Thaksin’s imminent return stirs hope, anxiety in Thailand

webfact

1 minute ago, SoilSpoil said:

Corrupt political families are the problem. It's called Nepotism. 

Nepotism, the practice among those with power or influence of favouring family or friends or associates especially giving them jobs. Sound familiar? Senates come to mind. Not corrupt? 

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, Eric Loh said:

Nepotism, the practice among those with power or influence of favouring family or friends or associates especially giving them jobs. Sound familiar? Senates come to mind. Not corrupt? 

I think you know the answer to that question.

• Sad 1

2 hours ago, Danny Australia said:

Thaksin was a democratically elected PM ousted by an undemocratic mean (coup).

The fact that while in exile, he still has such an overwhelming popularity amongst ordinary Thais must be respected and admired.

Any party he forms or a person he supports/nominates consistently gets the highest number of votes in any election any time anywhere.

Never understood why so many farangs here hates him. Thaksin could nominate his pet dog for the post of PM and it would win simply because the people like him. You might not like it, but It's a fact.

His party didnt win the last election. Dont you know that fact?

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Danny Australia said:

Thaksin was a democratically elected PM ousted by an undemocratic mean (coup).

The fact that while in exile, he still has such an overwhelming popularity amongst ordinary Thais must be respected and admired.

Any party he forms or a person he supports/nominates consistently gets the highest number of votes in any election any time anywhere.

Never understood why so many farangs here hates him. Thaksin could nominate his pet dog for the post of PM and it would win simply because the people like him. You might not like it, but It's a fact.

I take it you are not up to date on the latest election results. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, kingstonkid said:

I have a feeling Thaksin is hoping that Seretta will lose the vote and then they can make a deal with the senators and military to put Paetong in as PM the following week.

Problem with that is that anyone that the Senate backs at this stage will be seen as a military puppet but the MFP and a lot of PT supporters.

Frankly Mr T coming home is the wrong move for his party. 
The mililtary supporters that wear Yellow will not be happy. MFP supporters will still be in the streets.

The PT has only 2 outcomes that saves them.    

1. BJT joins the 8 coalition parties including MFP

2.  PT goes through the motions staying with the coalition and not making any deals other than saying they will not touch 112  gets defeated in 2 votes and says ok you want it you got it Anutin becomes PM and gets nothing passed.  All it takes is a budget defeat and no confidence is on the table.  There is no way the government gets anything done except for Marijuana laws.  The budget will be a disaster.

In the UK/Canada or Aus the automatic action to all his would be to sit down with either the queen or the Queen's rep to resolve it. (Canada 2008 is close to what we are going through here)

Not that she or now he can mandate anything but they can discuss and negotiate/RESOLVE ISSUES. 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2008–2009_Canadian_parliamentary_dispute

I agree with this particular sentence of your long interpretation

"  Frankly Mr T coming home is the wrong move for his party. "

I predict  Mr. Srettha will be the Next Prime Minister.  

In politics,  "It is now or never".    And the key is to grab the power as of NOW, not waiting for ......   next election and so on.   

So it will be Srettha time soon,   not Shinawatra era anymore.  

As I noted,   the Thai are ready to move on.  

But the expat communities are stubborn  and fail to move on. 

• Haha 1

9 hours ago, scorecard said:

So can any poster prove conclusively that internationally accredited observers watched and commented that the election processes were well accepted where the paymaster or his sister were involved.

Well, when his sister was elected, elections were organised under the Abhisit government by an EC appointed after the coup. I doubt they had a pro-Thaksin bias.

7 hours ago, sscc said:

I agree with this particular sentence of your long interpretation

"  Frankly Mr T coming home is the wrong move for his party. "

I predict  Mr. Srettha will be the Next Prime Minister.  

In politics,  "It is now or never".    And the key is to grab the power as of NOW, not waiting for ......   next election and so on.   

So it will be Srettha time soon,   not Shinawatra era anymore.  

As I noted,   the Thai are ready to move on.  

But the expat communities are stubborn  and fail to move on. 

I suggest you've got that backwards.

16 hours ago, LukKrueng said:

Check what was the average household debt BEFORE and AFTER his tenure in government before claiming he made the lives of the majority better.

Are you claiming that his tenure gave them the ability  to borrow money and buy household good, property and transport and that made their lives worse? Household debt is at a peak now and he has been out for 13 years.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

7 hours ago, candide said:

Well, when his sister was elected, elections were organised under the Abhisit government by an EC appointed after the coup. I doubt they had a pro-Thaksin bias.

You wrote 'elections were organized by the Abhisit government...'

That's not a shin/red gov't organizing an election  monitoring org. to monitor an eelction 

2 hours ago, jacko45k said:

Are you claiming that his tenure gave them the ability  to borrow money and buy household good, property and transport and that made their lives worse? Household debt is at a peak now and he has been out for 13 years.

Yes. He made it very easy to borrow money without any way of earning money to pay back. He basically enslaved them. And made money on the interest.

35 minutes ago, LukKrueng said:

Yes. He made it very easy to borrow money without any way of earning money to pay back. He basically enslaved them. And made money on the interest.

And yet they loved him.......

• Like 2

On 8/2/2023 at 10:24 AM, SoilSpoil said:

So were Hitler, Mugabe, Hun Sen, Chavez, Erdogan, Putin and even Napolean, just to name a few.

All of whom were de facto dictators of those countries.

And all of them murdered their own citizens.

Edited by billd766
added extra text

21 hours ago, scorecard said:

"...Thaksin was only morally guilty and was at risk from dictatorial threats,” said Somsak Jatukam, 61, a taxi driver in Bangkok."

Khun Somsak needs to do some further close reading of the real information of the events. 

I suspect that K Somsak knows far more about Thailand, Thaksin and elections than you or I ever will.

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, billd766 said:

What is more criminal than stealing an entire country at the point of a gun and with tanks to back them up. To add insult to injury every military coup leader has torn up the existing constitution, had a new constitution written in their favour, and given themselves an amnesty for all past, present and future acts.

How many generals in how many coups have EVER been punished?

Why are you ignoring the constant military coups and not condemning them?

Military coups are illegal

You keep comparing one criminal with another, What is wrong with you?

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, LukKrueng said:

Not just that, he promoted borrowing and credit claiming it would benefit domestic spending and overall economy. 

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, LukKrueng said:

So you can add Mr T to the list just the same

Therefore I will assume that you will add all those dictators including the Thai military to your list as well, and have nothing to do with them.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, freeworld said:

Who is Napolean?

I noticed the very minor spelling error, However as I knew who he was talking about, I simply ignored the error and concentrated on the message.

And no it was not Napoleon XlV.

42 minutes ago, billd766 said:

I noticed the very minor spelling error, However as I knew who he was talking about, I simply ignored the error and concentrated on the message.

And no it was not Napoleon XlV.

Better to ignore the poster who raised the childish  comment ????

• Like 1

20 hours ago, herfiehandbag said:

As far as the missing lawyers, Tak Bai or Kru Se victims are concerned, the military were behind their disappearances and deaths. In this country the military can ignore the government if they so choose, with impunity. Don't forget the military's central role in overthrowing both Shinewatra governments.

Thaksin's callous remarks regarding Tak Bai and the disappearance of the Muslim lawyer Somchai certainly fuelled an air of impunity amongst Thai authorities.

At Tak Bai scores of Muslim youth protesters suffocated whilst being transferred to an army camp from Tak Bai. Hands tied behind their backs, they were placed like logs, one on top of each other for the journey.

Thaksin remarked, ' They were weak, fasting, it was Ramadan'.

Sure, they were young, strong men 

Regarding Somchai, taken off the streets in broad daylight in Ramkhanhaeng and never seen again, Thaksin said, ' He probably had an argument with his wife and wanted a few days off.'

Thaksin, not known for his empathy 

• Thumbs Up 1