Thailand’s household-debt storm taking deadly toll on guarantors

webfact

5 hours ago, ThailandRyan said:

The guarantor route is the way many Thais go in order to buy a new car and do not have the money to show they qualify.  A friends wife had to do the as the friend would not pay for the car outright and a loan from Krungsri Auto was needed.  The local School director, the friend of the woman's father signed as the guarantor.  The FIL could not sign as he had two cars and a tractor on loan payments.  Of course my friend made the monthly payments so no issues, but just think of those who are not so lucky to have a foreign payment maker in the house.  You may ask, why did not the foreign husband sig as the guarantor and the answer was he is a retiree on a retirement extension of stay and has no WP so the bank would not loan the money for the car with him as the guarantor.

Those who take the loan default and the guarantor is on the hook and as you can see the stress is too much.  

If you can not qualify for aa loan then the banks really should not be making the loans.

its all in your last sentence. 

6 hours ago, ThailandRyan said:

The guarantor route is the way many Thais go in order to buy a new car and do not have the money to show they qualify.  A friends wife had to do the as the friend would not pay for the car outright and a loan from Krungsri Auto was needed.  The local School director, the friend of the woman's father signed as the guarantor.  The FIL could not sign as he had two cars and a tractor on loan payments.  Of course my friend made the monthly payments so no issues, but just think of those who are not so lucky to have a foreign payment maker in the house.  You may ask, why did not the foreign husband sig as the guarantor and the answer was he is a retiree on a retirement extension of stay and has no WP so the bank would not loan the money for the car with him as the guarantor.

Those who take the loan default and the guarantor is on the hook and as you can see the stress is too much.  

If you can not qualify for aa loan then the banks really should not be making the loans.

On the surface of it, I’d totally agree

but..

given that (as I’ve read online) retail consumer spending accounts for around half plus of the total GDP figure, I don’t know that the economy itself can afford to take a more conservative or tight monetary policy for a sustained period -let alone the banks who ultimately finance a large chunk of that spend.

Sure, ballooning NPLs and the losses that banks and various lenders end up taking isn’t good for the larger credit lending space… but I don’t really see an alternative… Yes, banks could tighten up their underwriting criteria… but again, doing so would also negatively impact consumer spend.. so perhaps increased NPLs is just the “cost” that must be paid to keep the consumer spending, which for TH really is the lynchpin of the economy. 

What Id like to see is more consumer education. I’d bet that a fair number of these guarantors didn’t really KNOW how “on-the-hook” they really could be.. yes, they know what guarantor means.. but I think sometimes having it out front-and-center.. that as guarantor, YOU could loose your house, that the banks and the courts could come after YOU and YOUR assets.. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, geisha said:

A very good friend of mine in France asked me for a loan of 5000 € to pay for his daughters piano conservatoire .( true). He sent me 100€ once . I kept asking him , with a yes soon answer. Never again. I really never thought that would happen.  When I first went to Phuket  in the early 80s, a very good Thai friend warned me never to lend money to anyone at all !! 
I agree with a comment above that Covid bankrupted many people, last year I returned to Phuket to see my many friends, the greeting at the airport with everyone in hazmat suits, the multiple rules , regulations and closures were enough to put everyone off coming to Thailand forever. The lines of hungry people sitting in a queue on the pavements was heart breaking. I saw a few shop owners I knew timidly begging . This was the work of Prayut and company., Those people are in debt for life.

This was nothing to do with the government. It was the lack of a comprehensive social welfare program. Thailand is still a developing country.

• Confused 1

It all seems to be an ongoing hook to hang the poor and (deliberately) under-educated peasants on. Thailand is the only country I've heard about where banks will lend you the money to buy a house as long as you first lodge the equivalent amount of money with them. Then they will use it to buy the house, charge you interest on the loan, and then allow you to pay in monthly instalments.

And before I get hammered - I know that's simplified and not (quite) accurate - but, in essence, it's what it amounts to . . . unless you can find a farang to act as guarantor . . . but, fortunately, I've never had much luck with that.

Just now, Olav Seglem said:

Stupid people.

Never guarantee.

Thats the issue with guarantee, the bank (or other) can go to this person if the other dont pay.

Its elementary ......

It's not like this problem doesn't happen in every country.

• Like 2

13 hours ago, ThailandRyan said:

And that is the definition of predatory lending. 

• Like 2

18 hours ago, HappyExpat57 said:

I'm curious as to how bad a threat is it for someone to off themselves. I mean, even having your kneecaps broken would be better than suicide.

Yes agreed. As a guarantor is the debt secured against your property? If the guarantor doesn't pay up what can the company do? Any Court action would be better than death.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Pumpuynarak said:

Don't ever guarantor anyone unless they or you are on a guaranteed affordable income (pension springs to mind) but i know thats easily said the reality is very different. I was asked by our bank to guarantor wifey's house purchase, no problem my pension easily covered the monthly repayments. Wifey had no income to meet the repayments, go figure lol

Presumably the bank couldn't lend you the money directly so they allow you as guarantor to get round the rules knowing you would be posting the loan anyway. 

Your first point is absolutely right. 

• Thumbs Up 1

On 7/24/2023 at 10:00 PM, ThailandRyan said:

Ask and thou shall receive, unless you ask me…

1 hour ago, kimamey said:

Presumably the bank couldn't lend you the money directly so they allow you as guarantor to get round the rules knowing you would be posting the loan anyway. 

Your first point is absolutely right. 

Yep i had to show them proof of my income by way of my private pension payslips.

• Thumbs Up 1

Even with the work permit and marriage visa and an 80,000 baht income monthly.  My wife could not use me to guarantee out house loan or car loan. Their rules regarding foreigner share the same attitude most Thais share being that we are not Thai. If it happened in a 1st world country the bank would be sued for very large amounts. No matter what a foreigner does here. Marries Thai and makes family and their lives here. We foreigners will always be treated as a stranger. 

On 7/25/2023 at 11:00 AM, ThailandRyan said:

• Confused 1
  • Thanks 1