Hip replacement and airports

HuskerDo2

I'll be getting a hip replacement next week and the other side 2 months later. I was told the titanium in the joint will set off the scanners at the airport. I know in the US it isn't a big deal as so many people have had hip replacements the airport staff can quickly identify what is setting off the scanner alarms. However, I don't know about the airports in Thailand and Philippines. Does anyone know if it'll be a big hassle getting thru the airport scanners there or does the airport staff understand about hip replacements and the associated titanium?

Thanks all!!

• Like 1
  • Sad 1
  • Haha 1

I have a K-Nail in my femur, which has never set off a security scan since it was embedded in 1983. I think it's made of stainless steel, but it is inside the femur bone, in the bone marrow cavity, so probably that is why it can go through scanners undetected.

• Confused 2

I had a hip replacement about 4 years ago but haven't a clue what it's made of,I've flown from the Uk,Holland,Bkk,CNX,DMK and SYD with no problem,for some reason I often get picked for a wand and pat down but nobody has ever asked about my hip.

3 hours ago, liddelljohn said:

UK and Eu its not an issue but the hospital will tell you not to fly  for 2 months  due to risk of thrombosis  in the healing

Thanks John. I knew about not flying for a while. Not sure why that's an issue. Sitting at home in my recliner or couch isn't any different than sitting in an airport seat. 

• Confused 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

3 hours ago, JensenZ said:

I have a K-Nail in my femur, which has never set off a security scan since it was embedded in 1983. I think it's made of stainless steel, but it is inside the femur bone, in the bone marrow cavity, so probably that is why it can go through scanners undetected.

Inside the femur is where they will place the piece of titanium and then they will attach a ceramic ball to the top of it to be inserted into the hip joint that will have some sort of strong plastic liner placed into it. I asked "why plastic?" and I was told that this type of plastic won't wear out in my lifetime so I'm happy. It's interesting that yours has never set off an alarm. Hopefully I'll be that lucky but doubt I will be.

Did you experience much swelling or pain from the surgery?

4 hours ago, kwonitoy said:

My Hospital gave me a card saying I'd had a hip replacement, it is useless, nobody cares to see it.

I flew out of  Udon Thani as my home airport, the scanners there weren't functional, they never beeped when I went through

State you have a hip replacement, made to go through scanner, scanner beeps get pulled aside for a hand scan with the wand, the wand beeps and then a hand pat down.

This is now your new normal, I used to fly a lot for work and it is something you have to get used to.

Airport screeners are on a whole poorly trained including the US 

In Australia I said I had a hip replacement, scanner beeped, wand beeped, given a hand pat down and the young man felt the rivets on my jeans and said, Oh I can feel your hip. 

I find I had less hassle in Thailand as they don't really care.

In the US it's off with the shoes, belt, wallet, tell them hip replacement, they don't care as it's usually to busy, scanner beeps, go back again, scanner beeps, wand check, wand beeps, hand pat down.

A full body scanner is no problem and the preferred way to go if possible.

"given a hand pat down and the young man felt the rivets on my jeans and said, Oh I can feel your hip.".... that's hilarious. It's hard to find good/intelligent help these days. Thanks for the chuckle.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, HuskerDo2 said:

Inside the femur is where they will place the piece of titanium and then they will attach a ceramic ball to the top of it to be inserted into the hip joint that will have some sort of strong plastic liner placed into it. I asked "why plastic?" and I was told that this type of plastic won't wear out in my lifetime so I'm happy. It's interesting that yours has never set off an alarm. Hopefully I'll be that lucky but doubt I will be.

I swell more than bruise.....I had almost no pain, but the swelling kept me in for an extra day....

They brought me a walker & I refused it & got crutches (more mobility & leverage choices)....The Dr commented my 3 week check up was what he normally saw during the 3 month follow up check up....

Airports have been no issue....

2 hours ago, pgrahmm said:

I swell more than bruise.....I had almost no pain, but the swelling kept me in for an extra day....

They brought me a walker & I refused it & got crutches (more mobility & leverage choices)....The Dr commented my 3 week check up was what he normally saw during the 3 month follow up check up....

Airports have been no issue....

Thanks. I'm expecting a speedy recovery. I have an excellent surgeon. A friend's husband used this surgeon, and he was back to work in under 2 weeks and he's a pharmacist and on his feet all day.

Was your surgery from the front, side or back? Mine is anterior (front) and that's supposed to be the quickest healing. 

2 hours ago, HuskerDo2 said:

Thanks. I'm expecting a speedy recovery. I have an excellent surgeon. A friend's husband used this surgeon, and he was back to work in under 2 weeks and he's a pharmacist and on his feet all day.

Was your surgery from the front, side or back? Mine is anterior (front) and that's supposed to be the quickest healing. 

Judging by the scar - more of a side incision....

This Dr also practices in Japan & Dubai a couple of weeks per month as well as CM....That was before Covid....But, he's definitely established himself internationally.... 

• Thumbs Up 1

7 hours ago, HuskerDo2 said:

You could say that. I had broken my tibia, femur, ulna and radius in a motorcycle accident, so yes, a lot of swelling and months in hospital to recover. My leg was so swollen after the break (it was in 3 pieces) that I had to wait a week in traction for the swelling to subside for surgery.

I tried to have the k-nail removed a few years later, but the surgeon couldn't get it out - he opened me up and tried his best, but decided to leave it in. This was a long time ago (40 years this month), so I'm sure orthopaedic surgery has improved since then.

Good luck with your surgery. I did carry an X-ray in my earlier flying days just in case it did set off alarms, but it never did. It's probably too deep, being totally incased inside the femur. Your metal "equipment" will be closer to the surface.

I still have bad memories after a broken pelvis and femur. Told no full body weight yet by hospital. 

PERTH OZ AIRPORT staff literally dragged me out of a wheelchair through the metal detector, refusing to use a hand wand. :post-4641-1156693976:

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1

15 hours ago, HuskerDo2 said:

I'll be getting a hip replacement next week and the other side 2 months later. I was told the titanium in the joint will set off the scanners at the airport. I know in the US it isn't a big deal as so many people have had hip replacements the airport staff can quickly identify what is setting off the scanner alarms. However, I don't know about the airports in Thailand and Philippines. Does anyone know if it'll be a big hassle getting thru the airport scanners there or does the airport staff understand about hip replacements and the associated titanium?

Thanks all!!

Get a letter in Thai from the attending surgeon giving info if you're worried about being dragged into a back room and given the oh-so-silky intimate latex treatment lol ????

I got ceramic and titanium ones and I pop through scanners all over the globe regularly and have not had any issues. If the staff do you can show them your scars right there and then which will hurry them up right pronto lol  ????????

A bit different, but I had a pacemaker implanted a few years back. Hospital gave me an ID card in case any security problems. Sometimes nothing, couple of times pulled aside for a wand search.
I think most busy airports are well familiar with an increasing “android” traffic.

Now a days... You'll not have a problem other than the fact that you'll always get that extra bit of inspection after walking through the metal detector and if the guy in front wore his shoe and you followed suit, you'll be required to remove them and go through a second time. I have 2 hip replacements (2008 & 2018) and 1 knee (2007). I used to travel every month in or out. You tell them the situation, they won't care and will just 'wand you' after the metal detector. It takes 1 minute longer to go thru security. (maybe 2).  (Sometimes the metal detector doesn't go off. SIngapore was the best)

You don't need any letters or certificates. It's not complicated.

Edited by AgMech Cowboy

2 hours ago, brianthainess said:

I still have bad memories after a broken pelvis and femur. Told no full body weight yet by hospital. 

PERTH OZ AIRPORT staff literally dragged me out of a wheelchair through the metal detector, refusing to use a hand wand. :post-4641-1156693976:

Then, ignore my comment above... I was talking about the rest of the world, not the police country of Australia where they bang up teenagers for having a beer at the beech with +$1,000 fines and drag pregnant women from their homes for trying to organize a protest.
Yep, their customs and security folk can be pretty unreasonable. 

• Love It 1

11 hours ago, HuskerDo2 said:

Thanks John. I knew about not flying for a while. Not sure why that's an issue. Sitting at home in my recliner or couch isn't any different than sitting in an airport seat. 

Thrombosis occurs due to immobility for extended periods, quite common on an aircraft. You can move around from your recliner or couch any time you want.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, HuskerDo2 said:

Sitting at home, you can get up, walk about, step out to the pub or whatever, unless your wife puts the Seatbelts Sign on.

I've got a lot of metal in my leg and since getting it have very seldom set off the detectors.  I believe it's down to titanium not being magnetic, which would also acount for the stainless steel comment above.

I asked my doctor at the time if there was something he could give me to ease the way at security but his response was no, you just have to let them do their job.

4 hours ago, swm59nj said:

You should get a card from your doctor to show airport personnel.  If the scanner is set off.  They have no idea what is doing it.  

They take you aside and look for weapons.  I’ve often been given a scan with the hand wand, and a bit of a pat down.  I’ve never been strip searched.  

22 hours ago, kwonitoy said:

My Hospital gave me a card saying I'd had a hip replacement, it is useless, nobody cares to see it.

I flew out of  Udon Thani as my home airport, the scanners there weren't functional, they never beeped when I went through

State you have a hip replacement, made to go through scanner, scanner beeps get pulled aside for a hand scan with the wand, the wand beeps and then a hand pat down.

This is now your new normal, I used to fly a lot for work and it is something you have to get used to.

Airport screeners are on a whole poorly trained including the US 

In Australia I said I had a hip replacement, scanner beeped, wand beeped, given a hand pat down and the young man felt the rivets on my jeans and said, Oh I can feel your hip. 

I find I had less hassle in Thailand as they don't really care.

In the US it's off with the shoes, belt, wallet, tell them hip replacement, they don't care as it's usually to busy, scanner beeps, go back again, scanner beeps, wand check, wand beeps, hand pat down.

A full body scanner is no problem and the preferred way to go if possible.

Second this

23 hours ago, HuskerDo2 said:

its about pressure differentials

• 7 months later...
On 7/27/2023 at 9:53 PM, HuskerDo2 said:

Thanks all!!