Leaders’ Meeting in Hong Kong Sparks Speculation on Government Formation and Thaksin’s Return to Thailand

webfact

image.jpeg

News reports that Progressive Movement leader Thanathorn Juangroongruangkit and Bhumjaithai Party leader Anutin Charnvirakul met with former PM Thaksin Shinawatra in Hong Kong before Thaksin’s latest announcement of his return to Thailand on August 10 have dominated the airwaves.

Following the alleged meeting, the Pheu Thai’s meeting with coalition partners on Tuesday was canceled, and the prime minister voting that was set for Thursday has been postponed.

This has fueled speculation that a deal has been struck for the Pheu Thai Party to form a government with the Bhumjaithai Party, while the Move Forward Party (MFP) will go into the opposition for now.

Full story: https://www.thaienquirer.com/50301/leaders-meeting-in-hong-kong-sparks-speculation-on-government-formation-and-thaksins-return-to-thailand/

TE

-- © Copyright Thai Enquirer 2023-07-27

- Cigna offers a range of visa-compliant plans that meet the minimum requirement of medical treatment, including COVID-19, up to THB 3m. For more information on all expat health insurance plans click here.

• Confused 1
  • Sad 2
  • Thumbs Up 1

3 hours ago, CelticBhoy said:

But like the article states, "MFP will go into the opposition for now."

Pita will just have to cool his engines for a bit. His time will come.

This is not what the people who voted for the party wanted. They wanted them in government, decision making, not in impotent opposition. If they are not in government, will any one trust them again, vote for them again?

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

If the government really want's him back, then I'm sure Beijing could assist..if he is in HK...after all....Thailand just gifted that government Thb 400 million;)

Edited by ChrisY1

All speculation as per usual. No meeting took place. It's all just hysterical fans screaming. Call this journalism? A 5 year old could write this stuff. Probably AI. The press is fighting for headline space and clicks. They'll make anything up.

• Thumbs Up 1

3 hours ago, bannork said:

Spot on in my view. 

And what of the wannabe Pheu Thai PMs statement while on the campaign trail?

" In mid-April in Loei province, he gave a speach [sic] where he said that Pheu Thai would not form a coalition with Palang Pracharath and United Thai Nation due to their involvement in the 2014 coup.[6]"

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

12 minutes ago, bradiston said:

And what of the wannabe Pheu Thai PMs statement while on the campaign trail?

" In mid-April in Loei province, he gave a speach [sic] where he said that Pheu Thai would not form a coalition with Palang Pracharath and United Thai Nation due to their involvement in the 2014 coup.[6]"

Cholnan, the nominee leader, said he would resign if PT joined the junta parties.

One has to realise only some MPs  in PT have any democratic bones in their make-up. Thaksin bought up anybody in the past, there are many MPs and clans in PT with dodgy reputations.

In between there a few idealists such as Chaturon Chaisaeng and Nattawut, Adisorn who all claim democracy drives them and is the heart of PT.

So if we assume most of the spineless PT MPs will go along with joining their 'enemy' who deprived them of governance and killed scores of red shirts demanding an election, what will PT supporters think?

Those who only think of bread and butter issues, populist policies and handouts ( where's that 10,000 baht promised?), will probably not give a hoot whom PT team up with, ( just give us the money now!) but others will be disgusted and join MF.

One thing- Thaksin sounds old, he's 74, once he croaks, PT will disintegrate, the party has no ideology to sustain itself, especially if it joins the junta parties 

• Like 1
  • Love It 1

5 hours ago, Scott Tracy said:

This is not what the people who voted for the party wanted. They wanted them in government, decision making, not in impotent opposition. If they are not in government, will any one trust them again, vote for them again?

I doubt that "the people" would hold the manipulation which was exercised to keep Pita from forming a government, against MFP.

I'm a long-time fan of Thanatorn and reserve judgement on reports (...which I don't deny seem kind of believable...) that he's been an errand boy for MFP in the on-going Hong Kong Hustle 

seemingly played out by every party, in or out, of the 8 party coalition.

I count Anutin amongst those Thai political g*ngsters for whom I've the least favourable regard, and I can't imagine Thanatorn has any more regard for him than I, so I wonder with genuine puzzled curiousity what's happening......though at the same time I don't think I'm that naive to not be able to join the dots.

But.....and there's no implied disrespect to Thanatorn at all in this.....I'm reminded of Groucho Marx's gag, 'Those are my principles.....and if you don't like 'em, I have others'. 

Needs must. Long game. 4 years from now, MFP face off against the Jurassic ones and go landslide on their a**. Only hook I have right now to hang my hat on. ???????? 

• Thanks 1