Can ED visa be changed to retirement without leaving?

I've read as many old posts as I could find and asked a couple of agents too, and have different answers on whether it's possible to convert from an ED visa to Non-O retirement or not without leaving the country and returning as a tourist or VE, etc.

Does anybody have recent experience with this?

The application form states: "for the foreigner, who has Tourist or Transit Visa and want to applies for a change of type of visa (from Tourist Visa or Transit Visa to Non-Immigrant Visa)." That doesn't mention other types.

Thanks.

I think yes, you can. You already have got a NON O visa, so you will have to only change the reason for the extension from studying to retirement.

But wait for more knowledge people to answer your question, am not sure about it.

6 minutes ago, pub2022 said:

I think yes, you can. You already have got a NON O visa, so you will have to only change the reason for the extension from studying to retirement.

But wait for more knowledge people to answer your question, am not sure about it.

Education visa isn't non-o.

2 hours ago, Myran said:

Education visa isn't non-o.

The Police Order on extensions of stay only states that you must be on a non immigrant entry. A Non Ed visa is a non immigrant visa. That said, it has certainly been known, rightly or wrongly, for immigration offices to refuse an extension of stay for a different reason than than used for the previous permission to stay. An agent should have no trouble.

• Confused 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, BritTim said:

The Police Order on extensions of stay only states that you must be on a non immigrant entry. A Non Ed visa is a non immigrant visa. That said, it has certainly been known, rightly or wrongly, for immigration offices to refuse an extension of stay for a different reason than than used for the previous permission to stay. An agent should have no trouble.

I stated that an education visa is not a non-o. That's it.

Just now, Myran said:

I stated that an education visa is not a non-o. That's it.

What you stated is correct, but is irrelevant if the conditions for issuing a retirement extension in the Police Order are followed by the immigration office.

• Thumbs Up 1

Just now, BritTim said:

What you stated is correct, but is irrelevant if the conditions for issuing a retirement extension in the Police Order are followed by the immigration office.

It is relevant as an answer to the incorrect statement that en education visa is a non-o.

Yes it can be changed, but many Pattaya agents won't do it and many of those agents won't even do the renewal even if you've already changed the reason to  retirement giving the excuse that the local immigration won't allow it with a previous non-ED.  However many of the BKK agents can to it and renewals are around the same price as what the agents in Pattaya charge.  My local immigration office up country insisted that the reason can be legally changed once I turned 50 a few years ago.  I went from a non-B to non-ED then finally to non-O.  

Please note that when you change the non-imm reason, the extension date will start from the date of the application and not on the date of the pervious permission to stay expiry.

Looked into doing exactly this in Phuket a month ago and was told not possible by the immigration volunteers and a couple of agents.  One agent did offer to do it for THB60,000 but wasn’t convinced they fully understood what I was asking and if so it wouldn’t have been done in Phuket. 

3 hours ago, mrwebb8825 said:

sort of moot now but begs the question: Why didn't you get a Non-O retirement in the 1st place and just attend the classes you wanted? Would have been much easier. Ah, se-lä-vē :wai:

I'm just guessing but maybe the OP wasn't yet 50 years old at the time? That's typically the reason for getting a Non-ED visa first.

Thanks for the replies.

I'm not sure what would be the best course of action in this case.

I could go to Chaengwattana and try when the time comes, knowing that I may be denied (and out ฿2k+) and then what? I'd need to be prepared to exit the country and return as a tourist? Go to Vientiane and return visa exempt, and try again, or something else? (The Non-O Retirement form mentions TM.87 when returning without visa, if I am reading correctly.)

Getting an agent is the other path, but it sounds like that will cost ฿25-30k+, and I don't even need their help with a bank account.

Edited by avidorn

At CW, if you apply for an extension of stay based on retirement, and they refuse to do that because your existing permission to stay is for studying at an informal school,, you will not be charged, just told they will not accept the application. If your application is accepted, the cost of the extension is 1,900 baht.

I suggest you apply for the extension based on retirement at least two weeks early. That will give you time to decide on a suitable plan B if the application is refused.

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, avidorn said:

Go to Vientiane and return visa exempt, and try again, or something else? (The Non-O Retirement form mentions TM.87 when returning without visa, if I am reading correctly.)

That is possible.

Do you have a Thai bank account in your name only..

9 hours ago, BritTim said:

At CW, if you apply for an extension of stay based on retirement, and they refuse to do that because your existing permission to stay is for studying at an informal school,, you will not be charged, just told they will not accept the application. If your application is accepted, the cost of the extension is 1,900 baht.

I suggest you apply for the extension based on retirement at least two weeks early. That will give you time to decide on a suitable plan B if the application is refused.

Thanks BritTim, after posting I realized they'd probably just turn me away if it isn't possible. Yes, I'd definitely want to allow some time, and am not sure what timing is best.

And then it sounds like I would hop out and back in, as DrJack54 posted? I'm from a visa-exempt country, and it appears that would mean using form TM.87 if I'm reading correctly. (I've read the visa-exempt period was returned to 30 days from the temporary 45.)

This would all be a first-time "learning experience." Maybe fine, maybe not fine. Maybe pay a fine.

10 minutes ago, avidorn said:

? I'm from a visa-exempt country, and it appears that would mean using form TM.87 if I'm reading correctly. (I've read the visa-exempt period was returned to 30 days from the temporary 45.

Yes visa exempt entry provides a 30 day stamp.

If you obtain the non O retirement in Bangkok you will attend LakSi immigration located IT mall Laksi.

Do you have a Thai bank account? 

Here is short thread....

Edited by DrJack54

22 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

Here is short thread....

Thanks for the link, I see your responses there regarding timing and forms. I'd need to transfer money to the account soon to meet the 2-month requirement. (Correct? I've read that enough times, though curiously there doesn't appear to be a timeframe listed on the form.)

I think a plan would be to try 15+ days prior to the expiration of my current/final extension, then assuming that doesn't work be prepared to exit and try again 15+ days out after returning on the 30-day visa exemption.

Think they're okay with returning visa-exempt immediately after a year of study? I feel like that or some other issue would be the main risk, which is the concern about exiting and returning.

So no Chaengwatthana and instead the IT mall, eh?

1 hour ago, avidorn said:

Folk entering with a tourist visa attend CW and use form TM86.

Those with visa exempt entry attend LakSi and use form TM87.

The non O retirement requires 800k in Thai bank account on day of application.

The non O stamp provides a 90 day stamp.

In the last month with the 800k having been in bank for 2 months you can apply for 12 month extension.

Obviously you require a Thai bank account..

Regarding visa exempt entry you could do a border bounce.

Obtaining a non O retirement in Savannakhet is also an option.

Also if more time is required you can obtain 30 day extension to entry stamp..

This thread has info and useful links to list of requirements also links to other threads.

Edited by DrJack54

1 hour ago, avidorn said:

Think they're okay with returning visa-exempt immediately after a year of study? I feel like that or some other issue would be the main risk, which is the concern about exiting and returning.

I have the same concerns when that time comes.

I've heard many horror stories about reentry from an ED visa.

And that getting the retirement visa ends all those concerns about re-entry issues.

If the normal application doesn't go well and you have to leave.  You many want to use an agent and a border where they are sure you will get back in with no hassle.

25 minutes ago, bigt3116 said:

You forgot to mention that you need to prove that the 800k was transferred in from abroad.

https://www.immigration.go.th/wp-content/uploads/2022/02/9.FOR-RETIREMENT-PURPOSES-50-YEARS-OLD-NON-O.pdf

Para 5.3

Thanks, I've read that requirement enough already too, but hadn't researched exactly how yet. Does the bank letter cover it? (Bank letter + passbook copy, right?)

Actually, reading the form again makes it sound like it's a separate document, but then what form does that take? Like if people use Transferwise (Wise?) or whatever service, does a printout from there count (which doesn't sound very official)?

This has probably been answered numerous times already, so I will go and read some more, too.

Edited by avidorn

48 minutes ago, Dart12 said:

I've heard many horror stories about reentry from an ED visa.

You're not helping! (Well yes of course it does, having more points of reference, I just don't want to hear that. ????)

Edited by avidorn

1 hour ago, DrJack54 said:

The non O retirement requires 800k in Thai bank account on day of application.

The non O stamp provides a 90 day stamp.

In the last month with the 800k having been in bank for 2 months you can apply for 12 month extension.

Thanks, I think that changes my understanding of the process, because I thought one needed to have the deposit in their account for 2 months prior to (first) applying, but I believe the above says no, it's for 2 months prior to the 12 month extension application, so one could apply, get the stamp, and then even wait for about a month into the 90-day period before funding the account. (Though I wouldn't wait until the last minute out of caution.)

On 8/2/2023 at 12:46 PM, avidorn said:

Thanks, I think that changes my understanding of the process, because I thought one needed to have the deposit in their account for 2 months prior to (first) applying, but I believe the above says no, it's for 2 months prior to the 12 month extension application, so one could apply, get the stamp, and then even wait for about a month into the 90-day period before funding the account. (Though I wouldn't wait until the last minute out of caution.)

To apply for 12 month extensions there must be 800k for two months prior to application and maintained for 3 months after application and not  below 400k for remaining months.

Folk using "money in the bank method" a good plan is to have a dedicated bank account for extensions.

Also if not inconvenient maintain the 800k all year round. 

Most immigration offices allow you to apply for extension up to 30 days prior to expiry of current permission of stay.

Some offices eg CW, CM etc allow applications up to 45 days early.

When you first deposit the 800k for the Non O (retirement) application you would be advised to just leave it in the account.. 

Edited by BritTim
Fixed a typo as requested by the post's author

1 hour ago, DrJack54 said:

When you first deposit the 800k for the Non O (retirement) application you would be advised to just leave it in the account..

Yes, definitely a dedicated account with the balance untouched. ????