Breaking stereotypes: Thai students organise birthday surprise for black teacher

snoop1130

14 hours ago, snoop1130 said:

ดีไซน์ที่ยังไม่ได้ตั้งชื่อ-19.jpg

Thai students at Chaturaphak Phiman School in the Isaan province of Roi Et have taken a stand against stereotypes, showing the world that not all Thai students are racist. The student shared a video of them creating a birthday surprise for their black teacher.

Three days ago, a video of a Thai student raising her middle fingers at a black teacher in class at a school in Bangkok went viral on Thai social media. The student and her classmates faced fierce criticism on social media for disrespecting the teacher.

The students in the class later promised netizens they would officially apologize to the teacher. A video of the apology then followed. It featured students holding a flower chalice and kneeling to apologize to the teacher. According to a report in Thai media, the teacher forgave her students.

Unfortunately, the video of the Thai girl flipping her middle fingers to the teacher went viral in in other countries, tarnishing the image of Thai people.

To restore the reputation of Thai pupils, a student from another school shared a video of a birthday surprise on her TikTok account, how_to_yada, yesterday, July 19. The video showed students singing Happy Birthday to their foreign teacher and offering three small cakes with flickering candles.

By Petch Petpailin

Caption: Photo via TikTok @how_to_yada

Full Story: https://thethaiger.com/news/national/breaking-stereotypes-thai-students-organise-birthday-surprise-for-black-teacher-video

Thaiger

-- © Copyright Thaiger 2023-07-20

- Cigna offers a range of visa-compliant plans that meet the minimum requirement of medical treatment, including COVID-19, up to THB 3m. For more information on all expat health insurance plans click here.

What is more worse as seen by foreigners? A black teacher being given the finger and insulted by a Thai student? Or Thai students being forced by the admin, government, and families to save Thailands image by doing this and publicizing it? 

Hey look at us world. We dont think foreigner teachers are allowed respect, but we will save face and do something because we were told to by the Thais. Hmph.. I think this is more of an insult to Thailand than that of that girl flipping the finger to the teacher. Tomorrow when noone is looking there will still be fingers flipped at the teacher and comments made in Thai insulting her. More so now after being reprimanded and forced to comply by their Thai teachers and school. 

• Confused 2
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Thanks 1

At first I thought the headline was about a Thai teacher, I have seen Thais darker than her. 

Good on her for (trying) teaching English, Thais teachers are not capable, IMO apart from what is your name, where you come from?? after 3yrs of being taught/lack of interest, it's even hard to find one English speaking staff at a banks Main branch.

• Sad 2

A birthday cake, wow!

Well, I suppose it beats the old predictable one of finding 1,000,000 baht in the back of a taxi and returning it to its rightful owner, to get Thailand's ' image ' back.

just more virtue signalling by the lefties of social media. How many white teachers are "disrespected" by Thai students on a daily basis? plenty, in fact many if not all experience some unpleasantness from both students and other Thai teachers but it doesn't get mentioned.. However the minute it happens to a black teacher the "netizens" suddenly go into some sort of meltdown

The vast majority of Thais are not particularly enamoured with foreigners, regardless of colour, and why should they be?  if the truth be known, most people, wherever they come from are not particularly enamoured with foreigners, again regardless of colour

In my opinion it's a normal and natural  human instinct to be at the least, "wary" of those we don't know, mothers in most countries, tell their kids from an early age "don't talk to strangers" purely out of a maternal  concern for their children's safety, They don't specifically say "don't talk to strangers of a different colour"  or "don't talk to those with a different accent"  although those two characteristics are easy ways for kids or anybody else for that matter to identify strangers.

There are a couple of young kids ( around 1 to 2 years old) in the wifes extended family at present and there have been plenty of others over the past 30 years, when ever their parents visit us the reaction of the kids is pretty much the same regarding me. In so much that they quickly become familiar with the Thai members of the family, but are always very wary of me, even at such a young age they are aware, due to my appearance, that I am very much  "a stranger" and they tend to keep their distance, 

Are they racist, in my opinion of course not, but then again ,they are in a way judging me by my colour.

If I was black and a video of their reaction to me was ever to find its way onto the internet, It would not take long before some blue haired woke westerner's outraged sensitivities ,would have them screaming for these racist kids and their racist parents, to be sent on the next available diversity training course

Thailand isn't inherently racist and neither are Thai people,  They are patriotic and xenophobic to a degree, I don't have any issues with either and neither should anybody else.

I now await the predictable outraged responses from the usual woke suspects

• Haha 1

15 minutes ago, Bday Prang said:

And less "woke" thankfully

I dunno.

I think the woke people have never truly travelled or experienced the world.

They come across as painfully naive.

I'd prescribe them with a few years of living in Asia to cure their wokeness.

• Thanks 2

tomorrow on the news... birthday surprise for black teacher turns into surprised visit by IMO finding her overstaying and no working permit  555

sarcasm and joke intended

Edited by Mavideol

one of the students allegedly wrote this "message to the world"

“From the drama of one Thai student behaving badly towards a foreign teacher, some people may think that Thai people or Thai children are racist and have bad habits. We want to tell everyone that everyone has different habits. Not all Thai students have that behaviour. My friends and I all like foreign teachers, regardless of their nationalities.

“It is good and fun to learn with foreign teachers even though almost 90% of classmates cannot communicate in English very well, but teachers try to use body language or sign language to make us understand what the teacher is saying.”

That was not written by any of her students!    

6 hours ago, JayClay said:

Oh 4FS... Why does everything that ever happens here have to be seen in the context of how it affects the image of Thai people.

I've never seen media from any other country that is so fragile about how they appear to outsiders.

And this public holding of a birthday party to try and proove the contraray to the rest of the world (most of who don't even know where Thailand is, never mind have an option on the people of the country) is just as creepy, if not more so. It actually suggests that they really don't understand the problem at all.

Most of the world does not read or subscribe to a small English language forum in a Thai newspaper.

3 hours ago, Bday Prang said:

How many white teachers are "disrespected" by Thai students on a daily basis? plenty,

Oh gawd. Playing the race card. Poor you.

Harden up mate.

Anyway, Thais are not particulary racist against black people.

I am from Australia, and the way the Brits treated the blacks. Massacared them, poisoned the water etc. had a white Australia policy etc etc.

Nothing like than in Thailand.

Beautiful people the Thais.

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Goat said:

Oh gawd. Playing the race card. Poor you.

Harden up mate.

Anyway, Thais are not particulary racist against black people.

I am from Australia, and the way the Brits treated the blacks. Massacared them, poisoned the water etc. had a white Australia policy etc etc.

Nothing like than in Thailand.

Beautiful people the Thais.

No i'm not playing any card, I was adding a bit of "balance" to the underlying issue of racism and the eternal search for victims which only ever includes non whites, maintaining the narrative that its always one way. that we are all living in a world run along the lines of how south africa is reported to have been run all those years ago. 

As you said whites have indeed committed atrocities, and so have pretty much every race over the thousands of years that humans have been on the planet  

Incidents of unpleasantness against white teachers occur far more frequently due if nothing else to the fact that there are more white teachers, 

If and when kids step out of line then they get disciplined ( or should do ) and that would be the end of the matter, I have never heard of Thai kids baking a cake for a white teacher  in response to another white teacher, who they never even knew, being "abused" hundreds of miles away

Its not the Thai way and that "letter to the world was not written by a Thai

The Thais lovely people? well mostly yes   Racist? not really,  more like naturally  xenophobic, they certainly don't distinguish between black and white, when it comes to foreigners, we are all the same,  and that makes me think there is something a bit weird about this whole story

1 hour ago, Bday Prang said:

I was adding a bit of "balance" to the underlying issue of racism and the eternal search for victims which only ever includes non whites,

So you feel the whites are not getting enough sympathy? As I said. Harden up mate.

Nice of the nice Thai kids to bake a cake for the teacher they love so she feels welcome.

Nothing wrong with that at all. Very nice story no matter how you want to re angle it.

Lovely people the Thais.

23 hours ago, snoop1130 said:

To restore the reputation of Thai pupils, a student from another school shared a video of a birthday surprise on her TikTok account, how_to_yada, yesterday, July 19. The video showed students singing Happy Birthday to their foreign teacher and offering three small cakes with flickering candles.

I would never eat something given to me by strangers ........ you don't know what they might have added.