Bangkok student’s offensive gesture triggers backlash

snoop1130

45 minutes ago, Scouse123 said:

Nothing mentioned about her friends mother who launched a filthy racist attack, or are we awaiting another ' bunch of flowers '

The chicken delight basket is coming soon.

• Love It 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Scouse123 said:

And a few flowers makes it all ' alright '

This is the problem with Thais, the apology I am quite sure is forced and not genuine, it's the same with the wais and 500 baht fines for unruly and violent behaviour.

Nothing mentioned about her friends mother who launched a filthy racist attack, or are we awaiting another ' bunch of flowers '

" It's easier to build strong children , than repair broken ones "

a forced apology, flowers and loose of face is better than make a big case out of it.

3 minutes ago, h90 said:

a forced apology, flowers and loose of face is better than make a big case out of it.

Depends what you want to come out of it. Expelling the child and having her face criminal charges would surely have a greater impact on racism in Thailand, than simply a wai and all is forgotten.

It's making the bad press go away vs. trying to ensure it won't happen again. The latter simply isn't a thing in Thailand.

14 minutes ago, RichardColeman said:

I don't really see it as an issue - think we all did it or knew someone that did it at school - just kids being kids. (remember telling my art teacher loudly to FO)

The racist mother though is a different story..................

So not an artsy kind of fellow then

• Haha 1

30 minutes ago, BangkokReady said:

Depends what you want to come out of it. Expelling the child and having her face criminal charges would surely have a greater impact on racism in Thailand, than simply a wai and all is forgotten.

It's making the bad press go away vs. trying to ensure it won't happen again. The latter simply isn't a thing in Thailand.

a criminal case because a kid in puberty misbehave in school...half of my generation would be criminals....

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, JayClay said:

You don't deem the term "she should go back to the jungle" as racist?

OK, yes it is....but mildly so. Just the first kind of insult that came into her mind...if it would be a Thai teacher who is gay, who is bald, who is small, who is fat that would have been the topic.

• Confused 1

14 hours ago, carlf said:

I just read the original article and quickly saw the video on Thaiger, as well as the Asiannow excerpt.  Perhaps I'm missing something, but I see NO reason to call this "racism" !??  I read about a young student making rude gestures.  Ok, probably the student should be reprimanded for being disrespectful, but I see NO reason to call this racist.  Is there any reason to think that this student wouldn't have done the same thing to a Thai (or Caucasian... or Chinese... or....) teacher?

but I see NO reason to call this "racism"

Of course it's racism.

There is no way on God's Earth that this girl would have carried out her actions if the Teacher was Thai, not a chance.

• Thanks 1

56 minutes ago, h90 said:

Where is the racism?

Here y' go, and for all others who cannot be bothered reading the link. Comes after "racist rant" I'll clue ya.

"The mother of the student who uploaded the clip to Twitter defended her daughter before exploding into a racist rant.

“This is not my daughter’s fault. She (the teacher) is a fool but dares to teach my daughter. Look at you, Ngo Pa (Negrito). My daughter told me about her. She said her teacher is stupid and should go back to the jungle.”

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Hamus Yaigh said:

Here y' go, and for all others who cannot be bothered reading the link. Comes after "racist rant" I'll clue ya.

"The mother of the student who uploaded the clip to Twitter defended her daughter before exploding into a racist rant.

“This is not my daughter’s fault. She (the teacher) is a fool but dares to teach my daughter. Look at you, Ngo Pa (Negrito). My daughter told me about her. She said her teacher is stupid and should go back to the jungle.”

That has zero to do with video.

• Haha 1

17 minutes ago, Hamus Yaigh said:

My apologies, I thought it was directly related to the video as it is linked to the exact same video in the story that the racist parents are commenting on.

I'm just saying the video of girl being disrespectful isn't in itself racist in my view, the parent's view is something else.

Uruguay striker Cavani was banned for three games and fined £100,000 after posting a message on Instagram saying "gracias negrito", and that was a post to his friend, 

Thais are racist even amongst themselves 

8 minutes ago, EVENKEEL said:

I'm just saying the video of girl being disrespectful isn't in itself racist in my view, the parent's view is something else.

"My daughter told me about her. She said her teacher is stupid and should go back to the jungle"

Is it clear enough yet?? ????

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, JayClay said:

"My daughter told me about her. She said her teacher is stupid and should go back to the jungle"

Is it clear enough yet?? ????

mildly racist....

• Confused 1
  • Thumbs Up 1