Have You Turned into Your Dad?

GinBoy2

17 minutes ago, transam said:

At times, I do my dads near silent whistle, it always reminds me of him, so a blessing in disguise...????

Not the same man as my dad as he was not the same as his, but the apple don't fall to far away from the appletree. :smile:

I'm similar to my dad which I see as a good thing. Although he and my mum separated when I was a child, I still regularly saw him. We still have the same interests like Rugby, snooker, formula 1, going for long walks, bbqs and drinking. He was the only one in the family that encouraged me to move where I wanted to. He now comes to Thailand every two years to see me. 

• Like 2

On 7/18/2023 at 7:10 PM, BritManToo said:

Got to say, us having money in our old age is more about when we were born (1950-1960) than anything else.

We were born into a golden age never seen before and probably never to be seen again.

I think it's true. We won a genetic/geographical lottery in a very real sense.

I was born in 1949 to a upper middle class family. We never wanted for anything and was taught to handle money.

My life road seemed to present any opportunity I wanted and I took plenty of them . I loved my chosen career, electronic engineering, until the day I retired at 67. I just wanted to see new things. I'm more than secure financially and free to do what pleases me.

I wonder at times about my choice of retiring to the Kingdom, but a fantastic Thai mate and reasonable contentment keep me here. I suspect it would be the same wherever I retired. I certainly have no regrets about coincidentally leaving USA two weeks after the Orange Slime took over. 

My generation took the big bite out of the sweet apple called America. Those times are gone for good I'm afraid. That tree is withered for lack of care by the people, the fruit rotten and wormy from greed and power, and hate and division poison the soil, maybe for generations to come.

'Retirement', like 'Peace', has become a word rapidly falling into disuse and will soon again become a quaint anomaly as it has been for the majority of recorded history.

But at least some of us have recognized the blessing we were given. I am thankful for where and when I was born.

• Like 1

When I first wrote this, I was primarily talking about physical appearance as we age.

As with many of you I don't think I resemble my Dad in my mental state in the slightest.

My Dad was a down to earth kinda guy, worked in the fields all his life.

It was my Mom who nurtured and encouraged me to go on to be the first in my family to go to college.

So in many ways my Mom made my mind, but sure as Hell my Dad made how I look physically today 

• Thanks 1

I would have been far better off if I had turned into my Dad. He was a good guy, though he drank too much and made bad decisions. I did stupid things like getting a Master’s Degree and dabbling in academia before cashing out at age 65 and heading for Thailand.  ???? ???? ????. Been here for eight years and couldn’t possibly go back to the USA..  ????

No. He was a very quiet man, also traumatised somewhat by what he saw during WW2 - especially when ordered to execute a girl because she was 'probably' sniping at them. Never really knew what he wanted in life - i think he was content to own a nice house, liked gardening, and betting a little bit on the horses. Spent most of his retirement watching TV or gardening.

Gardening is the only thing we have in common. What is scary, a cousin has in the last 5 years become more like me every year - it is like looking in a mirror.

On 7/21/2023 at 4:17 AM, rickudon said:

No. He was a very quiet man, also traumatised somewhat by what he saw during WW2 - especially when ordered to execute a girl because she was 'probably' sniping at them. Never really knew what he wanted in life - i think he was content to own a nice house, liked gardening, and betting a little bit on the horses. Spent most of his retirement watching TV or gardening.

Gardening is the only thing we have in common. What is scary, a cousin has in the last 5 years become more like me every year - it is like looking in a mirror.

DNA has a weird way of raising it's head as we get older.

I'm an only child, of an only child Mom, yet my second cousin looks like my twin, and like my Dad.

We have had some discussions about that!

• Haha 1

I came to the uncomfortable realization several years back that my dad never said anything meaningful to me the entire time. No advice, encouragement, nothing. Just a wall of silence.

Whatever I thought him to be was made up in my own head. Even to this day he just sits there watching tv mostly. ????????‍♂️

Edited by JimTripper

Well, when I first started this I thought it was just a light hearted thread about how we end up looking in our twilight years.

What I have realized there is a lot of pent up therapists couch anger towards good old dad!

• Sad 1