My landlord will not complete TM30!! What do I do?

On 7/21/2023 at 5:25 PM, CANSIAM said:

Actually many landlords don't know what a foreigner needs at immigration for a longer term stay, including 90 day reporting where the TM30 comes in handy......if she's unwilling to give an ID copy, house number, rental contract...........find another place...

I would certainly move to deny her the rent, but he will probably lose his deposit.

• Thumbs Up 1

13 hours ago, FritsSikkink said:

Company lawyer takes care of 90 day report, she has the address but no proof. Rental contract on first address was in my name, current one is in my wife's name.

Using a lawyer to do a 90day report seems way over the top considering you could send the cleaning maid to immi to do the same.

HR lady at my work does mine, she has no proof of my address, if asked though I do have the TM-30 which matches the address on the rental contract that is in my name.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, LukKrueng said:

What benefit will the government have by doing this? What is the % of foreign renters in Thailand?

The benefit is money through taxes. They have other potential ways when it comes to Thais renting. Things are very lax right now. But that's not a guarantee that it will stay that way. I just offered one possibility why the landlady would want to not file the TM30. Of course she could just as well be super lazy and not care. I've seen people being allergic to filing documents before...

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Ralf001 said:

I needed them.

Sorry for that.

May depend on the IO, but the bottom of the form makes it clear that you can fill it yourself. I confirmed with IO in Thalyang, same in Huahin.

This topic is a perrenial favorite do I didn't waste a lot of words. Search old forums for confirmation.

On 7/22/2023 at 2:00 PM, Felton Jarvis said:

Farang is ALWAYS wrong under Thai law.

Perhaps true for street law, but the actual law makes no distinctions. The problem is finding an honest Thai lawyer who is willing to represent you in court. It's a slow and expensive process, but that's probably the case in most countries.

On 7/23/2023 at 11:48 AM, Caldera said:

With immigration's ongoing obsession with TM30 notifications, tenants really need to make it a habit to make this a part of the process when moving in.

Relying on an agent's assurance that this will be taken care of later on isn't a good idea; as soon as you've handed over the money you're at their mercy.

Any landlord who's willing and able to do the TM30 notification will most likely have the paperwork ready unprompted, so having to remind them is already a red flag.

I've never had a completed TM30 form after more than 17 years in Thailand. When I last moved I submitted a TM28 form (change of address - I believe these forms no longer exist) which is still stapled in my passport from 6 years ago. No one has ever asked for one. 

39 minutes ago, JensenZ said:

I've never had a completed TM30 form after more than 17 years in Thailand. When I last moved I submitted a TM28 form (change of address - I believe these forms no longer exist) which is still stapled in my passport from 6 years ago. No one has ever asked for one. 

You omitted to mention which Imm office/Province. or if you are extending in country.

19 minutes ago, JensenZ said:

Retirement Extension/Jomtien. You can't extend out of country.

You can't extend outside Thailand but you could get  new e.g. OA or O Multi and thus never have to go to Imm and thus never be asked for TM30. Surprised you have not been asked in the last few years when extending retirement, I thought Jomtien was "canal without the c" about TM30 if doing yourself.

I never did a TM30 until the clampdown a few years ago and it was only last year when they further clamped down that I was asked for hard copy (at CW) for the first time.

Since the new clampdown it is best to assume that you won't be able to do anything at Imm without a TM30 filed than to assume you won't be asked.

Edited by mokwit

3 hours ago, RocketDog said:

Sorry for that.

May depend on the IO, but the bottom of the form makes it clear that you can fill it yourself. I confirmed with IO in Thalyang, same in Huahin.

This topic is a perrenial favorite do I didn't waste a lot of words. Search old forums for confirmation.

No IO involved... I did it online, those docs were required.

10 hours ago, JensenZ said:

It is actually quite normal that Immigration does not ask for your TM-30 (or in your case for your TM-28).  Once you submitted it, and you stay on a continual series of extensions from your initial Permission to stay, without moving to a different address, your address for immigration purposes (for which you submitted the TM-30) stays the same, even when doing domestic travel or international travel with a Re-Entry permit. 

And by issuing your 90-day reports you confirm to Immigration that you are still living at the same address for which you submitted that initial TM-30 (in your case the TM-28 which has been superseded by the TM-30 at most Imm Offices).

17 hours ago, mokwit said:

You can't extend outside Thailand but you could get  new e.g. OA or O Multi and thus never have to go to Imm and thus never be asked for TM30. Surprised you have not been asked in the last few years when extending retirement, I thought Jomtien was "canal without the c" about TM30 if doing yourself.

I never did a TM30 until the clampdown a few years ago and it was only last year when they further clamped down that I was asked for hard copy (at CW) for the first time.

Since the new clampdown it is best to assume that you won't be able to do anything at Imm without a TM30 filed than to assume you won't be asked.

I did an extension this month without a TM30. I assume they accepted my TM28 which is still stapled in the back of my passport.

All I'm doing is relaying my own personal experience and not suggesting what people should or should not do.

There was already a major clampdown on TM30s more than a few years ago (probably about 4-5 years ago) - it caused quite a stir on this forum. TM30 became a household name. 

• Like 1