Daughter's name different on passport and ID card.

My daughter has both Thai and Australian passports.

Her mother recently took her to City Hall for an ID card, she got the ID then they went to the bank and opened a bank account with Kasikorn bank.

The problem is that both her Thai ID card and bank account have her middle name misspelt. 

So passports have a different middle name (misspelt) to her ID card and bank account.

Looking for thoughts on best way moving forward. 

Cheers

Edited by Cricky
  • Confused 1

2 hours ago, Cricky said:

My daughter has both Thai and Australian passports.

Her mother recently took her to City Hall for an ID card, she got the ID then they went to the bank and opened a bank account with Kasikorn bank.

The problem is that both her Thai ID card and bank account have her middle name misspelt. 

So passports have a different middle name (misspelt) to her ID card and bank account.

Cheers

I've had a similar experience  - I assume you are talking about the English language middle name reference.I'm not sure there's much practical impact (unless Kasikorn is being awkward). The key document is the Thai ID card.She could simply ask the Bank if they would like to amend their records - up to them to decide.

I don't think it matters what the passport says as long as the Thai version is correct.Foreign immigration don't care and Thai immigration probably don't either.But when the opportunity arises make sure the name is the same in Thai ID, passport, bank records etc.

8 hours ago, Maestro said:

Let's look at these things one at a time.

Question 1 (Q1): By comparison with what do you consider your daughter's middle name on her ID card to be misspelled?

Her middle name

Madison

was misspelt on Thai ID card

Medison.

Now bank account misspelt

Edited by Cricky

6 hours ago, jayboy said:

The key document is the Thai ID card

Yes, agree.

The problem will be future acounts/business, jobs applied for etc that she uses her ID card for, or she does any business with, will always have incorrect spelling

Edited by Cricky
  • Like 1

52 minutes ago, FriendlyFarang said:

What is the question here?

If the name is misspelt you should have it corrected. (First the ID card, then the bank account)

I'm looking for issues if it's not corrected.

It's a forum, am I not allowed to ask.

Report me if you feel the need

Edited by Cricky
  • Confused 2
  • Sad 1

I assume it's misspelt in English and not in Thai, right? Being Thai, the name written in Thai on the ID card is the most important, not the named in English. As for the bank account, so far I've never seen a bank book of a Thai person showing the name in English. Besides, I had to look 3 times at the correct spelling and the misspelling to realise it was the letter a replaced with an e (and I guess that's why you\she didn't notice it as soon as she got the id card, so I think no one will notice it if not told.

As for future business, job applications and whatever - in Thailand most, if not all documents are in Thai, so I can't see any problems there. In order to deposit money to get account all one needs is her account number or her phone number or her id number for prompt pay.

Strongly advise getting it corrected - can be an issue at some point by some official - especially in today's world.  We had issue over 20 years ago in Chiang Mai where airline/immigration was refusing to board granddaughter (Thai names) due birth certificate name in Thai slightly different than airline ticket (and they are much more strict these days).  Luckily we had attachment to birth certificate explaining error on original BC but it had to go to the top for approval.    

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

55 minutes ago, bbi1 said:

Why would you not have corrected it in the first place when then Thai ID card was first issued with the incorrect spelling? Would've seemed like the smartest and logical thing to do immediately so no future issues would come up, like they are coming up right now.

The mother got the ID card for her

Things always seem to go pear shaped when she's involved

Edited by Cricky

1 hour ago, LukKrueng said:

I assume it's misspelt in English and not in Thai, right? Being Thai, the name written in Thai on the ID card is the most important, not the named in English. As for the bank account, so far I've never seen a bank book of a Thai person showing the name in English. Besides, I had to look 3 times at the correct spelling and the misspelling to realise it was the letter a replaced with an e (and I guess that's why you\she didn't notice it as soon as she got the id card, so I think no one will notice it if not told.

As for future business, job applications and whatever - in Thailand most, if not all documents are in Thai, so I can't see any problems there. In order to deposit money to get account all one needs is her account number or her phone number or her id number for prompt pay.

Now this is another great reply, come to think of it my gf has 2 bank accounts that I deposit funds into at times ???? both are similar names but different

The only time I can see an issue is when passport is checked against  something  created using Thai Id or Thai bank. For example purchased airline ticket using Thai Id/bank so the name on boarding pass not matching oz passport. 
I recommend amending it just to be sure to be sure????????????

14 hours ago, Cricky said:

How hard is it to go to the local amphur and get a new ID card with the correct spelling, then ask the bank to update their computer? Then any potential future problems with the names are avoided.

• Thumbs Up 2

1 hour ago, lopburi3 said:

Strongly advise getting it corrected - can be an issue at some point by some official - especially in today's world.  We had issue over 20 years ago in Chiang Mai where airline/immigration was refusing to board granddaughter (Thai names) due birth certificate name in Thai slightly different than airline ticket (and they are much more strict these days).  Luckily we had attachment to birth certificate explaining error on original BC but it had to go to the top for approval.    

Very strange. Up until about 20 years ago no one checked id or passport for domestic flights. I had a friend that always booked domestic tickets in Thailand for his friends and employees under his own name so he can accumulate the miles. They started checking documents after a bomb went off on a plane that Mr T was supposed to board (they later claimed it wasn't a bomb but Aircon gas mishap....). Back then Thai IDs didn't have any detail in English. Thai only.

Another point is that airline tickets always show the name in English and never in Thai, whereas Thai birth certificates show the name only in Thai (don't know how it is today, but definitely that was the case 20 years ago).

And a 3rd point - I have dual nationalities and there's a 1 letter difference in the family name between the 2 passports. I always book flights using the same spelling\passport details, but check in with either passport according to my destination. Never ever had any problem not asked any questions about it

10 minutes ago, LukKrueng said:

Very strange. Up until about 20 years ago no one checked id or passport for domestic flights.

They often did for a minor child.  But had not been flagged on flight from Bangkok - only on return from Chiang Mai.  Our names are not the same as child but her older sister was also traveling with us.

Edited by lopburi3

The 'English' Spelling on Thai ID card is usually transliterated from the Thai spelling, depending on the officers in charge

there is a system they adhere to, you have to insist on spelling it 'your way'

hence the mismatch, better check that her Thai spelling is how it should sounds too

3 hours ago, Cricky said:
4 hours ago, FriendlyFarang said:

What is the question here?

If the name is misspelt you should have it corrected. (First the ID card, then the bank account)

I'm looking for issues if it's not corrected.

It's a forum, am I not allowed to ask.

Not the way to get advice. You were offered practical and correct advice and you make a snarky comment.

Now it's my turn. If it's not corrected then you might have issues down the road, so how about getting the problem corrected? Hmm?

• Thumbs Up 1

12 hours ago, jayboy said:

I've had a similar experience  - I assume you are talking about the English language middle name reference.I'm not sure there's much practical impact (unless Kasikorn is being awkward). The key document is the Thai ID card.She could simply ask the Bank if they would like to amend their records - up to them to decide.

I don't think it matters what the passport says as long as the Thai version is correct.Foreign immigration don't care and Thai immigration probably don't either.But when the opportunity arises make sure the name is the same in Thai ID, passport, bank records etc.

Most important is that any documents used for identification in conjunction with international travel must be the same.  Had the same issue with my step-daughter, phonetic spelling is all too common here.  School/university documents when the time comes could also be important in future employment applications or other situations.  And even processing of such things as a Will.  A name in a Will should match the ID card name.  So many possibilities for future issues when names are not correct everywhere.

Edited by dlclark97
Missing word

I had the same issue.

One of my daughters had a discrepancy between the Thai passport(and ID) and UK passport, middle name misspelt by one letter. I was worried about consequences when travelling to the UK recently. We had to apply for a new Thai passport so just told the passport office in Robinson's Petchburi that the passports had to match. They said they couldn't do it until we first went to Big C Petchburi, where there is an office for ID cards. We told them that the spelling must match the UK passport, so they gave her a new ID card, then back to passport office to get the passport with matching spelling. 

In your case, you would then go to the bank to tell them your ID card is new with a slight change in spelling. 

Best to get everything the same, doesn't take long in Thailand but to change in Australia would. 

Edited by Neeranam

1 hour ago, digbeth said:

The 'English' Spelling on Thai ID card is usually transliterated from the Thai spelling, depending on the officers in charge

there is a system they adhere to, you have to insist on spelling it 'your way'

hence the mismatch, better check that her Thai spelling is how it should sounds too

Different processes for changing the Thai spelling to the English spelling. It's much easier to change the English transcription.

She can probably function and enjoy life with her docs misspelled....  her main possible issues are going to be when dealing with people who are to the letter in their precision/sticking to the rules (like say many Japanese civil servants or insurance claims people looking for a reason to nullify some  policy or payout).   

Would it be an issue in life? Mostly no, except at perhaps the worse possible time, as Heng, suggests.

Is it hard to change? No. A quick trip to the district office to get a new ID card issued, and then the next passport the name will be updated.

A couple of years ago, I renewed my Thai driver's license and dumb me didn't check the spelling. For my middle name I only use a letter. It Is suppose to be H, but they put on my license a P. One year later I was doing some financial stuff and they wanted two picture id's. They wouldn't complete my paperwork because the two id's didn't match 100%. Of course I argued, as the birthdate and address were the same, but they wouldn't accept it. So I went back and had my driver's lic re-issued with the proper matching name. So my advice to you is to avoid any unknown issues in the future. Go back and get her Thai id corrected, then take it to the bank and update them. I know it's a pain in the butt to do all of that. but I look at it as a learning experience so I don't (your wife) won't make the same mistake again.

• Thumbs Up 1

23 minutes ago, Maestro said:

From what you say, both in her Australian passport and in her Thai passport her middle name was written as Madison when the passports were issued. Now, when she applied for her Thai ID card, the card was issued with her middle name written as Medison.

I recommend that she go to the district office that issued the ID card, show them the Thai passport and ask them to issue a new ID card with the middle name in English written exactly the same was as it is in the passport, ie as Madison.

My thoughts exactly.

Thank you ????

For me its when two documents are needed to be used at the same time but are different.

Using each on its on for one thing is likely fine, I had Thai versions of my middle name different on multiple documents and each are fine on their own.

When I went to register parenthood of my son though the spelling on his birth certificate was one letter out in the middle name from my Thai ID so they refused to process things.

I had to go to another office prepared with a translation of my passport that specifically matched that on my Thai ID to get the birth certificate changed.

I don't know about your specific context but the Thai translations of names tends to be important and often worth getting an official translation and using the same translation for every new document you need with your Thai name.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1