5 things you hate most about Thailand

bignok

1 hour ago, bignok said:

He is right though.

Wrong. What is stupid is that foreigners come here and lose their mental composure and complain about things and situations that they themselves put themselves in. Now that is really something, isn’t it?

• Like 1

3 hours ago, NoshowJones said:

I have lived here for years and still say that most Thais are stupid. Have made attempts to learn the language but put off because of the stupid tones.

If the Thai language was normal like the French, Spanish etc, I would be proficient in it by now.

How do you mean “stupid tones?” Most people in the world speak tonal languages,and the fact that you and I struggle is our shortcoming, not theirs. Thai people seem to cope with English ok.

Edited by StreetCowboy
  • Like 1
  • Confused 3

9 minutes ago, StreetCowboy said:

How do you mean “stupid tones?” Most people in the world speak tonal languages,and the fact that you and I struggle is our shortcoming, not theirs. Thai people seem to cope with English ok.

Especially English speaking people. Mostly monolingual. It's surprising how many Thais do speak English well. I was at the gym tonight and chatted with a trainer who isn't my regular trainer. I'd only spoken to him a couple of times in Thai but it turns out he had lived and studied in the US and was mostly fluent. He never told me that himself, my trainer (who can't speak much English) did.

41 minutes ago, novacova said:

Wrong. What is stupid is that foreigners come here and lose their mental composure and complain about things and situations that they themselves put themselves in. Now that is really something, isn’t it?

No.

3 hours ago, OneMoreFarang said:

Bad driving, and it seems it gets worse.

Especially when I see motorcycle riders who play with their smart phones in the middle of the traffic.

I guess one reason the phones have this name is because they are certainly smarter than many of their users.

Another problematic issue are all those incompetent people, especially craftsmen, who know little, are not interested to improve their skills, and don't care. And obviously they are upset if anybody dares to tell them about this situation.

How much I am irritated by things depends very much on my mood. Sometimes it is just amusing, but sometimes I really hate it. 

You are one of the more sensible posters on this forum, maybe you will understand me, yes I said that most Thais are stupid.

I will repeat what I have said many times on this forum, The majority of Thai people are decent, honest and non confrontational, but most of these people are the same ones responsible for the dreadful loss of life on Thai roads.

I cannot go for a ride on my bike without people coming out of side roads without looking, many driving and riding on the wrong side of the road, same applies when I'm on my motorbike.

Maybe I was a bit strong in using the word stupid, but what I have said is true, and I make no apologies.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

8 minutes ago, NoshowJones said:

The majority of Thai people are decent, honest and non confrontational, but most of these people are the same ones responsible for the dreadful loss of life on Thai roads.

Mostly lower class people crashing. Poor, uneducated, reckless.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, bignok said:

Mostly lower class people crashing. Poor, uneducated, reckless.

I did not mention anything about class or education. I would bet that some of these people responsible for the dreadful road fatalities would probably have university degree's.

15 hours ago, Stocky said:

1) Moaning expats

2) Whinging foreigners

3) Luton bedsit Thai bashers

4) Endless whiners

5) Folks who can never see a positive  

Are you having a whinge and a moan?

Edited by 2baht
  • Haha 2

Hate is WAY too strong a word. Annoyed, most certainly, and I've shared this repeatedly ad nauseum - and here it is again (Reader's Digest abbreviated edition). I got sick of all the annoyances, moved to Mexico vowing never to come back, and six weeks later was back in LOS with a renewed appreciation.

Try it - move somewhere else with similar attributes (though THAT will be difficult to find!) and see if you are happier there than here.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Kwasaki said:

I agree except what I saw was the Thai army taking over from the corrupt Thai police which was the other way around when Thai govs were in control.

And despite all the rhetoric to the contrary, the army turned out to be less capable and more corrupt.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

13 hours ago, alien365 said:

Do you find it gets/feels worse with age? (I assume you have been here a while. I apologise if that's not the case) For me, I feel it's warm every day; I don't really notice the difference between 30, 35, or 40°C though. 

I do. I love 30. No problem at all. 35? Hot. 40? Ridiculous. I have really good inverter AC units, and they get alot of use! I don't care about the electric bill. It is so worth it. 

Edited by spidermike007
  • Like 2

18 hours ago, bignok said:

Whats your top 5?

Mosquitoes

Fire ants

Soi dogs

Chinese manufactured goods, (aka inferior quality goods), flooding Thailand.

Foreigners who continually slag off Thai women

People who don't know how to write the shortened version of 'What is', (What's)

• Confused 2

13 hours ago, bignok said:

Good one. Funny isnt it.

Thais have very little in the way of linguistic skills. I have traveled all over Latin America, including Cuba many times, and can converse easily with the locals. Frankly, there is nothing about the Thai language I like. Nothing. Spanish sounds like music or poetry to me in comparison. And using the same alphabet is immensely easier, in addition to not having to deal with the ridiculous tones. And the people of Latin America are linguistically creative and can dance around a poorly pronounced or spoken sentence and figure it out. Nobody in Thailand can! They don't even try. 

• Thanks 2