Back on the bar stool.

bob smith

If booze is your thing, Bob.......and I'm enough of a fan of booze myself to claim we're close friends (me & booze that is) ......then give it that which ensures a happier relationship.

Examples........wait till dusk, at least.

.........drink at home or away

from a bar, in an

environment that pleases 

you.....ie, with good mates, 

on a seashore, hill,

mountain, living room 

listening to good jazz.

.......appreciate the good feeling 

booze gives you and show 

gratitude to it by not 

demanding too much of it.

Stick to a preset limit and 

let that be your guide. Better

to be just satisfyingly          

intoxicated and then wisely   

quit for the day.......and thus 

more happily repeat each

day....than to give in to 

excess.......every darned time

...........with all the sh** that 

brings. 

Your call, bob.

33 minutes ago, Toolong said:

If booze is your thing, Bob.......and I'm enough of a fan of booze myself to claim we're close friends (me & booze that is) ......then give it that which ensures a happier relationship.

Examples........wait till dusk, at least.

.........drink at home or away

from a bar, in an

environment that pleases 

you.....ie, with good mates, 

on a seashore, hill,

mountain, living room 

listening to good jazz.

.......appreciate the good feeling 

booze gives you and show 

gratitude to it by not 

demanding too much of it.

Stick to a preset limit and 

let that be your guide. Better

to be just satisfyingly          

intoxicated and then wisely   

quit for the day.......and thus 

more happily repeat each

day....than to give in to 

excess.......every darned time

...........with all the sh** that 

brings. 

Your call, bob.

A bold endeavour!

There’s nothing that gives you a thirst more than a few bevvies, bar maybe an excess.

Back in the day, I’d go to the pub for my dinner, maybe a couple more, pop down to see Cliff or HankMarvin in the Reef, and then flag a taxi into town to get into trouble.  
I’m older, sadder, and maybe wiser now, The Reef has closed, and taxis are few and far between in these Grab days.

13 hours ago, Neeranam said:

Who told you this? 

They couldn't be farther from the truth. 

Steps 2 & 3

Source: https://www.aa.org/the-twelve-steps

2. Came to believe that a Power greater than ourselves could restore us to sanity.

3. Made a decision to turn our will and our lives over to the care of God as we understood Him.

If you need to get to step 12 to cure yourself but can't get on board with step 2 or 3, how can you be "welcome" at AA?

8 hours ago, StreetCowboy said:

A bold endeavour!

There’s nothing that gives you a thirst more than a few bevvies, bar maybe an excess.

Back in the day, I’d go to the pub for my dinner, maybe a couple more, pop down to see Cliff or HankMarvin in the Reef, and then flag a taxi into town to get into trouble.  
I’m older, sadder, and maybe wiser now, The Reef has closed, and taxis are few and far between in these Grab days.

'Cliff or Hank Marvin in The Reef'? That's going back some, Streetcowboy. 

Your comments were amusing ????. Not exactly sure how they relate to my own comments, though. 

Re 'excess', my own drinking many years ago always involved excess. But I didn't want to get to the point where it was carry on & die young or quit outright. Quitting outright was such a terrifying option that I went for moderation with preset limits. Body's good with it now & has adapted. I can get happily mellow on very little, enough to kill the urge to binge. ????

On 7/21/2023 at 2:49 PM, bob smith said:

i've been thinking about it.

dont you need a work permit to volunteer though?

The orphanage will be able to advise you on that if they are legit.

The Pattaya orphanage ( Father Ray's ) has western volunteers. Check out their web site or get in touch with them about it.

3 hours ago, JayClay said:

If you need to get to step 12 to cure yourself but can't get on board with step 2 or 3, how can you be "welcome" at AA?

The Steps are optional in AA. There are no requirements. 

Everyone is welcome and I know many in AA who don't do the steps.

Actually, there are more and more non-alcoholics going to AA these days, and they don't need a spiritual solution to stay sober. 

Try it for 90 days, and if you don't like it, we'll gladly refund your misery

22 hours ago, Neeranam said:

I didn't know that. So I've learned something new today.

I still believe that the enphasis the group place on spirituality is probably the reason that you've not encountered too many athiest recoveries, rather than your belief that spirituality itself is a necessity for recovery.

13 minutes ago, JayClay said:

I didn't know that. So I've learned something new today.

I still believe that the enphasis the group place on spirituality is probably the reason that you've not encountered too many athiest recoveries, rather than your belief that spirituality itself is a necessity for recovery.

If you are interested, I've done a lot of work in setting up AA meetings with Thai Buddhists, who don't believe in God. There is material which I could send you, in Thai, that instead of God, uses 'sing sak sid'. 

24 minutes ago, Neeranam said:

If you are interested, I've done a lot of work in setting up AA meetings with Thai Buddhists, who don't believe in God. There is material which I could send you, in Thai, that instead of God, uses 'sing sak sid'. 

It's just a different form of spirituality though, isn't it?

If I were an alcoholic and needed support I'd be searching out a group who promoted a belief that anybody has the power to overcome an addiction. Not a group that tells people that they are powerless to counter the problem by themselves ????.

• Confused 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

14 minutes ago, JayClay said:

If I were an alcoholic and needed support I'd be searching out a group who promoted a belief that anybody has the power to overcome an addiction. Not a group that tells people that they are powerless to counter the problem by themselves ????.

https://www.aa.org/god-word-agnostic-and-atheist-members-aa

• Sad 1

1 minute ago, JayClay said:

Your messaging on the topic is therefore confused and there's not much point discussing it further (after we kinda hijacked the thread in the first place.... Sorry Mr Bob)

I think you are confused between my opinion, (and Carl Jung's) and AA's. 

Just now, Neeranam said:

I think you are confused between my opinion, (and Carl Jung's) and AA's. 

No. I find it hypocritical to be promoting literature about how athiests can be "cured" when you don't believe it yourself.

I don't know what point you're trying to make. And I don't care anymore. Thanks for all the input so far, anyway. As I said, I did learn something from it at least.

37 minutes ago, JayClay said:

True. All addictions are based on needs and wants. Find the root cause then find a better habit.

• Confused 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

5 minutes ago, JayClay said:

No. I find it hypocritical to be promoting literature about how athiests can be "cured" when you don't believe it yourself.

I don't know what point you're trying to make. And I don't care anymore. Thanks for all the input so far, anyway. As I said, I did learn something from it at least.

I agree that there is no point continuing this, but I want to clarify that I was not promoting AA literature, I was correcting your post saying that AA don't accept atheists. 

2 hours ago, Neeranam said:

I agree that there is no point continuing this, but I want to clarify that I was not promoting AA literature, I was correcting your post saying that AA don't accept atheists. 

I don't believe I said that, did I?

On 7/21/2023 at 8:13 PM, KhunLA said:

Zinger no longer available, and now a chicken burger for 49 baht.  I'd rather pay the extra 15 ish baht for the Zinger.  Won't be getting the Chicken burger again ... nuff said.

Oh, thanks for telling me. My niece usually gets it for me and I hadn't realized it isn't the Zinger any more. It looks, smells, and tastes the same to me. I usually scrape off the salad dressing and put a slice of cheddar cheese on it.

• Like 1

The actual phrase is "Came to believe that a Power greater than ourselves could restore us to sanity." I've heard there are groups that are Christian, but most are not, any more. I was always lucky to be able to find groups that called themselves "recovering Christians." The "higher power" can be anything. I just accepted Alcoholics Anonymous for a while, then left it undefined and tentative. It just seemed to me that either there is a huge conspiracy to make my life good, or there's some kind of power watching out for me (since I got sober).

I don't know why you would want to claim you're cured. I never heard anyone in AA say anything except that they were one drink away from being the same as before. You never get cured. You learn to avoid the poison.

Of course I haven't been to a meeting for several years. There's no group in Nakorn Sawan, and I never found being a Loner helpful.

On 7/22/2023 at 10:02 AM, Neeranam said:

Everyone is welcome and I know many in AA who don't do the steps.

Actually, there are more and more non-alcoholics going to AA these days, and they don't need a spiritual solution to stay sober. 

Try it for 90 days, and if you don't like it, we'll gladly refund your misery

I'm sorry to say that sometimes not everyone is welcome. However, in one of the Traditions it says, "The only requirement for membership is a desire to stop drinking." It used to be "a sincere desire," but then they realized how silly that was. No alcoholic can be sincere. I only was able to do the first three steps, myself, but I haven't had to take a drink in 47 years.

On 7/23/2023 at 9:15 AM, JayClay said:

<snip>

Well, see, that's why members of AA refer to non-alcoholics as "normies." You're not like us and don't understand us. I think it's possible for normies to understand juicers, but there's no particular reason for them to.

30 minutes ago, Acharn said:

I'm sorry to say that sometimes not everyone is welcome. However, in one of the Traditions it says, "The only requirement for membership is a desire to stop drinking." It used to be "a sincere desire," but then they realized how silly that was. No alcoholic can be sincere. I only was able to do the first three steps, myself, but I haven't had to take a drink in 47 years.

I meant to say all alcoholics are welcome. 

Non alcoholics are, of course, not welcome. Sadly, nowadays there are more and more, partly, IMHO, due to the short form. 

The short form of tradition 3 was written for treatment centres.