Widespread online scams pose daunting challenge to Thai authorities

webfact

image.jpeg

Thai victims of online scams have lost an estimated over 10 billion baht a year in recent years.

Wetang Phuangsup, deputy permanent secretary at the Ministry of Digital Economy and Society, recently revealed that between March 1, 2022 and July 15, 2023, a total of 296,063 cases of online scams were reported, inflicting financial fraud amounting to 39.1 billion baht.

During the same period, 20,667 people were lured by fraud investment schemes run by criminal gangs, inflicting losses of 20.7 billion baht on these victims, Wetang, who is also spokesperson of the ministry, said.

Cheating through impersonation 

Pakorn Peetathawatchai, president of the Stock Exchange of Thailand (SET), said that many people had become victims of investment scams, as scammers impersonate organizations and well-known figures in order to lure people into their fraudulent investment schemes and online criminal activities.

Full story: https://www.thaipbsworld.com/widespread-online-scams-pose-daunting-challenge-to-thai-authorities/

Logo-top-.png

-- © Copyright Thai PBS 2023-07-31

- Cigna offers a range of visa-compliant plans that meet the minimum requirement of medical treatment, including COVID-19, up to THB 3m. For more information on all expat health insurance plans click here.

2 hours ago, HuskerDo2 said:

This is happening world-wide. Too many people spend their days online or on social media. The world was far better without Social Media, Twitter, Facebook and all the rest that keep people planted in front of a screen all day rather than interacting with people face to face. Unfortunate. As I've said many times, I'm glad I was born when I was as I don't want to see what this world has turned into 30 years from now.

Young people will never understand how great life was in the 50's, 60's and 70's. Even most of the 80's. Unfortunately, those days will never return. Too bad for today's youth.

Tend to agree with most of what you say, the internet is a great tool... but no-one really envisaged the darker side that would evolve.

But then that's not down to the internet, it's the people?

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

32 minutes ago, hotchilli said:

Tend to agree with most of what you say, the internet is a great tool... but no-one really envisaged the darker side that would evolve.

The problem is the kids are addicted to the phones from a really young age. They can't imagine life without them whilst us oldies don't remember getting bored in our youth. Card games, board games, cards on rainy days, and on sunny days mother would tell us to get out of the house and enjoy some sunshine.

But the article here is about scams, bogus companies, impersonating famous figures.

Constant warnings on state media is one answer but online transfer of money is so easy, the predators only need one victim in a hundred to make it worthwhile.

A personal example of internet mystery - this month my AIS bill jumped from its standard 640 baht to 840 baht. Upon making enquiries, the staff pointed to one evening in July where my phone apparently sent 24 international SMS messages at 9 baht apiece in the space of one or two seconds apart, all to the same number!

I pointed out I most certainly never sent these messages and my phone was definitely in my possession at the time (9.00 pm).

But what can a poor boy do? Pay up or get cut off 

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

6 hours ago, HuskerDo2 said:

This is happening world-wide. Too many people spend their days online or on social media. The world was far better without Social Media, Twitter, Facebook and all the rest that keep people planted in front of a screen all day rather than interacting with people face to face. Unfortunate. As I've said many times, I'm glad I was born when I was as I don't want to see what this world has turned into 30 years from now.

Young people will never understand how great life was in the 50's, 60's and 70's. Even most of the 80's. Unfortunately, those days will never return. Too bad for today's youth.

+1

3 hours ago, bannork said:

Constant warnings on state media is one answer but online transfer of money is so easy,

Wifi on my phone always off.

No apps other than the Samsung ones that I cannot delete.  ????

Mind you, I too could be 'scammed' with the International SMS's that hit you, except that my AIS package has unlimited SMS.

Cloning a phone these days is all too easy for the technical savvy criminals.

4 hours ago, hotchilli said:

Absolutely right. Whatever man invents, man corrupts. Drones are now being used as weapons of war, and I dread what will happen with AI. Already it has been used by some to make the world's most deadly chemicals even more lethal. I'm pretty sure that it won't be too long before the human race destroys itself. Certainly, Planet Earth would be far better off without us.

• Thumbs Up 1

4 hours ago, bannork said:

The problem is the kids are addicted to the phones from a really young age. They can't imagine life without them whilst us oldies don't remember getting bored in our youth. Card games, board games, cards on rainy days, and on sunny days mother would tell us to get out of the house and enjoy some sunshine.

But the article here is about scams, bogus companies, impersonating famous figures.

Constant warnings on state media is one answer but online transfer of money is so easy, the predators only need one victim in a hundred to make it worthwhile.

A personal example of internet mystery - this month my AIS bill jumped from its standard 640 baht to 840 baht. Upon making enquiries, the staff pointed to one evening in July where my phone apparently sent 24 international SMS messages at 9 baht apiece in the space of one or two seconds apart, all to the same number!

I pointed out I most certainly never sent these messages and my phone was definitely in my possession at the time (9.00 pm).

But what can a poor boy do? Pay up or get cut off 

Something similar happened to me many years ago. I called the phone company and they said there was nothing they could do about it and that I'd have to pay. I then asked for a supervisor. I told her that if I was charged for these bogus charges I'd stop my service. I told her to consider the difference between what the bogus charges were and what they'd make off of me if I remained a customer for the next 10 years. She immediately dropped the bogus charges.