Crackdown ordered on organised crime in Pattaya, stricter visa screening after Ralter Mack murder

webfact

33 minutes ago, Sigma6 said:

Preventing agents supplying 800k to support a visa / ext. application is likely to be looked at.  In sources mentioned on TNT both the accused had gotten their retirement visas / extensions this way.  

Too many snouts in the trough to stop that, I think Big Joke was looking into stuff like that and got moved sideways before being removed after a year.

He was appointed as the chief of the Immigration Bureau in September 2018 and removed from his post in 2019 for unclear reasons. As chief of the Immigration Bureau, he frequently appeared in news headlines

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Jumbo1968 said:

He was appointed as the chief of the Immigration Bureau in September 2018 and removed from his post in 2019 for unclear reasons. As chief of the Immigration Bureau, he frequently appeared in news headlines

...or was he appointed to oversee the large contract the IB had for procurement of fingerprint technology to make sure there was no corruption - moved after that job done?

Disclosure: not new here, can be tongue in cheek sometimes.

Seems there is a clampdown on agent business right now and while face value that appears to be an attempt to stop it, there could be other reasons.

Like everything else, I suspect this will blow over and 4-6 weeks from now no one will remember anything about it.

Just like everytime there is a nightclub or condo fire and they "clamp down" on safety regulations and make all manner of announcements and then a month later you see not a single thing has changed and most have no idea what you are talking about.

I'd suggest though that certain people who tend to be a wee bit "over-tattooed" may want to cover up a bit when they go to Immigration for their next extension.

The biggest problem most Harley riding foreigners will face is if their club is one of the "poser" clubs that wear the 1% patch even though they aren't "outlaw" gangsters. 
 Like Burapha Bike Club. The ones who host the annual Burapa Bike Week event every year. They sport the 1% patch though I doubt anyone considers them to be the same as the Bandidos, Hells Angels or Outlaws.

But I suspect the BiB might not know the difference and might paint everyone with the same brush.

But when you think about it, when was the last time you saw a "biker" at Immigration ? You know, riding up on his Harley, wearing his 1% vest and flashing his tats.
I don't recall seeing anyone that stood out as a "biker" anytime I've ever gone to Immigration.

And I suspect that any of them that are worried about it will just use an agent. It never fails that you see a couple of them every time you go there - and not just for the "90 Day" reporting either.

(Note: Did my last extension about 6 weeks ago. Gave my paperwork to the girl at the table outside where they also take the 90 day report passports. She gave me a slip - #800. First up !

Stood in line for a bit until the doors opened. It was about 08:31 when she waved me to the counter. Checked my papers, took the fee, took my photo, gave me my ticket and I left. 
Outside I looked at my watch. 08:36. 

5(ish) minutes and 1,900 baht. Went back the next day, picked up the passport, went outside and did the 90 Day report. 20 minutes later I was on my way home.

I usually do a concurrent activity when I have to go to Jomtien so I stopped at a friend's bar for lunch then stopped at Foodland on the way home.

It's really not hard at all.

• Like 1

Probably simply more visa app. rejections based on cosmetic look of foreigners in Badboy magnet - Pats..

Visible tats/gangsterish/sinister as an "officer sees fit" to reject.

800k retirement visa probably on its way out near future when waves of new retireees from developing countries getting richer crush the system.

The entry requirement bar will get a lot higher like these new visas brought in last 5 years or so.

Edited by freedomnow
  • Like 1

On 7/17/2023 at 6:26 AM, hotchilli said:

Should this not be an ongoing thing anyway?

No, a crackdown begins only when bodies are discovered in freezers - something that has never happened before in Pattaya.

What Mr Joke is suggesting is that they have never done their job, but now they will start earning their pay.

This knee-jerk policing is tiresome, with a new crackdown promised every time a crime is committed by foreigners. The reality is that Pattaya is still a very safe place to live and crackdowns won't change a thing.

• Thumbs Up 1

21 hours ago, Jumbo1968 said:

They appear to have added more rooms to the Immigration Office and construction was going on for more space. 
Thailand makes a lot of money from its Immigration laws so it can’t start enforcing to many rules and regulations.

I have no idea who makes what when you have the ฿800000 in your account, it’s deposited and removed within minutes but immigration must be taking a big cut allegedly ?

No, My 800,000 is permanently in a special account all year every year. no point in f*****n around.

2 hours ago, Sigma6 said:

Preventing agents supplying 800k to support a visa / ext. application is likely to be looked at.  In sources mentioned on TNT both the accused had gotten their retirement visas / extensions this way.  

As have many on here who think it's going to continue for ever. The usual excuses are time saving, I wonder what these people are doing with their time saved? The other is don't want to keep 800k here are they can earn a lot more interest with the cash at home. But they are losing 10k on interest here and about 16k for the corrupt extension, so they would have to have been getting a ridiculously high interest rate to make that much difference over 26k. interest anywhere on 800k is a pittance anyway, I suspect these people don't actually have 800k, or even a pot to pee in.

22 minutes ago, Liverpool Lou said:

That's not criminal, it's discretional. IOs using their permitted discretion is perfectly legal.

Only doing it when bribed to IS criminal and often the extensions are from a province the applicant does not live in, also illegal. Closing the so called discretion loophole should be done ASAP.

Edited by proton
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

14 minutes ago, Golden Triangle said:

No, My 800,000 is permanently in a special account all year every year. no point in f*****n around.

Having the 800,000 baht equivalent on deposit,  which might make you 40,000 in interest each year elsewhere, is reason enough for many, tied to the flexibility to just up sticks at any time. I actually do the same as you, but can see the reasoning to do otherwise.

3 minutes ago, proton said:

Only doing it when bribed to IS criminal and often the extensions are often from a province the applicant does not live in, also illegal. Closing the so called discretion loophole should be done ASAP.

Isn't going to happen.. too much money being made. You are in the Pattaya Forum so differing province comment not applicable. 

Edited by jacko45k

1 minute ago, jacko45k said:

Having the 800,000 baht equivalent on deposit,  which might make you 40,000 in interest each year elsewhere, is reason enough for many, tied to the flexibility to just up sticks at any time. I actually do the same as you, but can see the reasoning to do otherwise.

So about an extra 14k a year is worth the risk of handing your passport over to strangers to get a dodgy extension, hope I will never be that hard up.

Just now, proton said:

So about an extra 14k a year is worth the risk of handing your passport over to strangers to get a dodgy extension, hope I will never be that hard up.

Haha, you hand it to immigration officials who are strangers, so another point missing. The difference is probably closer to 20,000... but in reality I think many do not have the 800k to spare, and live off pension income. I talked to some who are very adverse to bringing that much into Thailand too..... why I am unsure.. again ready to leave at the drop of a hat perhaps.  As said, I do as you, more than the 800k needed actually. I have expected it to go up at some time, maybe as a medical cover requirement one day.

It’s a shame the Police don’t commit so much time to traffic offences and road deaths, 1 murder and they are like flies round s*** !
If it was Thais involved in this atrocity it would barely make the headlines or what about Thai woman who murdered 15 with cyanide ?

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, JensenZ said:

No, a crackdown begins only when bodies are discovered in freezers - something that has never happened before in Pattaya.

What Mr Joke is suggesting is that they have never done their job, but now they will start earning their pay.

This knee-jerk policing is tiresome, with a new crackdown promised every time a crime is committed by foreigners. The reality is that Pattaya is still a very safe place to live and crackdowns won't change a thing.

Agreed, this is not an everyday occurrence, it appears allegedly to be a ‘mafia type execution’ 

3 hours ago, freeworld said:

So a few foreign criminals commit a crime in Thailand and many are now hollering to clamp down and inconvenience and make everything more difficult and more costly for the majority of law abiding foreigners visiting Thailand.

And people bragging how they have ฿800k in the bank yellow books and pink ID Cards.

• Confused 1

8 hours ago, mokwit said:

but if it transpires I have to make a trip back to home country ahead of visa extension on certain dates, I won't welcome that

It'll never happen. 

Have you any idea how many foreigners on retirement visas that are bed ridden? So many hospitalized etc.,

Don't worry, you'll be OK. 

Edited by SAFETY FIRST
  • Confused 1

8 hours ago, mokwit said:

I don't have a criminal record so I have nothing to hide, but if it transpires I have to make a trip back to home country ahead of visa extension on certain dates, I won't welcome that inconvenience from further changing of the deal.

All those wishing for tighter visa regulations, be careful what you wish for - the rising tide might reach you. You may think as one of the self styled "good" Falangs you will always be OK, but at the very least you may have to file further documents a extension time.

Am happy to go home any time Thailand decides I should go.

In the mean time.... lock the place down to anyone that shows at check-in with a police report that shows history.

3 hours ago, Jumbo1968 said:

It’s a shame the Police don’t commit so much time to traffic offences and road deaths,

Traffic police work (obviously) in different branch of the Royal Thai Police force than the immigration police.

You should choose another tree to bark up... cause this one has no legs.

32 minutes ago, Ralf001 said:

Traffic police work (obviously) in different branch of the Royal Thai Police force than the immigration police.

You should choose another tree to bark up... cause this one has no legs.

Traffic Police no different from the Royal Thai Police, or any other law enforcement agency in Thailand they never enforce the law as written. 

9 hours ago, Jumbo1968 said:
9 hours ago, Danderman123 said:

If they force everyone re-applying for a non-O visa to go home to re-apply, there will be a reaction.

The real criminals will be living under a false identity here, we all know brown envelopes can help smooth the passage. A few weeks ago it was the Chinese who bought the Police out to set up illegal gambling in Thailand.

Exactly. Criminals will always find ways, or have the money to stay nonetheless. But some of the bonafide retirees may decide that Thailand isn't worth the hassle anymore.

• Thumbs Up 1

13 minutes ago, StayinThailand2much said:

Exactly. Criminals will always find ways, or have the money to stay nonetheless. But some of the bonafide retirees may decide that Thailand isn't worth the hassle anymore.

Any one with a criminal record irrespective of having Criminal Record Check will find a way, there could be loads living here on overstay. As long as they stay under the radar they will never be found, the Police never ever as far I know have a stop and search policy asking for documents not unless you commit an offence.

5 hours ago, proton said:

As have many on here who think it's going to continue for ever. The usual excuses are time saving, I wonder what these people are doing with their time saved? The other is don't want to keep 800k here are they can earn a lot more interest with the cash at home. But they are losing 10k on interest here and about 16k for the corrupt extension, so they would have to have been getting a ridiculously high interest rate to make that much difference over 26k. interest anywhere on 800k is a pittance anyway, I suspect these people don't actually have 800k, or even a pot to pee in.

Curtain twitcher ????

6 hours ago, proton said:

How do you know some one who doesn’t have a pot to pee in if they don’t have the ฿800k in the bank here, you are being very presumptuous, even if they don’t they are contributing towards Thailands economy.

8 hours ago, Jumbo1968 said:

Traffic Police no different from the Royal Thai Police, or any other law enforcement agency in Thailand they never enforce the law as written. 

And they certainly do not enforce anything outside their jurisdiction/department.

So baffles me the keyboard warriors crying cause a traffic policeman is not chasing down overstayers/kiddie fiddlers/murderers/ETC ETC ETC.

It is NOT their job. 

13 hours ago, Jumbo1968 said:

If it was Thais involved in this atrocity it would barely make the headlines or what about Thai woman who murdered 15 with cyanide ?

Well that was all there was in the headlines for some time so you basically disproved your own point!