Best Methods for Making Peanut Butter: How Does One Make Peanut Butter in Thailand? (Where to find Best Peanuts? What are the risks, if any, from Aflatoxins, etc.? What equipment is required?

GammaGlobulin

35 minutes ago, GammaGlobulin said:

Yes, and of course I understood your meaning.

However, you were entirely correct that I DO need to buy a reliable machine.

It's either get a decent machine and make great peanut butter myself, or just do without.

I will never buy the stuff in jars sold here.

I even actually purchased some locally made peanut butter a few months ago, and it turned out to be HALF peanuts and HALF soybeans!

I have been going without peanut butter for about a decade.

I bake my own bread with a fantastic machine I purchased from China which can bake 1.5 kilogram loafs, easy as pie.

I am SURE I can find a good machine to make peanut butter from a supplier in China.

I will continue to search.

China has a ton of various kitchen equipment on offer at great prices.

Grinding machines, or mills, are used to make paste for use in preparation of various kinds of noodle dishes, like MaJiangMian, or ZhaJiangMian, etc.

Did I just write the word "loafs"?

Obviously I can bake loafs better than I can spell "loaves".

The miracle of the five Loafs and two Fishes?

If you want Chinese products, Lazada is your source.  There are scores of various machines available.

I just picked one at random that had a photo showing the peanuts in a hopper and the creamy goodness discharged from the bottom, for illustration only.

If cost isn't a factor, how about

https://www.lazada.co.th/products/220v-sesame-peanut-butter-peanut-butter-making-machine-nuts-butter-maker-home-commercial-i4334842517.html?spm=a2o4m.searchlist.list.4.153f6f6eTDfk1B

5ce92eae8627b1438ba2ba9ce4166e1d.jpg_220

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, NoDisplayName said:

If you want Chinese products, Lazada is your source.  There are scores of various machines available.

I just picked one at random that had a photo showing the peanuts in a hopper and the creamy goodness discharged from the bottom, for illustration only.

If cost isn't a factor, how about

https://www.lazada.co.th/products/220v-sesame-peanut-butter-peanut-butter-making-machine-nuts-butter-maker-home-commercial-i4334842517.html?spm=a2o4m.searchlist.list.4.153f6f6eTDfk1B

5ce92eae8627b1438ba2ba9ce4166e1d.jpg_220

I actually was looking through ALIBABA, and I saw this same machine.

This machine is way above my price range.

USD100 to USD120 would be OK, and I have seen a few machines in that range.

I think the pricing on ALIBABA is quite a bit lower, in fact.

3 hours ago, GammaGlobulin said:

image.png.84980b63e2be31775aeaf252549363f3.png

Although I cancelled this order a moment ago, I will find a better one to buy....

Better to pay more, in this case.

My food processor only cost 700 baht.  Philips, maybe Makro or HomePro sold it.

Makes great PB & will make bread, plus everything else it's suppose to.  Have made bread with it, but use the stand mixer now.

Food processor (you have) does the same thing.  You don't need a specific machine, and why buy one that only does 1 task?

Edited by KhunLA

7 minutes ago, KhunLA said:

My food processor only cost 700 baht.  Philips, maybe Makro or HomePro sold it.

Makes great PB & will make bread, plus everything else it's suppose to.  Have made bread with it, but use the stand mixer now.

Food processor (you have) does the same thing.  You don't need a specific machine, and why buy one that only does 1 task?

I just have the Electrolux 800 watt blender with the "food processor" attachment, and the attachment is extremely small, probably suitable for a few cloves of garlic, and that is about it.

The Chinese food processor might work, but it doesn't work great.

6 minutes ago, GammaGlobulin said:

I just have the Electrolux 800 watt blender with the "food processor" attachment, and the attachment is extremely small, probably suitable for a few cloves of garlic, and that is about it.

The Chinese food processor might work, but it doesn't work great.

Plenty of YT vids making PB w/blender

11 minutes ago, GammaGlobulin said:

This is the basic problem with either a blender or a food processor when making peanut butter.

The desired consistency is just not there....

Mine comes out pretty tasty & smooth, using the food processor.

On 7/22/2023 at 3:08 PM, Lacessit said:

The level of aflatoxins present depends on harvesting and storage conditions, which will be more rudimentary in third world and developing countries.

Precise and accurate analysis of aflatoxins requires sophisticated test kits or laboratory analysis. Permit me to doubt raw peanuts here are labelled with their aflatoxin content.

I prefer macadamias. If I want something on my morning toast, it's Vegemite.

Yay to Veggie!!!!!! ???????????????? 

But a usage warning to those who don't understand its potent flavour:

1. Hot, and well buttered toast brioche etc
  2. light scraping on toast.
  3. DO NOT layer it thick like other spreads.
  4. Gobble it down and enjoy.

P.S. It makes a good additive in soups and cooking for a deeper beefy taste. But watch the amounts of any other salty or salty ingredients you might add.

On 7/22/2023 at 4:05 PM, GammaGlobulin said:

I had the same idea, actually.

Lieutenant James Earl Carter Jr., USN was an "executive officer, engineering officer, and electronics repair officer on the submarine SSK-1. When Admiral Hyman G. Rickover (then a captain) started his program to create nuclear-powered submarines, Carter wanted to join the program and was interviewed and selected by Rickover. Carter was promoted to lieutenant and from 3 November 1952 to 1 March 1953, he served on temporary duty with the Naval Reactors Branch, U.S. Atomic Energy Commission, Washington, D.C., to assist "in the design and development of nuclear propulsion plants for naval vessels." (https://www.history.navy.mil/browse-by-topic/people/presidents/carter.html)

When his father died, Carter gave up his dreams of being a seaman and returned to Georgia where he used his scientific bent to grow high quality, aflatoxin-free peanuts.

Taiwan, as I mentioned, back in the day, relied heavily on peanut cultivation.

These days, I am not sure which are better, Georgian peanuts or Taiwanese peanuts.

We grow delicious organic peanuts in Aussie ???? ... and the best Macadamia nuts around.

Just now, Tropposurfer said:

We grow delicious organic peanuts in Aussie ???? ... and the best Macadamia nuts around.

President Carter what a good and decent man. There is one bloke who walked his faith quietly and with loving effect. Too good a man for the ugliness and deceit of politics.

• Thumbs Up 1

On 7/23/2023 at 2:24 AM, GammaGlobulin said:

I actually was looking through ALIBABA, and I saw this same machine.

This machine is way above my price range.

USD100 to USD120 would be OK, and I have seen a few machines in that range.

I think the pricing on ALIBABA is quite a bit lower, in fact.

Live a little. This is the Rolls-Royce of kitchen appliances.

https://thermomix.com.au/products/thermomix-tm6

On 7/22/2023 at 11:39 AM, KannikaP said:

I put this up last week when Peanut Butter was being discussed.

Lotus, Makro or Big C for shelled, raw peanuts @ Bht 50 for 500gm with a splash of oil and into oven @ 120 C until golden brown. Into food processor with salt to taste until desired crunchiness. DONE! 

Did exactly that last night for the first time, Best peanut butter I ever had. 

I had to refrigerate it overnight to get the right consistency.

You are right products destined for Thailand are made different than the identical US brand .

A few months ago I saw Bunts Pizza sauce for sale at Macro. and being to lazy to make my own sauce I bought a can. After making the Pizza it tasted sweet, and I was baffled. I only put a smali pinch of sugar in my yeast proof to wake up the yeast, Did I put too much? I was confused. and then I tasted the Hunts Pizza Sauce. It was loaded with sugar!!

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

I tried a blender. It worked for small quantities. 
I tried by hand with mortar and pestle. I was way too much work.

My suggestion, like others have said: get a peanut butter machine. Easy to find on Lazada/ Shopee. 

• Sad 1

48 minutes ago, CecilM said:

I tried a blender. It worked for small quantities. 
I tried by hand with mortar and pestle. I was way too much work.

My suggestion, like others have said: get a peanut butter machine. Easy to find on Lazada/ Shopee. 

Thanks.  Just ordered 1kg unsweetened PB from Lazada  for around 280 baht.  I'm guessing more time/moneys/bothers worth to make my own

Edited by TimeMachine

16 minutes ago, TimeMachine said:

Thanks.  Just ordered 1kg unsweetened PB from Lazada  for around 280 baht.  I'm guessing more time/moneys/bothers worth to make my own

Wow, that is a good price. Wonder why I never thought about actually buying peanut butter from Lazada.

You’re right. Some items are not worth the effort to DIY (ketchup is another one). We make jam, cold cuts (like a bologna), paté (French-Canadian version), and pickles. 

On 7/22/2023 at 1:17 PM, moogradod said:

Peanut Oil would be perfect. Just started a professional WOK-station in our new garden for which I waited decades. But this oil is (in Thailand) crazy expensive. But last dreams during my last times.

No it’s not. The price of a good peanut oil is 160 baht per liter in bangkoks Chinatown market. We buy it and use it all the time. If you want a link to the market, let me know and I’ll gladly send a link to you. As you’ve just set up a wok station, sounds like you like to cook Chinese food, me too. We also have a wok station outside in the back of our house which I use daily. I love to cook uk style Chinese food and actually worked and trained with friends in their restaurants and takeaways in the uk for a few years.

• Like 1

Also, for those who either don't want to take the time or don't want to buy a food processor....

Tops Online for sometime now has been offering jars of Cole's organic natural peanut butter from Australia, either smooth or crunchy varieties, for typically 129 to 149 baht per 375g jar.

https://www.tops.co.th/en/coles-organic-smooth-peanut-butter-375g-9310645099835

According to the labels, 100% organic peanuts with no other added ingredients.

Screenshot_1.jpg.725347aa07671b6d6268f53b99b2dc42.jpg

Their peanut butter is good, and the price when on sale for 129 baht per jar is a bargain for an organic, imported peanut butter product.

https://www.coles.com.au/product/coles-organic-smooth-peanut-butter-375g-2080124

1 hour ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

I've been making homemade peanut butter from scratch for years using electric food processors.

After my U.S. sourced processor finally died after many years, I ended up buying a combo blender / food processor unit made by Tefal from Lazada.... Price was about 4,300b.

Tefal เครื่องเตรียมอาหาร DOUBLEFORCE MULTIFUNCTION FOOD PROCESSOR รุ่น DO821838

https://www.lazada.co.th/products/i2291063941-s7700149663.html

Works just fine for grinding roasted peanuts to make peanut butter. I don't use any additives in my PB (no salt and no oil), and the consistency comes out thick and just to my liking... My PB spreads easily, but doesn't drip or run.

I went the inexpensive (cheap A$$) route, a Philips, all of 700 baht, and mainly for veggies, salsa & such.   Which I don't use for ????

Does make excellent PB, as thick or thin as you prefer.   Also don't add anything, and use roasted peanuts from Makro.  500gr/50 baht, and make 250gr batches at a time, when needed.

Since having a stand mixer & blender already, hence the inexpensive model.   Although, if planning on making bread, get something stronger.   I've made bread in the processor, but stand mixer is stronger and easier clean up.

• Thumbs Up 1

On 7/26/2023 at 1:08 PM, Falcon said:

No it’s not. The price of a good peanut oil is 160 baht per liter in bangkoks Chinatown market. We buy it and use it all the time. If you want a link to the market, let me know and I’ll gladly send a link to you. As you’ve just set up a wok station, sounds like you like to cook Chinese food, me too. We also have a wok station outside in the back of our house which I use daily. I love to cook uk style Chinese food and actually worked and trained with friends in their restaurants and takeaways in the uk for a few years.

Yes, I like to cook chinese food, but for decades I did not have the possibility to use a high performance Wok burner. Now that we have a house I have ordered a 168'000 BTU burner and other professional equipment from China. Besides I am studying cooking techniques on YouTube. Other things (no wok necessary) I cook are for example Hot and Sour Soup - I have a heavenly although complicated receipe and dumplings. From time to time we go out and have a Peking Duck (unfortunately only in Bangkok). And I like Sweet and Sour pork. You see, not the "Specialitites" they sell on the streets of China.

I used to live for a long time in Switzerland, and over there, Peanut Oil is quite ordinary and not especially expensive. So of course I am interested in the oil you know for what I have seen so far exceeds the 400 THB mark. More than the best Olive Oil (at least the one they have here).

Please send me the location where it can be obtained, but even more important - could you not take a photo of the bottle that I can look for it around Pattaya ?. We live in Chonburi.

Thank you very much and Happy Cooking.