Indian Tourist Drowns at Pattaya Hotel Pool

webfact

On 7/14/2023 at 5:02 AM, flyingtlger said:

If this happened in the US or any other industrialized country, there would be consequences but not in Thailand....Swim at your own risk!

I have seen it happen in the USA... an Indian got into difficulties at a Holiday Inn Pool I was staying at... I believe there was a sign 'No Lifeguard on Duty'.... many years ago mind.

1 hour ago, Yellowtail said:

A lot of people do not live in areas where it is inexpensive and convenient to learn to swim.

Where would a poor Thai kid learn to swim, particularly if their parents don't swim? 

Watch youtube or dont go in. Go in shallow end to practise.

10 hours ago, NextG said:

Condescending and ridiculous. 

It is basic stuff. Everyone has a phone. All the basics on the internet.

Ridiculous that adults don't know basics yet go swimming. If you cant drive dont drive a car. If you cant swim do go in deep end of a pool. 

23 hours ago, NextG said:

This is a fallacy. 

Please explain, especially with reference to the density of fresh water, salt water and the human body (with and without air in the lungs) etc.

• Haha 1

23 minutes ago, bignok said:

They teach it to kids. Basic stuff. Dont go in pools if you dont know basics

Nope, don't recall that... nobody had pools in NW UK back then. Don't go playing by the lodge was my mother's instruction.. we of course went playing by the lodge. 

5 minutes ago, jacko45k said:

Nope, don't recall that... nobody had pools in NW UK back then. Don't go playing by the lodge was my mother's instruction.. we of course went playing by the lodge. 

I hope you know how to swim now. 

Just now, bignok said:

I hope you know how to swim now. 

Yes sir... despite the primary school organizing swimming lessons at another school with a pool, where a sadistic teacher made me fear water... secondary school they had a pool and a good teacher who had me swimming soon! My father was also a poor teacher.

10 minutes ago, jacko45k said:

we must have been pretty lucky when we was kids, the junior school would take us once a week to the baths, it wasn't to far from home so if got some money we would go at the weekends, 

11 hours ago, save the frogs said:

people who cant swim will panic, get tense ... 

Learn in shallow end where you can stand up. Surely humans in 2023 can work this stuff out. They put a man on the moon in 1969.

On 7/14/2023 at 7:19 AM, ChipButty said:

Sad that no one could help him, people sitting there watching him drown, 

safety is not high on the agenda in Thailand hardly ever see any markings like Deep end or the Depth, we own a condo and we have 2, 25m pools the only sign i see is "This pool is not supervised" but there is life belts one at either end, survival of the fittest i think, 

A similar video popped up on Facebook of a kid drowning in a pool.  It went on for several minutes.  People seeming to walk past and look but do nothing, even when he was still and floating facedown in the pool.

I like to think it's due to some sort of ignorance and lack of experience/education, than simply being a case of "Oh, there's a kid dying over there who I could easily help.  Oh well.  I wonder what's for tea." 

I think some people (possibly more common in Thailand/developing countries than our home countries) simply don't think about these sorts of things in the same way others might.  They simply aren't tuned in to the idea of safety.

Hopefully one day they'll teach this stuff in schools or have adverts on TV about it.

On 7/14/2023 at 9:49 AM, NextG said:

This is a fallacy. 

No it isn't. Just lay on your back, you will float on the surface. If need be you can call for help.

Hard to believe someone drowns in a hotel pool with other people there.

3 hours ago, bignok said:

Learn how to float in 5 minutes

So then that’s not naturally is it? It’s something that may be learned and won’t necessarily work when you are already sinking. It’s a nonsense to say people naturally float. You naturally sink and have to learn to float. Otherwise no one would ever drown. Some of the people here think that are so smart. But theory doesn’t equate to reality. 

• Sad 1

4 minutes ago, NextG said:

So then that’s not naturally is it? It’s something that may be learned and won’t necessarily work when you are already sinking. It’s a nonsense to say people naturally float. You naturally sink and have to learn to float. Otherwise no one would ever drown. Some of the people here think that are so smart. But theory doesn’t equate to reality. 

Takes 5 minutes to learn. If an adult can't be bothered learning don't go near pools. 

1 hour ago, bignok said:

Takes 5 minutes to learn. If an adult can't be bothered learning don't go near pools. 

Much like saying don’t ride a bicycle if you aren’t expert at riding bicycles. Things happen. Circumstances aren’t always ideal.

• Sad 1
  • Thumbs Up 1