Which debit card has no annual fee?

33 minutes ago, scubascuba3 said:

If you just want the account and don't need the card, cancel it and then no annual fee. Do cardless withdrawal instead

Your solution is fine if the OP is only referring to the use of a debit card at ATMs.  Since the OP did refer specifically to a debit card he is probably intending to use it at POS or online shopping.  You solution won't help him for those circumstances.

Edited by gamb00ler
  • Sad 1

4 minutes ago, gamb00ler said:

Your solution is fine if the OP is only referring to the use of a debit card at ATMs.  Since the OP did refer specifically to a debit card he is probably intending to use it at POS or online shopping.  You solution won't help him for those circumstances.

True. So go to an ATM, do cardless withdrawal and use that old cash stuff for POS. For internet purchases, use online banking.

• Thumbs Up 2

27 minutes ago, gamb00ler said:

Can still use the account for scanning QR codes at tills and make transfers. Also Bangkok Bank has non physical cards, i forget the correct name, where you can use for online purchases

Edited by scubascuba3

3 hours ago, scubascuba3 said:

Bangkok Bank has non physical cards, i forget the correct name, where you can use for online purchases

I had that feature for a while with a US bank but they cancelled it after a couple of years.   It was called a virtual credit card.  It made protecting my real credit card number a lot easier.

I read over Bangkok bank's web pages for personal banking and I didn't see any mention of non-physical cards.  Maybe they cancelled that service.

On 8/4/2023 at 3:24 AM, NextG said:

200 baht per annum too rich for your blood?

I'd rather spend it on food.

I don't expect to use a card very much, but I think it's good to hold one in case of emergency.

I assume that in most of our home countries we're not charged such annual card fees.

• Sad 1

On 8/4/2023 at 3:41 AM, moana said:

If you must have a physical debit card then the best deal I know of is the TTB Basic Account + TTB Lite Debit Card, which is 200 baht for 5 years, no annual fee. TTB also doesn't impose the silly cross-province fees for their own ATMs/branches, so you win twice.

Thank you, it's not free but is still much better.

Just now, omnipresent said:

I don't expect to use a card very much, but I think it's good to hold one in case of emergency.

I assume that in most of our home countries we're not charged such annual card fees.

What has your home country to do with anything? 
If you think it’s a good idea to hold one in case of emergency, then it’s a good idea to be prepared to pay for one. I don’t have one, so don’t pay for one. 

2 minutes ago, NextG said:

What has your home country to do with anything?

We're used to not having to pay.

2 minutes ago, NextG said:

If you think it’s a good idea to hold one in case of emergency, then it’s a good idea to be prepared to pay for one.

I'd rather still want to avoid such fees if possible.

I did hold Thai bank cards for many years in the past but found I rarely used them but was charged automatically for them every year, so I thought they were a waste of money and cancelled all of them.

On 8/4/2023 at 10:41 AM, moana said:

If you must have a physical debit card then the best deal I know of is the TTB Basic Account + TTB Lite Debit Card, which is 200 baht for 5 years, no annual fee. TTB also doesn't impose the silly cross-province fees for their own ATMs/branches, so you win twice.

Then the question becomes, how is TTB when it comes to opening new accounts for foreigners?

In the past, back when they were just Thai Military Bank (TMB), as best as I recall, they weren't very accommodating unless maybe you had a Thai work permit.

But not sure if things are better or worse after their merger with Thanachart Bank.

Edited by TallGuyJohninBKK

1 minute ago, omnipresent said:

We're used to not having to pay.

I'd rather still want to avoid such fees if possible.

I did hold Thai bank cards for many years in the past but found I rarely used them but was charged automatically for them every year, so I thought they were a waste of money and cancelled all of them.

Let us know how it goes with ttb..

17 minutes ago, omnipresent said:

Try $5 a month

2 hours ago, NextG said:

I don’t know of any foreigners who have this account. Perhaps you can let us know if you get to open one. 

I have it.

2 hours ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

Then the question becomes, how is TTB when it comes to opening new accounts for foreigners?

As with any bank here, it's a luck-of-the-draw thing. In my case all they wanted to see was a passport with a one-year visa/extension and proof of address (=pink Thai ID). In and out in ~20 minutes or so.

Edit: Opened back when they were TMB, pre-merger with Thanachart.

Edited by moana

5 minutes ago, moana said:

I have it.

As with any bank here, it's a luck-of-the-draw thing. In my case all they wanted to see was a passport with a one-year visa/extension and proof of address (=pink Thai ID). In and out in ~20 minutes or so.

Edit: Opened back when they were TMB, pre-merger with Thanachart.

Location?

4 hours ago, NextG said:

I don’t know of any foreigners who have this account. Perhaps you can let us know if you get to open one. 

I have a TTB 'all free' and a TTB 'no fixed' account.

If i make 5 transactions a month on the 'all free' it gives me an additional 0.5% on my 'no fixed' account.

No ATM fees for using any ATM in Thailand.

Debit card costs 250bht/year.

Edited by BritManToo

18 minutes ago, gargamon said:

Everyone accepts payments with QR codes these days, even vendors in night markets. Payments on lazada or shopee too. ATM cards are so 1990s. Catch up with the times. 

Really....................????

• Thumbs Up 1

25 minutes ago, gargamon said:

Everyone accepts payments with QR codes these days, even

Everyone accepts payments with QR codes these days, even all the QR code scammers!

A QR code is a very easy way to be scammed!

Beware of QR Code Scams | disb (dc.gov)

FBI warns hackers are planting fake QR CODES in restaurants that steal your data when you click link | Daily Mail Online

QR codes may be OK inside a well established business/building but never on external things like parking meters etc!

I will never use a QR code for any form of payment!

Edited by scottiejohn
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, scottiejohn said:

Everyone accepts payments with QR codes these days, even all the QR code scammers!

A QR code is a very easy way to be scammed!

Beware of QR Code Scams | disb (dc.gov)

FBI warns hackers are planting fake QR CODES in restaurants that steal your data when you click link | Daily Mail Online

QR codes may be OK inside a well established business/building but never on external things like parking meters etc!

I will never use a QR code for any form of payment!

My banking app is the only thing I will use to scan QR codes. All the references you link to are about people scanning QR codes that link them to malware. That won't happen in the banking app. 

I uses US issued CC in stores where they accept it, including 7/11. It has three main advantages a) 100% fraud protection b) At least 2% cash back c) Using other people's money for up to 50-days. I Use QR code to pay where they don't take CC, including sugar babies. Use ATM cash for buying weed and bolt. Don't mind paying ATM annual fees because I get it back more than that from my 2% CC cash back. Yes, I know I can use cashless ATM. Bulk of my expenses are in CC, followed by QR code and the least is cash. 

Edited by FaltuMora

15 hours ago, NextG said:

Location?

Pretty sure it was in Hua Hin.

10 hours ago, JoseThailand said:

Yes, there are, at Krungsri. You just pay a higher fee for issuing the card, and then no annual fee for 3 years.

It's actually 100 issuing fee + 380 every 3 years. I guess it is technically not an annual fee, it's a triennial fee, but it's not great compared to 200 flat for 5 years.

Btw, if you try to get the TTB Lite card they will probably try to upsell you on the All Free account + card. Stick to your guns and take the Basic account + Lite card, a much better deal.

• Thanks 1