Someone can explain in noob English please?

BenStark

For my new PC I have a MB that has 2 M2 NVMe connectors.

I bought a 250 GB WD Black M.2 for the operating system, and have a Crucial 500 GB MX500 2.5 Inch for the data and programs.

According to the manual, I think it would be preferable to have the M.2 in the M2P_CPU slot, but since I bought a heatsink for it, the CPU cooler obstructs mounting it properly.

So can someone look at this manual, and advise what I should do?

image.png.b705e6fd20b73f8bf35b9780c83980c2.png

13 minutes ago, OneMoreFarang said:

SATA3 is restricted if you use M2A_SB.

Likely you will have additional SATA ports. Just use another SATA port like SATA4 and don't use SATA3.

Then you can use your M.2 in M2A_SB. 

Problem solved. 

SATA4? 

https://sata-io.org/sata-io-frequently-asked-questions

When is SATA 4.0 at 12Gb/s coming?
There are no plans to extend SATA bandwidth beyond the current 6Gb/s transfer rate since the change requires signigicant changes to the PHY section of the specification, the impact to compliance testing and compatibility. SATA-IO will continue to maintain and make improvements to the specification to insure the stability, compatibility and reliability that SATA has and will continue to deliver into the future.

On 8/3/2023 at 2:09 PM, OneMoreFarang said:

SATA3 is restricted if you use M2A_SB.

Likely you will have additional SATA ports. Just use another SATA port like SATA4 and don't use SATA3.

Then you can use your M.2 in M2A_SB. 

Problem solved. 

It would actually be SATA3 (1) that would be affected if he utilised an M.2 SATA drive on M2A_SB. But he isn’t, so it doesn’t matter anyway. 

1 hour ago, NextG said:

It would actually be SATA3 (1) that would be affected if he utilised an M.2 SATA drive on M2A_SB. But he isn’t, so it doesn’t matter anyway. 

Correct.

I have to admit I was a little confused about the numbering system.

There was a time when I built PC almost every month. Now it's seldom that I built anything with more than one "disk".