional Court was informed already some time ago, but that the EC only today officially have send the documents to court. I don't believe that a court can't decide in a few minutes to accept the case like this, surely because in fact it was too late and very complex. The judges were well informed already I believe, and as they are military backgrounded too, in this way preventing that Pita can become PM. 

Edited by ikke1959
  • Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

12 minutes ago, Barefoot said:

Some people on this thread seem to be aware there were two events today involving the Constitutional Court.

The first one related to shareholding of media shares.  It was submitted too late to be considered by the court today and they only meet on Wednesdays, so that will look at it next week.  So this one does not change Pita's MP status.

The second event was on their agenda today and related to whether Move Forward's plan to change 112 was tantamount to trying to overthrow the monarchy.  The court accepted this second one, so I think -- but am not sure -- that he is suspended due to this second event.

https://www.reuters.com/world/asia-pacific/thai-court-decide-eligibility-case-pm-hopeful-pita-media-poll-body-source-2023-07-12/

Not sure about the suspension  but the second   is the most dangerous as it effects the whole party not just Pita

27 minutes ago, Bangkok Barry said:

What I wrote is correct. What happened two weeks ago is irrelevant. It has been overtaken by what happened today.

#BREAKING: Thai Constitutional Court has ACCEPTED

@EctThailand

to seek ruling on @Pita_MFP’s eligibility to run for office despite allegedly knowingly holding media shares despite not allowed to do so. This also means he will be suspended as MP before his PM vote on Thu.

You are Incorrect there Is NO suspension  by the court  that is an opinion by the EC you need to read the news  he will be in Parlement Tommorow

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1