Any mycologists out there?

3STTW

We have a lawn in the back yard and we've always had a few puff-ball mushrooms pop up when the rains start. The wife is allergic to them so she always destroys them before they spore.

We've had a couple this year but now we've got these little doodahs popping up everywhere.

Any ideas what they are and if they're poisonous?

IMG_2968.jpg

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, save the frogs said:

those are magic mushrooms.

ingest and then you will have hallucinations about aseannow forum members

No they are poison. Magic ones are grey. Dont eat yellow ones you might die.

• Thanks 2

Could be from the genus Cortinarius (webcaps) if the gills are brown to reddish brown. Contains a few deadly species and no good edibles (in Europe at least). 

It is not realistic to diagnose mushrooms on the basis of only a pic of the caps. The smell is also diagnostic. Plus, the taste (a bit is placed on the tip of the tongue, then spat out!) provided notoriously deadly species have been ruled out.

Edited by JackGats
  • Thumbs Up 2

Couple of things, firstly, I have no interest in eating them - either for food or 'medicinal' purposes.

I am interested in having a mycelium under my lawn because it makes the couch grass grow strong and healthy without chucking chemicals at it. All the same, we do have family & friends with kids and pets who visit and I'd prefer to keep them safe.

18 hours ago, 3STTW said:

Any ideas what they are and if they're poisonous?

I don't know about these, but did some P. Samui a couple years ago when I was in Chinatown and they started coming on real strong and I had an anxiety attack so I called an Uber and went to Hippy Hill and listened to the homeless bum drum circle and just layed on my back in the grass with my eyes closed and then I opened them and noticed some tourists were scared of me. ????

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, SiSePuede419 said:

I don't know about these, but did some P. Samui a couple years ago when I was in Chinatown and they started coming on real strong and I had an anxiety attack so I called an Uber and went to Hippy Hill and listened to the homeless bum drum circle and just layed on my back in the grass with my eyes closed and then I opened them and noticed some tourists were scared of me. ????

Hot nothing to do with mushrooms have you not noticed. You are one scary person.????

22 hours ago, save the frogs said:

those are magic mushrooms.

ingest and then you will have hallucinations about aseannow forum members

I have hallucinations about forum members without ingesting anything.

There are orange mushrooms with orange gills that are not poisonous. After boiling in water, they smell and taste like freshly baked bread. They are most commonly found under pine trees.

Given the location of the fungi, more likely to be poisonous.

fungi.webp

• Haha 1