Why IS It That Super-Smart People, Almost INVARIABLY, Turn Out to Be Atheists? Hear it HERE…Straight from the Horse’s Mouth!

18 minutes ago, GammaGlobulin said:

"Fellows of the Royal Society of London were invited to participate in a survey of attitudes toward religion. They were asked about their beliefs in a personal God, the existence of a supernatural entity, consciousness surviving death, and whether religion and science occupy non-overlapping magisteria (NOMA). Overwhelmingly the majority of Fellows affirmed strong opposition to the belief in a personal god, to the existence of a supernatural entity and to survival of death. On 'NOMA’, the majority of Fellows indicated neither a strong disagreement nor strong agreement. We also found that while (surprisingly) childhood religious upbringing and age were not significantly related to current attitudes toward religion, scientific discipline played a small but significant influence: biological scientists are even less likely to be religious than physical scientists and were more likely to perceive conflict between science and religion."

image.png.706213118b29768a78d79002a9b227b4.png

All the above is taken from:  https://evolution-outreach.biomedcentral.com/articles/10.1186/1936-6434-6-33#:~:text=Interestingly%2C this difference is far,in God or higher power.

Scientists are just human beings and nothing special. I've met enough of them to know that.

Your charts are meaningless gibberish to anyone that has faith.

• Confused 1

2 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Scientists are just human beings and nothing special. I've met enough of them to know that.

Your charts are meaningless gibberish to anyone that has faith.

Where???

Someplace down south, maybe?

• Like 1
  • Love It 1

1 minute ago, GammaGlobulin said:

It is my opinion that any scientist who truly believes there is a god is ipso facto NOT a scientist, but something else.

And that, furthermore, that "something else" is a stain upon the very name of Science!

Your personal opinion is duly noted. I don't need a personal opinion on this because the list of famous scientists who were Christians is long and many were responsible for ground breaking scientific discoveries. In fact if you scrubbed some names off the list, we probably wouldn't be sitting in our homes using computers.

• Like 1
  • Confused 2
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, GammaGlobulin said:

Feynman was not only a great theoretical physicist, but he was also a glorious human, too, one who knew how to teach like no other.

Here's a question for you? From where did he derive his "glory"?

Was he a freak of nature, or was his intelligence "designed" by the architect of the universe.

Also, in nature, are humans more important than an ant?

If scientists are such great people, why do so many use their intellect to create the ways to kill other people in their millions? Why do scientists design bioweapons that can only be used to bring death to masses of other people?

Scientists? Purveyors of death more like.

Want evidence of God? Plenty of evidence of the devil at work on this planet, and in nature there is always ying and yang - ergo, if the devil exists, IMO God must also exist.

• Confused 1
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Lacessit said:

I do not have the arrogance to assert the presence or absence of a supreme being. I am an agnostic, which means I simply don't know.

I do know I regard all forms of organized religion as anathema, due to the evils they have visited and continue to visit on the world.

I gave that a thumbs up.

• Haha 1

8 minutes ago, JensenZ said:

Your personal opinion is duly noted. I don't need a personal opinion on this because the list of famous scientists who were Christians is long and many were responsible for ground breaking scientific discoveries. In fact if you scrubbed some names off the list, we probably wouldn't be sitting in our homes using computers.

Just curious - can you name some famous scientists who were or are Muslims? It does seem rather strange God should be so selective of the Christian faith.

1 minute ago, Lacessit said:

I do not have the arrogance to assert the presence or absence of a supreme being. I am an agnostic, which means I simply don't know.

I do know I regard all forms of organized religion as anathema, due to the evils they have visited and continue to visit on the world.

Well, Einstein considered himself Agnostic, meaning, as you explained, he didn't know, but was rather annoyed when people labelled him incorrectly as atheist...

However, the OP has been rather antagnostic to non-atheists, and that is the problem. He is suggesting that smart people cannot be religious, and taking it further, that only smart people are atheists.

Apart from that, he is making false statements and suggesting they are fact. When proven wrong, he ignores the evidence.

• Thumbs Up 1

4 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Here's a question for you? From where did he derive his "glory"?

Was he a freak of nature, or was his intelligence "designed" by the architect of the universe.

Also, in nature, are humans more important than an ant?

If scientists are such great people, why do so many use their intellect to create the ways to kill other people in their millions? Why do scientists design bioweapons that can only be used to bring death to masses of other people?

Scientists? Purveyors of death more like.

Want evidence of God? Plenty of evidence of the devil at work on this planet, and in nature there is always ying and yang - ergo, if the devil exists, IMO God must also exist.

Do you admit that Entropy exists?

If so, then science tells us that NOTHING can be eternal....

And, although it's off-topic... I do NOT believe in evil as you seem to use the term.

• Like 1
  • Love It 1

9 minutes ago, Lacessit said:

Well, PLEASE do not tell me that you are agnostic about the TEAPOT, too!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Russell's_teapot

• Love It 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

28 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Super-Smart People, Almost INVARIABLY, Turn Out to Be Atheists?

Garbage.

IMO an actually smart person would admit that no one can actually know that for sure, and be open for evidence one way or the other.

Such evidence has not yet been found.

And somewhere is any discussion on this is the fact that other 'religions' exist, with enormous numbers of followers, which also believe in a god, a different god.

This OLD DEBATE about there being any SIGNIFICANT difference between an agnostic and an atheist is already just pointless.

As everybody knows, there is still great stigma attached the word "atheist", and therefore it is just a matter of convenience for some to admit to being an agnostic when, actually, they DO NOT BELIEVE in a god, or gods...

But of course, we know their true position.

• Love It 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

2 minutes ago, GammaGlobulin said:

Do you admit that Entropy exists?

If so, then science tells us that NOTHING can be eternal....

And, although it's off-topic... I do NOT believe in evil as you seem to use the term.

Nothing physical in this universe lasts forever, but if God is not a physical being, why would God be bound by such limits?

Surely you don't think that people of faith actually think God is an old man sitting a throne in space?

How do you know that this universe is the only one that ever existed, or will exist? This universe could be the billionth to the power of a billion that has existed so far.

If God is outside physical laws, as God would have to be to create the universe, God is also outside time.

IMO the greatest arrogance of some humans is that they think they know everything, when they know very little.

If you don't believe in evil, then what was Dachau? A holiday camp perhaps?

What were Hitler, Stalin and Mao? Between them they murdered rather a lot of people, or was that just a triviality in the great game?

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, GammaGlobulin said:

This OLD DEBATE about there being any SIGNIFICANT difference between an agnostic and an atheist is already just pointless.

As everybody knows, there is still great stigma attached the word "atheist", and therefore it is just a matter of convenience for some to admit to being an agnostic when, actually, they DO NOT BELIEVE in a god, or gods...

But of course, we know their true position.

Digging and holes comes to mind.

• Confused 1

10 minutes ago, GammaGlobulin said:

Well, I guess most guys on this forum are old enough to clearly recall this great article published in the journal, Nature, in 1998:

image.png.1ab576b2993c5370a6140d1ab4ac6c66.png

image.png.2a6d506a268b2952ada184ceafa4a586.png

"Sir

The question of religious belief among US scientists has been debated since early in the century. Our latest survey finds that, among the top natural scientists, disbelief is greater than ever — almost total."

You can find all the above in the Nature article here: https://www.nature.com/articles/28478

And, My Fellows... This article is 25 years OLD!  Obviously, the trends are going in just one direction, as you can plainly see. These days, among scientists, it's about 99% agnostic/atheist, if I am not mistaken. I will post the corroborating newer article as soon as I find it.

I don't suppose you considered the survey dates, did you?

1914 - the start of WW1

1933 - Great depression, the rise of Hitler, Persecution of the Jews started in 1933.

Usually religion takes a back seat when the world political scene is more settled. That's when arrogant scientists start kicking religion to the curb. In fact, if you surveyed the general population, you'll likely get very similar numbers. Perhaps you could find a survey of the general population to compare results.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Nothing physical in this universe lasts forever, but if God is not a physical being, why would God be bound by such limits?

Surely you don't think that people of faith actually think God is an old man sitting a throne in space?

How do you know that this universe is the only one that ever existed, or will exist? This universe could be the billionth to the power of a billion that has existed so far.

If God is outside physical laws, as God would have to be to create the universe, God is also outside time.

IMO the greatest arrogance of some humans is that they think they know everything, when they know very little.

If you don't believe in evil, then what was Dachau? A holiday camp perhaps?

What were Hitler, Stalin and Mao? Between them they murdered rather a lot of people, or was that just a triviality in the great game?

Please clarify what you mean by "physical", because otherwise your question is impossible to address.

• Love It 1
  • Thumbs Up 1