Best Methods for Making Peanut Butter: How Does One Make Peanut Butter in Thailand? (Where to find Best Peanuts? What are the risks, if any, from Aflatoxins, etc.? What equipment is required?

GammaGlobulin

I HATE Skippy.

Too sweet, for one, plus I don't like all the extra garbage listed on the Skippy label.

I need peanut butter that has only peanuts.

I don't need added sugar.

aa.  Where to buy the best peanuts?

I have occasionally looked in the typical places like Lotus or Tops, but they only have these tiny bags.

And, I really am unsure about the quality and what is being offered.

Of course, to make peanut butter, I don't need salted peanuts.

So what is the best kind of peanuts to use, and where to source them?

bb. I have a food processor which is a gadget that adds on to the blender that I purchased, which is the Electrolux brand.

I also have a second food processor I bought in China, but I have found that I need to add liquid to get it to puree.

What is the best machine (not too expensive) to use.

Or, can I just use the food processor that came with my Electrolux blender?

cc.  It's strange, I think, that people here don't eat peanut butter.  And, my driver, a farm girl, has never even tasted peanut butter, and does not wish to.

When I lived in Taiwan, peanut butter was huge, just because Chinese people love noodles made from sesame paste and also peanut paste.

Also, Taiwan has always been an island which grows a lot of peanuts, and they can be purchased at a fair price.

Thailand, conversely, seems to grow far less peanuts compared to Taiwan.

dd.  Some of you may never have had the opportunity to visit a peanut oil factory such as the one located on Taiwan's East Coast, which seems to do wonderfully at producing high quality peanut oil, and probably peanut paste, as well.  If you watch the video linked here, then you can see the entire process.

ee.  What are the best recipes for making peanut butter in Thailand?  Does anyone have a good HOW TO?

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, KannikaP said:

I put this up last week when Peanut Butter was being discussed.

Lotus, Makro or Big C for shelled, raw peanuts @ Bht 50 for 500gm with a splash of oil and into oven @ 120 C until golden brown. Into food processor with salt to taste until desired crunchiness. DONE! 

Thank you very much for this suggestion.

However, still, I might like to know even more if there are others who also have experience with peanut-butter making.

In fact, I am worried about the peanut source, as I have, in the past, read about the health risks of spores/etc on peanuts and aflatoxins, and cancer.

There are many articles speaking to this topic of aflatoxins, and here is just one of the many:

https://www.nationalpeanutboard.org/news/mythbusters-peanuts-and-aflatoxin.htm#:~:text=Aflatoxin is a naturally occurring,products is very low indeed.

Maybe this is actually a non-issue, and I do not know the answers.

• Confused 1

The level of aflatoxins present depends on harvesting and storage conditions, which will be more rudimentary in third world and developing countries.

Precise and accurate analysis of aflatoxins requires sophisticated test kits or laboratory analysis. Permit me to doubt raw peanuts here are labelled with their aflatoxin content.

I prefer macadamias. If I want something on my morning toast, it's Vegemite.

18 minutes ago, Lacessit said:

The level of aflatoxins present depends on harvesting and storage conditions, which will be more rudimentary in third world and developing countries.

Yes. I am sure that you are correct that this issue might potentially be a concern. And, this happens to be the principal reason why I have been reluctant to try my hand at peanut paste making.  Perhaps there are imported peanuts from the USA available here?  So far, I have not done much investigating of this possible solution.

By the way, here is an even better peanut butter/peanut oil manufacturing video, also out of Taiwan (East Coast)...

This channel does great work producing these videos, IMHO.

I am definitely going to start making peanut butter here in Thailand.

If I make a large batch, I assume that I can freeze it for later use....right?

Also, I suggest using peanut oil for cooking.

It has a higher smoke point than some cooking oils.

And, the flavor is great for cooking Chinese food.

Enjoy the video...!

13 minutes ago, GammaGlobulin said:

Yes. I am sure that you are correct that this issue might potentially be a concern. And, this happens to be the principal reason why I have been reluctant to try my hand at peanut paste making.  Perhaps there are imported peanuts from the USA available here?  So far, I have not done much investigating of this possible solution.

You might try buying them from Jimmy Carter.

• Haha 1

16 minutes ago, Lacessit said:

You might try buying them from Jimmy Carter.

I had the same idea, actually.

Lieutenant James Earl Carter Jr., USN was an "executive officer, engineering officer, and electronics repair officer on the submarine SSK-1. When Admiral Hyman G. Rickover (then a captain) started his program to create nuclear-powered submarines, Carter wanted to join the program and was interviewed and selected by Rickover. Carter was promoted to lieutenant and from 3 November 1952 to 1 March 1953, he served on temporary duty with the Naval Reactors Branch, U.S. Atomic Energy Commission, Washington, D.C., to assist "in the design and development of nuclear propulsion plants for naval vessels." (https://www.history.navy.mil/browse-by-topic/people/presidents/carter.html)

When his father died, Carter gave up his dreams of being a seaman and returned to Georgia where he used his scientific bent to grow high quality, aflatoxin-free peanuts.

Taiwan, as I mentioned, back in the day, relied heavily on peanut cultivation.

These days, I am not sure which are better, Georgian peanuts or Taiwanese peanuts.

Edited by GammaGlobulin
  • Like 1

OP, I think you are a lucky guy. Nothing more easy than to buy unsalted peanuts. Available in nearly every supermarket.

For blending/mixing it depends on the amount. I would make small batches and for this a small kitchen machine called a "Moulinette" is both cheap and powerful. But only for small quantitiies

If it comes to some serious blending/mixing and you would like to make it your hobby then go for a brand called "Blendtech". But they are very expensive. About 10 times more than the Moulinette.

1 hour ago, GammaGlobulin said:

cc.  It's strange, I think, that people here don't eat peanut butter.  And, my driver, a farm girl, has never even tasted peanut butter, and does not wish to.

I have never eaten Peanut Butter as well in my life, nor do I ever wish to. And I am an European.

1 hour ago, Lacessit said:

I prefer macadamias. If I want something on my morning toast, it's Vegemite.

Macadamias are fine, but what applies to Peanut Butter applies to Vegemite as well. Never eaten and I do not feel inclined to change that habit.

Peanut Oil would be perfect. Just started a professional WOK-station in our new garden for which I waited decades. But this oil is (in Thailand) crazy expensive. But last dreams during my last times.

7 minutes ago, moogradod said:

OP, I think you are a lucky guy. Nothing more easy than to buy unsalted peanuts. Available in nearly every supermarket.

For blending/mixing it depends on the amount. I would make small batches and for this a small kitchen machine called a "Moulinette" is both cheap and powerful. But only for small quantitiies

If it comes to some serious blending/mixing and you would like to make it your hobby then go for a brand called "Blendtech". But they are very expensive. About 10 times more than the Moulinette.

I have never eaten Peanut Butter as well in my life, nor do I ever wish to. And I am an European.

Macadamias are fine, but what applies to Peanut Butter applies to Vegemite as well. Never eaten and I do not feel inclined to change that habit.

Peanut Oil would be perfect. Just started a professional WOK-station in our new garden for which I waited decades. But this oil is (in Thailand) crazy expensive. But last dreams during my last times.

Peanut oil is quite expensive in Taiwan, too!

Blendtech is too expensive for me, simply because I don't do much blending work.  I would like one to be able to make papaya frappe with just the fruit and ice and maybe a bit of milk.  The cheaper blenders always break when you begin crushing ice in a very thick papaya mixture, after you throw in some large cubes of ice.  They ALWAYS seem to break too easily.

Maybe you can find some peanut oil imported from the factory seen in one of the two videos posted above in the OP.  I once lived for quite some time not far from the locale of these factories. 

8 minutes ago, moogradod said:

Most non-Australians react to Vegemite as if they have been poisoned. It's a food one has to be introduced to as an infant, definitely an acquired taste.

IIRC, Elvis Presley died from a surfeit of peanut butter and banana sandwiches.

8 minutes ago, Lacessit said:

The shelf life of peanut butter varies, depending on how long it takes the peanut oil to go rancid. And whether it is sealed, or has exposure to oxygen.

Rancidity is the result of the oil being broken down by oxidation to volatile fatty acids, which have a characteristic unpleasant taste and odor.

Commercial peanut butter has a shelf life of 6 - 12 months, when stored in a cool dry place. It would be extended by refrigeration.

Freezing peanut butter would make it very difficult to spread, and is probably unnecessary.

Coconut oil is  the most resistant to rancidity.

Concerning the 4 jars of Skippy I purchased several months ago...

For my taste, this is garbage, although I realize that others seem to love the stuff.

I ate a bit of the Skippy in the first jar, but I will never open the remaining three jars.

If I don't eat the stuff in the remaining jars, DO YOU HAVE any suggestions concerning what I can do with it???

• Sad 1

12 minutes ago, GammaGlobulin said:

Concerning the 4 jars of Skippy I purchased several months ago...

For my taste, this is garbage, although I realize that others seem to love the stuff.

I ate a bit of the Skippy in the first jar, but I will never open the remaining three jars.

If I don't eat the stuff in the remaining jars, DO YOU HAVE any suggestions concerning what I can do with it???

If it is smooth and not crunchy, you could always ask your massage lady to do an oil massage with it.

Any other suggestions might get me suspended or banned.

• Love It 1
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Lacessit said:

If it is smooth and not crunchy, you could always ask your massage lady to do an oil massage with it.

Any other suggestions might get me suspended or banned.

Maybe your other suggestion might be worth the risk, however.

Its up to you.

Use your best judgement, as always.

36 minutes ago, worgeordie said:

Don't start him off ... Ah ! too late I see

regards worgeordie

Concerning President Carter and his love of peanuts, I feel embarrassed on behalf of the American People for taking such cheap shots at Jimmy's abiding love of growing peanuts.

Carter was much more intelligent than many people realized, and Carter appreciated the abusive power of the military-industrial complex, same as Ike.

More recently in the news, it seems that NETFLIX has unfairly canceled Jimmy, which is just another cheap shot, one can only presume due to Jimmy's peanut-cultivation history.

Please refer to this authoritative article showing the EXTREME BIAS of American media, concerning a potential smear campaign directed at one of our greatest US presidents:

"Netflix Cancels ‘Jimmy Carter’s World Of Peanuts’"...

"LOS ANGELES—After a nine-season run featuring the 39th president of the United States exploring the history, manufacturing, and culture surrounding the versatile legume, Netflix announced Wednesday the cancellation of Jimmy Carter’s World Of Peanuts. “Despite our great appreciation for President Carter’s entertaining, informative celebration of all things peanut, we have made the difficult decision not to renew the series for a 10th season,” said Netflix CEO Reed Hastings, praising the long-running agri-documentary series and its host, the homespun former commander in chief who opened each episode by telling viewers to “forget everything you know about peanuts” before launching into his weekly 90-minute exploration of peanut cultivation."  (https://www.theonion.com/netflix-cancels-jimmy-carter-s-world-of-peanuts-1826268914)

I guess it is true what people say about life not being fair.

Carter, even today, remains a man of vision, in my book.

Edited by GammaGlobulin

Strangely enough, in my youth, I once believed that peanuts grew from the roots of large peanut trees.

But this seems not to be the case.

In this photo we can see Billy Carter with the president bending down and examining a peanut bush.

Billy, Jimmy's brother, once aspired to be in politics, as I recall.

A most informative photo:

image.png.d614b81af09f4a932ca9542192e72a02.png

DIY

Buy machine, buy peanuts, make peanut butter.

https://www.lazada.co.th/products/bolehdeals-i4461835791.html?spm=a2o4m.searchlist.list.8.153f6f6e07hr53

557f14c15fa6261f78e152c79598cf25.jpg_220

Pretty simple process.  Open lid, add nuts, grind.  When I biked through New Zealand, I bought camping supplies from an organic bulk foods chain store that had a self-grind peanut butter machine at every location.

Edited by NoDisplayName
  • Like 1

@GammaGlobulin

didn't read replies, I use this recipe.  Shouldn't need to add oil, but if so, slowly add 'peanut' oil, or and neutral flavored oil.  Salt to taste if wanting.

I buy roasted peanuts at Makro, 500gr / 49 baht last time.  If roasted, that's easy enough to do.   I get the shelled, peeled & roasted.  Just the nuts, and I do 250gr at a time, when gone, make another batch.

@ 5 min into vid:

Edited by KhunLA
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, NoDisplayName said:

DIY

https://www.lazada.co.th/products/bolehdeals-i4461835791.html?spm=a2o4m.searchlist.list.8.153f6f6e07hr53

Pretty simple process.  Open lid, add nuts, grind.  When I biked through New Zealand, I bought camping supplies from an organic bulk foods chain store that had a self-grind peanut butter machine at every location.

Looks good.

Probably better to find one which is not made of plastic, if possible.

1 hour ago, NoDisplayName said:

DIY

After reading your comment, I immediately purchased one machine on Lazada for deliver before Aug 3rd.

Then, on second thought, I checked Amazon and found this:

image.png.3af68bc15cfb5e4afa3b9bbf6e25f025.png

And then, I checked a few reviews on Amazon:

image.png.4db86a6ee5fc36fdeb7e9c91b37ecea1.png

image.png.9c2fdd46d2e6e9ed45f988d995db5e78.png

image.png.9a2d8f7589637469b5357007e3119aa1.png

Correct:  This thing on Lazada just looks like a toy for children playing house.

I will immediately cancel  my Lazada order... and look for the real deal on Amazon.

China makes a lot of good kitchen appliances, but this does not appear to be one.

A mill is a good addition to have in your kitchen, I think.

But, I always buy the best quality I can afford, and am seldom disappointed.

Good idea, though.

image.png.2c128b2b1c71e7012afcd90b2bbfc0f9.png

This machine would probably last me a lifetime.

If this machine is made in China, I have friends in China.

I might be able to get this machine at a deep discount, or...

Maybe request a free sample, even.

I love the fact that this machine requires no power source, and I am sure it's quiet in operation.

If this is not made in China, then I can probably find a knockoff in China of similar quality.

The color is attractive.

1 hour ago, GammaGlobulin said:

After reading your comment, I immediately purchased one machine on Lazada for deliver before Aug 3rd.

Then, on second thought, I checked Amazon and found this:

image.png.3af68bc15cfb5e4afa3b9bbf6e25f025.png

And then, I checked a few reviews on Amazon:

image.png.4db86a6ee5fc36fdeb7e9c91b37ecea1.png

image.png.9c2fdd46d2e6e9ed45f988d995db5e78.png

image.png.9a2d8f7589637469b5357007e3119aa1.png

Correct:  This thing on Lazada just looks like a toy for children playing house.

I will immediately cancel  my Lazada order... and look for the real deal on Amazon.

China makes a lot of good kitchen appliances, but this does not appear to be one.

A mill is a good addition to have in your kitchen, I think.

But, I always buy the best quality I can afford, and am seldom disappointed.

Good idea, though.

Didn't mean to give the impression I owned that particular model.  I don't own one.  That link and photo was just an example of available appliances.

17 minutes ago, NoDisplayName said:

Didn't mean to give the impression I owned that particular model.  I don't own one.  That link and photo was just an example of available appliances.

Yes, and of course I understood your meaning.

However, you were entirely correct that I DO need to buy a reliable machine.

It's either get a decent machine and make great peanut butter myself, or just do without.

I will never buy the stuff in jars sold here.

I even actually purchased some locally made peanut butter a few months ago, and it turned out to be HALF peanuts and HALF soybeans!

I have been going without peanut butter for about a decade.

I bake my own bread with a fantastic machine I purchased from China which can bake 1.5 kilogram loafs, easy as pie.

I am SURE I can find a good machine to make peanut butter from a supplier in China.

I will continue to search.

China has a ton of various kitchen equipment on offer at great prices.

Grinding machines, or mills, are used to make paste for use in preparation of various kinds of noodle dishes, like MaJiangMian, or ZhaJiangMian, etc.

Did I just write the word "loafs"?

Obviously I can bake loafs better than I can spell "loaves".

The miracle of the five Loafs and two Fishes?

Edited by GammaGlobulin