Upgrading Windows 7 > 10

BenStark

13 minutes ago, BenStark said:

The old PC will be retired when the new one is built.

If there is a program that isn't compatible that can be updated, and I can afford 500 baht for a license from Lazada.

My main concern is that it not loads at all in the new PC, and that i have to do a fresh install

Personally I would run a fresh install on a new device anyway. Your upgrade will stay in MBR format. It might not be an issue for you. But my choice would generally be to back up the data and to run a fresh install. Otherwise you are running Windows 11 sub-optimally. You can have the Windows 7/10 drive as a secondary bootable disk that you can boot in to/access separately. 

23 hours ago, NextG said:

Wrong again. The original method was the ‘workaround’ ???? Then it reverted to the usual method. It was just a method to press people into thinking that there was a deadline. Then people started to notice that upgrades were working as normal afterwards and in fact there were even more methods to do so. You just aren’t getting it. You had the wool pulled over your eyes. 

You are not getting it, I never had any problem.

You can pontificate all you want but if everything was as free and easy as you want to make out then this thread would never have come about.

1 minute ago, sandyf said:

You can pontificate all you want but if everything was as free and easy as you want to make out then this thread would never have come about.

Not at all, this thread was created asking a question before I started, to be sure that the info I had gathered on the internet was correct.

You had an old under specced PC, which is something completely different

53 minutes ago, sandyf said:

I guess this wasn’t you then?

“When I tried to do my wife's computer a few years back the free upgrade had expired., I used an upgrade package from another computer.

I am not saying that a work around is not available but the Windows instructions may not work as expected”

It’s amazing, the amount of gaslighting  and Trolls that come out of the woodwork in a thread like this. It’s like they want to be seen to be right even in the face of overwhelming evidence to the contrary. 

57 minutes ago, sandyf said:

It is as free and easy as I suggest. By design. 
You don’t need any fancy application to do it. You can even just use an old Windows 7 key to activate Windows 10. 
They want people to upgrade. By any means necessary. In fact, both Windows 10 and 11 will work perfectly well without a product key at all. You’ll just get a reminder and lose some options to personalise the Desktop. All update etc will work as normal. Stop arguing just for egotistical purpose. We are here to help each other. 
B192684D-47DE-4F57-8EC6-297FCDD06F01.thumb.jpeg.670837d92abffb214dc3cd3a40c1e928.jpeg

On 7/18/2023 at 3:38 PM, sandyf said:

All Microsoft has said is you can install on a unsupported processor but there will be no updates.

I have W11 on two unsupported PCs, and both get regular updates.

7 hours ago, BenStark said:

Theoretical new question.

Suppose I update old PC first to W10 and later to W11, and it all works.

I then move the SSD to the new PC.

Wil it not work at all, and I lose everything, or will it work but license revoked, and I have to enter new license code and reactivate again?

It will not work due to hardware and registry differences.

2 minutes ago, KannikaP said:

It will not work due to hardware and registry differences.

Actually it might. I regularly swap drives between devices and it always works.  Though if honestly, I don’t remember if they stayed activated. Though of course, that’s not an issue as there is always a way to fix that. 

Just now, NextG said:

Actually it might. I regularly swap drives between devices and it always works.  Though if honestly, I don’t remember if they stayed activated. Though of course, that’s not an issue as there is always a way to fix that. 

I have tried several times to put an SSD with W11 on it into another PC.

IT DOES NOT WORK.

4 minutes ago, KannikaP said:

IT DOES NOT WORK.

Admittedly I have only tried it with Windows 10 and three different laptops. Worked every time. Though on one occasion, I had to adjust the partition settings on the cloning software. That was when I recently cloned the drive from an ASUS to a larger capacity SSD and put that into an entirely unrelated DELL Latitude. Booted up immediately and is working to this day. Same with the laptop that I’m using now. Drive pulled out of a failed device. 
I haven’t tested every combination, so I cannot say why it didn’t work for you. But it has worked for me EVERY time. 

On 7/16/2023 at 8:51 AM, KannikaP said:

Why not go the whole way and install W11.

The installation criteria can easily be bypassed.

Windows 11 is kak..... If you think about it every second release from MS is just garbage.

Win95    ....kind of OK for what it was at that time

Win98    Much better

Win Me  Crap

XP          Very nice

Vista      You must be kidding

Win7      Best so far

Win8      Abomination

Win10    Not bad at all, apart from all the (mal)spyware

Win11     Thanks, but no thanks

Maybe better to wait for Win12, which supposed to be just around the corner.

• Sad 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, SpaceKadet said:

Windows 11 is kak..... If you think about it every second release from MS is just garbage.

Win95    ....kind of OK for what it was at that time

Win98    Much better

Win Me  Crap

XP          Very nice

Vista      You must be kidding

Win7      Best so far

Win8      Abomination

Win10    Not bad at all, apart from all the (mal)spyware

Win11     Thanks, but no thanks

Maybe better to wait for Win12, which supposed to be just around the corner.

What is so bad with W11 as opposed to W10?

• Thumbs Up 1

5 minutes ago, NextG said:

Admittedly I have only tried it with Windows 10 and three different laptops. Worked every time. Though on one occasion, I had to adjust the partition settings on the cloning software. That was when I recently cloned the drive from an ASUS to a larger capacity SSD and put that into an entirely unrelated DELL Latitude. Booted up immediately and is working to this day. Same with the laptop that I’m using now. Drive pulled out of a failed device. 
I haven’t tested every combination, so I cannot say why it didn’t work for you. But it has worked for me EVERY time. 

Transferring a SSD With OS on to a new PC - Microsoft Community

1 minute ago, KannikaP said:

What is so bad with W11 as opposed to W10?

The desktop and the start menu to start with, plus all the other items that require 2-3 clicks more compared to Win10.

And please explain to me why they just hide and relocate often used items in every new release. Just too many things to mention. I have one rig running Win11 and bloody hate to work with it. 

The only reason I would install W11 is for the Core Dispatch Manager support (or what ever it's called) for Gen13 processors.

2 minutes ago, SpaceKadet said:

The desktop and the start menu to start with, plus all the other items that require 2-3 clicks more compared to Win10.

And please explain to me why they just hide and relocate often used items in every new release. Just too many things to mention. I have one rig running Win11 and bloody hate to work with it. 

The only reason I would install W11 is for the Core Dispatch Manager support (or what ever it's called) for Gen13 processors.

Have you tried ‘God Mode’?

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, SpaceKadet said:

image.png

1 hour ago, KannikaP said:

IT DOES NOT WORK.

58 minutes ago, KannikaP said:

Your link actually confirms that it does work, only that if you have an OEM licence like I have, you may need to buy a new licence, but even that is contradicted in 1 post.

In case you forgot my question.

or will it work but license revoked, and I have to enter new license code and reactivate again?

• Thumbs Up 1

12 minutes ago, KannikaP said:

When you buy a new car, or move to a new house, everything isn't where it was on the old one. LEARN and get used to it.

Or buy another car that you like better...

If you look at my first post, everything from Win95 to Win10 (Start Menu, right click options, Control Panel, etc) was more or less the same. Suddenly they just turned everything upside down... just for the fun of it as it doesn't bring any ergonomic advantage to the Desktop.

Just like GNOME, one of the major desktops for Linux. At some point the developers decided that everything was a Pad, and my 32 inch monitor showed only 6 humongous icons, without much configuration options..... Needless to say, haven't used Gnome ever since. But at least on Linux we have plenty of choice for Desktop, unlike this M$ crap.

• Sad 1
  • Thanks 1